Facts and Events
||18 JUL 1888
||Radcliffe & Raglan Twps., Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
||30 JAN 1912
||Killaloe, Hagarty, Renfrew, Ontario, Canadaaccording to the Delisle history, "August went back east in January 1912 and got married..." John Kuhl, probably August's cousin, the son of Minnie Gienow, and May Ristau (possibly Mary) Ristau were witnesses on their marriage registration. Interestingly, August's signature shows that he wrote his surname with an S, overwritten by a Z, or vice versa.
to Wilhelmina Albertina Ristau
||06 JUN 1916
||Loganton, Saskatchewan, CanadaDistrict 29 Saskatoon, Sub District 5
||August and his brother Fred drove a steam engine from Regina to the Avondale district between Asquith and Delisle. They came across country securing wood from local bluffs to fire the engine. It must have taken days to complete this trip of over 135 miles as the crow flies.
||ABT 31 JAN 1927
||15th Anniversary celebration
with Wilhelmina Albertina Ristau
||01 JUL 1931
||Avondale, Saskatchewan, CanadaRosenthal School Pals Reunion
||Avondale, Saskatchewan, CanadaFarmer, living in Saskatoon
||21 NOV 1973
||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
||24 NOV 1973
||Avondale Woodlawn Cemetery, Avondale, Saskatchewan, Canada
SUMMACH - The passing of Mr. August Summach, age 85 years, of 261 25th St. West, Saskatoon, Sask., occurred in local hospital on November 21st, 1973. The funeral service will be held on Saturday, Nov. 24th, 1973 at 2:00 p.m. from Asquith Baptist Church conducted by Rev. H. Cassells. The family gratefully decline floral tributes, memorial donations may be made to the Asquith Baptist Church Memorial Fund or the Gideon Society. Surviving on: three daughters, Mrs. Harvey Sage (Jean) of Saskatoon, <names of living individuals removed> of Calgary, Alberta, <names of living individuals removed> of Delisle; four sons, Harvey of Saskatoon, Wilfred, Ray and Percy, all of Asquith, Sask.; also 25 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren. Mr. Summach was predeceased by his wife Minnie, in 1959, and by a son, Elden, in 1936, and a daughter, Maureen, in 1971; also by two brothers and four sisters. Born in Rosenthal, Ontario in 1888, Mr. Summach came west in 1907 to farm at Asquith where he and the late Mrs. Summach resided until moving to Saskatoon in 1950. Mr. Summach was a member of the Asquith Baptist Church and a popular resident of the Avondale community, and friends and acquaintances will not forget his humorous nature and his wide interest in farming in which he excelled. Interment will be made in the Avondale Cemetery in the family plot. Park Funeral Chapel will be in charge of arrangements.
Rosenthal School Pals Reunion
RECALL ONTARIO SCHOOL FRIENDSS15
Rosenthal's Former Pupils Hold Reunion at Summach Home, Near Asquith
ASQUITH - A very interesting and unusual event was arranged on Wednesday July 1 on the grounds of the home of Mr. A Summach, eight and one half miles south of Asquith in the Avondale district. The affair was unusual in that it was a "school pals reunion." Twenty-one families, 125 people gathered together in the afternoon, practically everyone having attended school in Rosenthal, Ont., some 25 or 30 years ago. A few of the neighbors other than the "school pals" were present also to make the afternoon a success.
It was formally opened by all singing O Canada. An address which was delivered by A. Summach, renewed memories of the past.
Mrs. W. Riston (sic,) Sr., was the oldest parent in the gathering, the majority of the parents of those in the reunion having passed on in the pioneer days in the Killaoe, Ont., district. Lunch was served and photographs taken.
Jack Berger and Mr. and Mrs. Summach had spent untiring efforts in organizing the event and making it a success. Willard and Ruby Berger, of Hanley, contributed two appropriate numbers: "The Little Red Schoolhouse, " and "Memories."
Asquith Couple Have Exciting Experience
Bullet from Rifle Misses Wife and Lodges in Husband's Coat; Shooter Captured
(Special Despatch in the Free Press)S19
Saskatoon, Sask., Dec. 13 (1928)
A. Summach of Asquith, reports the narrow escape of his wife and himself from death today, near Dunfermline. He says a youth of 17 fired a shot which passed beneath Mrs. Summach's chin and lodged in his coat, evidently spent. Mrs. Summach saw the boy fire the shot. Giving chase, Mr. Summach caught the lad under a verandah of a nearby house. The boy declared he was shooting at a rabbit, and expressed sorrow for the affair. Not satisfied with this, Mr. Summach took the lad to his home where the parents promised that the boy would not again take a rifle in his hands for two years.
My Personal Memories
"Uncle" August was a great story teller. I remember being in grade 4 or 5 when he came to the Asquith School one day to perform magic tricks and tell stories to our class.
I also remember hearing that he split his toe with an axe while chopping firewood as a young lad.
