Facts and Events
Christian Bumgardner (Bomgardner) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 220.--18th May, 1784. John Waddel and Mary ( ) to Christian Bomgardner and Lewis Celamous (Childmour). Delivered: Jacob Bumgardner, 1st October, 1790. (Note: Christian Bomgardner's son Jacob married Mary Waddle, daughter of John Waddle and Mary, listed in this record).
- Christian Bumgardner received a Savage Land Grant of 400 acres (Lot 48) on the Guyandotte River for his service in the French & Indian War.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - 23d December, 1772--Letter of George Washington to Mr. Rind, publisher of Gazette, giving public information as to the distribution of the said lands. Capt. Wm. Crawford is appointed surveyor. Allotments now made to George Muse, Adam Stephen, Andrew Lewis, Peter Hog, John West, John Polson, Andrew Wagener; also allotments to George Mercer, his brother, John Mercer, and two Sergeants, Jno. Hamilton, Mark Hollis; also to the heirs of Col. Joshua Fry; also to Dr. James Craik, Sergeant Brickner; also a subaltern officer, John Savage; also to Sergeants Robert Langdon, Robt. Tunstall, Edd. Wagener, Richard Toller; also to Corporals Wm. Johnson, Hugh McKoy, Jno. Smith, Richard Smith also to Privates Charles Smith, Angus McDonald, Nathan Chapman, Joseph Gatewood, James Samuel, Michael Sully, Edward Goodwin, William Bailey, Henry Bailey, Wm. Coffland, Mathew Doran, John Ramsey, Charles James, Mathew Cox, Marshall Pratt, John Wilson, William Johnston, John Wilson, Nathaniel Barrett, David Gorman, Patrick Galloway, Timothy Conway, Christian Bombgardner, John Houstonn, John Maid, James Ford, William Broughton, William Carnes, Edward Evins, Thos. Moss, Mathew Jones, Philip Gatewood, Hugh Paul, Daniel Staples, William Lowery, James Ludlow, James Lafort, James Givin, Joshua Jordan, William Jenkins, James Commack, Richard Morris, John Ghalson, Robert Jones, William Hagan, John Franklin, John Bishop, George Malcomb, William Coleman, Richard Bottan, Jno. Cincaid, Geo. Hunt
- Vol. 2 - Table of lots and patents, viz: Lots numbered 1, &c., &c., in order of the names following: Nathaniel Chapman, George Hunt, John Smith, Geo. Malcomb, Richard Trotter, Richd. Smith, Robert Jones, Charles James, John Kincaid, Mathew Doran, Richd. Balton, John Franklin, William Johnston, William Jenkins, James Ludlow, Edward Goodwin, Jno. Ghalson, James Latrott, Richard Morris, William Copland, Daniel Staples, William Bailey, Thomas Moss, Philip Gatewood, Henry Bailey, Mathew Cox, Charles Smith, John Houston, Christian Bumbgardner, Wm. Carnes, Wm. Coalman, John Maid, James Ford, Timothy Conway, John Wilson, John Wilson, James Samuel, Hugh Paul, William Lowry, John Bishop, Angus McDonald, John Savage, William Broughton, Edmund Waggener, Mathew Jones, Wm. Johnston, David Gorman, Nathaniel Barrett, Robert Funstall, Robert Langdon, Joshua Jourdan, Edward Evan, John Ramsey, Michael Scully, Marshall Pratt, James Givinn, William Hogan, James Cammack, Patrick Galloway, Hugh McCoy, Joseph Gatewood. (These papers are in suit for distribution of 28,627 acres allotted to Savage et als., under decree of the Chancelor of Chancery, District Court, of Staunton, of 4th July, 1815., immediately follows record above)
- Vol. 2 - Grant by Dunmore, 16th December, 1772, of 28,627 acres as referred to above, to: John Savage, Ro. Langdon, Ro. Tunstall, Edmd. Waggoner, Richard Trotter, Wise Johnston, Hugh McCoy, Richard Smith, John Smith, Charles Smith, Angus McDonald, Nathan Chapman, Joseph Gatewood, James Samuel, Michl. Scully, Edward Goodwin, William Bailey, Henry Bailey, William Coffland, Nathan Doren, Jno. Ramsey, Charles James, Mathew Cox, Marshall Pratt, John Wilson, William Johnson, John Wilson, Nathl. Barrett, David Gorman, Patrick Galloway, Timothy Conway, Christian Bumgardner, Jno. Houston, John Maid, James Ford, Wm. Broughton, Wm. Carnes, Edward Evans, Thos. Moss, Matw. Jones, Philip Gatewood, Hugh Paul, Danl. Staples, Wm. Lowry, James Ludlow, James Laton, James Grim, Joshua Jordan, Wm. Jenkins, James Commach, Richd. Morris, Jno. Gholston, Ro. Jones, Wm. Hogan, Jno. Franklin, Jno. Bishop, Geo. Malcomb, Wm. Corman, Richd. Bottom, Jno. Cincaid, Geo. Hurst. This 28,627 is in County Fincastle.
- Christian Bumgardner was a wagoneer and a soldier. He was a teenager during the years of the French and Indian War, and served with then Colonel Geo.Washington in 1754. He was made 'Lieutenant of Foot' in 1757. Christian fought at Valley Forge in 1778 with General George Washington. He also fought other battles of the Revolutionary War. There are records of his serving in Michael Reader's Company of Militia. He was sometimes known as 'Christley' and he also fought along with Jacob and John Bruner. Jacob Bruner was married to Christian's sister Mary, and John Bruner was their son, Christian's nephew.