Facts and Events
Benjamin Gray was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Benjamin Gray's land (Borden Tract SW, 260 acres, 1767) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 69.--10th August, 1767. Borden's executors to Benjamin Gray, £26, 260 acres, part of 92,100; corner widow Davison and William Taylor, poplar in Daniel Lyle's line, David Gray's corner. Delivered: Benjamin Gray, 26th September, 1773.
Processioning List of 1768-68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 443.-- Processioned by Wm. Caruthers, David Gray, 1767, 1768: For John Paxton, for Nathl. Evans, for James Robertson, for Wm. Ramsey, for Alex. McClure, for James Harries, for Saml. McCaskrey, for Widow Davidson, for Wm. Caruthers, for Jno. Peoples, for Thomas Paxton, for Patrick Lowrey, for John Dailey, for Thomas Dreydan, for Moses McClure, for Benj. Gray, for David Gray; for Widow Taylor, And. Taylor present; for Widow Huston, Jno. Huston present; for Joseph Reed.
Records of Benjamin Gray in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 396.--23d April, 1751. John Gray's will, yeoman--Wife, Agness; son, Jacob; son, William; son, David; son, Joseph; son, Benj.; daughter, Ann Gray; son, Saml.; son, John; daughter, Elizabeth. Executors, son Samuel and John Lyle. Teste: Archd. Alexander, James McClung, Daniel Lyle. 27th November, 1751, proved by all witnesses, and both executors qualify, with sureties Archd. Alexander and James McClung.
- Page 413.--21st August, 1754. Same to William Gray, £9, 300 acres, part of 92,100; corner Moses Whiteside's new survey; Moses McClure's line and new survey, adjoining Moses' old land. Delivered to Benjamin Gray. 26th September, 1773.
- Page 339.--21st November, 1759. William Gray's bond (with Patrick Hays, Saml. Paxton) as guardian (?) to Benj. Gray, orphan of John Gray.
- Page 228.--21st November, 1759. William Gray's bond (with Patrick Hays, Samuel Paxton), as guardian (chosen) to Benjamin, orphan of Jno. Gray.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1759. - (318) Benj. Gray, orphan of John Gray, aged 14, chose William Gray his guardian. (Note: this record establishes Benjamin Gray's birthdate in 1745).
- Page 348.--10th May, 1768. David Gray and Ruth (mark) to James McCrosky, £18, 100 acres; James Greenlee's corner on John Davidson's
line; Moses Whiteside's line; William Gray's corner. Teste: Moses Whitesides. John Carouthers. Benj. Gray. Delivered: Jas. McCoskry, son to James, 27th March, 1788.
Help fund new features!