Charles Wilson, of South Branch, Potomac River, VA
d.bet. 1768-August 1775
Facts and Events
Charles Wilson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
- Page 485.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c., &c., and Anna as above, to Charles Willson, £19.13, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, on Kettle River, 131 acres, part of tract patented to Wood, Green and Russell, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: A. J. as above.
Processioning List of 1767-68
- "Processioning" was the process or periodically reviewing and agreeing upon property lines between settlers. Processioning Lists can be useful in determining the area of a settler and the neighboring settlers at a specific time period:
- Page 443.---1767-1768: Processioned by William Davis, Jno. Roraback, viz: For Henry Caffman, for John Roadaback, for John Woods, for Wm. Shuck, for Jno. Davis, for John Bennet, for Adam Rodeback, for Jeremiah Ozburn, for Charles Willson, for James Dyer.
Records of Charles Wilson in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 52.--9th March, 1745-6. Francis McCewn, yeoman, to Robert Erwin, yeoman, £12 current money; 200 acres, part of 728 acres (vid. 1, p. 48, for description). Witnesses. Charles Wilson, Samuel Norwood Thomas Taylor. Acknowledged by Francis and Margaret, his wife, 14th April, 1746.
- Page 264.--6th February, 1752. James McCewn (McKown) to Francis McCewn (McKown), conveyed to James, 14th July. 1749, 400 acres. On a Timber Ridge on North Branch of James. Teste: Archibald (Richard) Brush, James McCord, Charles Wilson.
- Page 306.--10th December, 1757. Christian Doscher's (Dosher, Dorcher appraisement, by Michael Stump, Leonard Neave, Peter Horse. Due by Charles Wilson, Christian Crosc. Due Wm. Darline, John Welton, Anthony Reager.
- Page 475.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant of James Wood, William Green and William Russell (by consent of Mary Wood, devisee of James Wood and William Russell, son and heir-at-law of said William) and Ann, his wife, to Jeremiah Ozburn (Osburn), £41.16, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract surveyed for Charles Willson, 220 acres, part of tract patented to James, William and William above, 23d October, 1750. Teste: Frederick Kister (see Easter, Hister, &c., above). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
- Page 331.-(undated, appears to be abt. 1763/4) -Settlement of Henry Horse's estate, by Sarah Horse, recorded--Cash paid Leonard Seamon, Thos. Singleton's note of hand; cash paid Hans Michael Seamon; cash paid Christopher Hoofman; cash paid Adam Brudeback; cash paid Charles Wilson; cash paid Henry Shipler;cash paid Hannah Dyer; cash paid John Duncan. Credit by Leonard Seamon for 3 years' rent of the plantation, the valuation of the improvement on the plantation made by the deceased, Henry Horse, which is now conveyed to Robert Davis, who is married to the widow of said Henry.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1767. - (241) Robert Thompson appointed surveyor of highway, vice Alexander Thompson. Henry Heffman (Keffman), same, vice Charles Willson.
Information on Charles Wilson
1. Charles Wilson Sr. son of David Willson, was born in 1710 in Antrim, Northern Ireland and died in 1768 in Augusta Co., Virginia at age 58.
General Notes: Charles' family was of Scottish descent and settled in Ulster, Ireland sometime in the 13th or 14th Century. Charles immigrated to America around 1737 and settled in Augusta Co., Virginia, now Pendleton Co., West Virginia. About 1775 he lived in a narrow valley through which the South Fork of the South Branch Potomac River flows west of the Blue Ridge.
Charles married Elizabeth.
Children from this marriage were:
- + 2 M i. Joseph Wilson was born about 1734 in County Antrim, Ulster, Northern Ireland and died on Nov 7, 1838 in Sevier Co., Tennessee about age 104.
- + 3 M ii. Charles Wilson Jr. was born in 1736 in County Antrim, Ulster, Northern Ireland and died on Sep 8, 1815 in United States at age 79.
- + 4 M iii. Isaac Wilson Sr. was born in 1741 in Augusta Co., Virginia1 and died on May 18, 1810 in Washington Co., Tennessee1 at age 69.
- 5 M iv. David Wilson was born in 1746 in Augusta Co., Virginia.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 .
Charles Wilson of Augusta County, Virginia
Charles Wilson was born in Ireland around 1710. He migrated to the United States in 1737, probably arriving in the port of Philadelphia. Charles Wilson appears in Augusta County, Virginia, on the North branch of the James River, as early as March 9, 1745 as a witness to the sale of 200 acres by Francis McCewn to Robert Erwin. Also, in 1756, Charles Wilson was a witness to the conveyance of land on the North Fork of the James River and “Tees” Creek, in what is now Nelson County, Virginia. In 1756, Charles Wilson was appointed as a Lieutenant of the Augusta County militia. The French and Indian War began in 1754 and ended in 1760. During that period the Augusta Militia, under command of Colonel George Washington, constructed, among others, Fort Seybert on the South Fork, and Fort Upper Tract on the main South Branch, about ten miles northwest of Fort Seybert. Also in 1756, Charles Wilson is listed as a taxpayer in the “lower end of Augusta County” and as an appraiser of the estate of Jacob Zorn who, it is said, was the first settler to die in the South Branch Valley.
In 1758, Indians (probably Shawnees) attacked Fort Upper Tract and massacred all of the twenty-one inhabitants and, on the day following, attacked Fort Seybert, laying siege to it for three days, and finally capturing it. All of its inhabitants were killed or carried into captivity, and only one captive, James Dyer, ever returned.
By May 8, 1761, Charles Wilson was living in the Potomac Highlands on Kettle Creek of the South Fork of the South Branch Potomac River. This area was a part of the Fairfax Grant, land granted to Lord Fairfax by King Charles II of England, the county was surveyed by George Washington when he was 16. This property, a few years later, lay partly in Rockingham County and partly in Hardy County.
Charles Wilson died between 1768 and August 1775. On August 14, 1775, Joseph Wilson, Charles’s son, and wife Mary Sears sold to Charles Wilson Jr., their half interest the same land their father had purchased in 1761. The deed describes it as “..the one hundred and thirty one acres which was devised by Charles Wilson, deceased, to the said Charles and Joseph in joint tenancy”. Joseph, along with his family, then moved to the North Carolina “western country” and settled on Mill Creek (now called Carson Creek), a branch of Big Limestone Creek, in what is now Washington County, Tennessee.
Charles Wilson had the following children:
Charles Wilson (b. _1750)
Joseph Wilson (b. ~1734)
Isaac Wilson (b. ~1741)