Facts and Events
||Charles Butt, Sr.
||London, Middlesex, Ontario, CanadaColborne Township
||Huron, Ontario, CanadaNorth Huron
||Colborne, Huron, Ontario, Canadaa Laborer
||23 MAY 1877
||Huron, Ontario, CanadaColborne Township
to Mary Ann Van Stone
||Bay, Michiganwith Mary Ann Van Stone
||Bay, Michigan, United Stateswith Mary Ann Van Stone
|| Ward 9, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States
||Bay City, Bay, Michigan
||Bay City, Bay, Michigana Laborer
||Bay City, Bay, Michigan
CHARLES BUTT SR., son of JOSEPH BUTT and ANN WINN, was born in 1850 at Colborne Township, London, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. Charles was a member of huge family. His father Joseph had 10 children in Dorset England with first wife Sarah Arnold. Around 1840 Joseph and Sarah moved the family from England to Hampton, Ontario, Canada. Sarah and her eleventh and final child died in Hampton in 1841. Given that they both died in the same year, it is likely that Sarah died in childbirth. Joseph married Charles' mother Ann in 1843. They lost their first child and then had 9 more as well. Charles was the second of those 10 children, making him the 12th living child of his father Joseph.
The letter from his cousin Hannah Butt Taylor contains much information on the family of Joseph Butt.
Charles was a Laborer in 1877 at Benmiller Rd, Colborne, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. He married MARY VAN STONE, daughter of JOHN VAN STONE and CATHERINE [VAN STONE], on 23 May 1877 at Colborne Township, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. They were the parents of seven surviving children, 4 girls and 3 boys.
He and MARY VAN STONE immigrated from Canada to the US in 1890. Son Charles listed 1890 as the year he entered the US. He was naturalized in 1901.S2, S5
He and MARY VAN STONE appeared on the census of 1894 at Bay County, Michigan. The 1894 Michigan State Census also lists a Josephine, the same age as Joseph. This isn't supported by the definitive genealogy in the Ernest Butt inheritance record. Since that genealogy otherwise matches the census, the addition of Josephine in the census assumed to be an error.
In 1903, Mary's life was cut short by Huntington's chorea. This runs in the family and is further described in The Van Stone Family Curse. Mary's illness likely had an extremely negative effect on youngest daughter Caroline. This lead to family scandal as described in The Importance of Being Ernest. Charles did not come off as a sympathetic figure throughout this.
All the same, in 1920 Charles was living with daughter Caroline and her husband.S5 He was a Laborer in 1920 at Bay City, Bay County, Michigan. Charles died sometime after 1920. He isn't found in the 1930 census, so it was probably between 1920 and 1930.
- ↑ Madeline Hyde Kowalsky. Hyde/Butt Family Records. (Family Records, 2000), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1894 Michigan State Census: Charles Butt Household. (Online Database), 1894, Primary quality.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1922 (database on-line): Butt Van Stone Marriage. (Ancestry.com, Provo, Utah, 2006), 1877, Primary quality.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 1871 Canadian Federal Population Census: Page 71, Province of Ontario, District 26, North Huron, 1871, Primary quality.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 1920 US Federal Population Census: Bay Ward 3, Bay County, Michigan, 1920, Primary quality.
- ↑ Donna Johnson. Butt GED Johnson. (GED File, Downloaded December 25, 2002), Secondary quality.
- Hannah Butt Taylor. Hannah Butt Taylor Letter. (Letter, March 9, 1941), 1941, Primary quality.
- 1900 Charles Butt Sr Census, 1900, Primary quality.
- ↑ United States. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T623), 1910, Primary quality.
1910; Census Place: Detroit Ward 9, Wayne, Michigan;
Roll: T624_683; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0128; Image: 1022; FHL Number: 1374696.
Charles Butt Entry
- ↑ The 1871 Ontario census list him as 21 (1850). His 1877 marriage certificate lists him as 24 (1853). The 1894 Michigan census lists him as 45 (1850). The 1920 US Census for Michigan lists him as 65 (1855).
- ↑ From Canada to the US. Son Charles listed 1890 as the year he entered the US
- ↑ He lived with his daughter Caroline and son-in-law Carl Murphy.
Help fund new features!