Despite only having a grade 2 or 3 education, you can find a number of articles that he submitted to the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix over the years. They can be found in the Google News archive. In addition, he authored an articleS18 for the Saskatchewan Diamond Jubilee in 1965, that was published in a special edition paper.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 August Summack household, in Renfrew, Ontario, Canada. 1891 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), Page 37 & 38, Family 150, 06 Apr 1891 , Primary quality.
Sumach Mrs. Mary F 34 Widow Germany
Sumach William M 11 S Ontario
Sumach Annie F 10 D Ontario
Sumach Mary F 8 D Ontario
Page 38, Sub-district n- , Raglan & Radcliff, Family 150
Sumach Minnie, F(emale), Age - 6, D(aughter), Birthplace - Ontario, Father's Birthplace - Germany, Mother's Birthplace - Germany, Religion - F(ree) W(ill) Bapt(ist);
Sumach Lydia, F(emale), Age - 4, D(aughter), Birthplace - Ontario, Father's Birthplace - Germany, Mother's Birthplace - Germany, Religion - F(ree) W(ill) Bapt(ist)
Sumach August, M(ale), Age - 2, S(on), Birthplace - Ontario, Father's Birthplace - Germany, Mother's Birthplace - Germany, Religion - F(ree) W(ill) Bapt(ist)
Sumach Frederick, (ale), Age - 1, S(on), Birthplace - Ontario, Father's Birthplace - Germany, Mother's Birthplace - Germany, Religion - F(ree) W(ill) Bapt(ist)
- ↑ Rosetta (Gutz) Krieger. Our Family Tree (Krieger, Summach). (about 1987), page 19, Secondary quality.
- ↑ Family History, in Asquith and District Historical Society (Saskatchewan). The Asquith Record. (Asquith, Saskatchewan: Asquith and District Historical Society, 1982), Page 318ff, Secondary quality.
August and Minnie Summach by Harvey and Wilf - pages 318 and 319
- ↑ Fred Summach household, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. 1911 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), 05 Jun 1911, Primary quality.
Saskatchewan / 216 Saskatoon / 14 Townships 34 / page 22
11 237 Summach Fred 35-09-3 M Head S Jan 1889 21 Ontario German Canadian Baptist Farmer
12 237 Summach August M Brother S Jul 1879 22 Ontario German Canadian Baptist Farmer
13 237 Summach Mary F Mother W Sep 1857 53 Germany 1863 German Canadian Baptist
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Canada. Census and Statistics Office. 1906 Census of Canada, Prairie Provinces, Page: 4, 24 Jun 1906, Primary quality.
Saskatchewan; Townships 19 in Ranges 17, 18, 19, 20 Part of Township 20 in Range 17 South of Indian Reserve, and Townships 20 in Ranges 19 and 20, All West of The 2nd M; 28B;
Name: A Denjen
Marital Status: Single
Family Number: 21
Relation to Head of House: Hired Man
Sub-District Description: Townships 19 in Ranges 17, 18, 19, 20 Part of Township 20 in Range 17 South of Indian Reserve, and Townships 20 in Ranges 19 and 20, All West of The 2nd M
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Mary Zumach household, in Renfrew, Ontario, Canada. 1901 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada, 1901), Page 6, 31 Mar 1901, Primary quality.
ON RENFREW (South/Sud) (#111) Subdistrict: Raglan & Radcliffe L-2
7 38 Zumach Mary F Head W Feb 22 1858 43 Germany 1863 German German Baptist
8 38 Zumach William M Son S Jan 16 1880 21 Ont r German Canadian Baptist F(armer's) son
9 38 Zumach Anna F Daughter S May 4 1882 18 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
10 38 Zumach Marie F Daughter S Aug 3 1884 16 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
11 38 Zumach Wilhelmiene F Daughter S Jun 14 1885 15 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
12 38 Zumach Liedia F Daughter S Mar 4 1887 14 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
13 38 Zumach August M Son S Jul 18 1888 15 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
14 38 Zumach Fredrick M Son S Jan 7 1890 11 Ont r German Canadian Baptist
- ↑ August Zummach & Minnie Ristau, in Ontario, Canada. Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1928. (Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Archives of Ontario), 30 Jan 1912, Primary quality.
Name: August Zummach
Father Name: August Zummach
Mother Name: Mary Nack
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Spouse Name: Minnie Rustan [I read Ristau]
Spouse's Age: 23
Spouse Father Name: William Rustan [I read Ristau]
Spouse Mother Name : Mary Zummach
Marriage Date: 30 Jan 1912
Marriage Place: Renfrew
Marriage : Renfrew
Source: Indexed by: Ancestry.com
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 August Summack household, in Loganton, Saskatchewan, Canada. 1916 Census of Canada, Prairie Provinces. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), 1 Jun 1916 , Primary quality.
05, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Address:35, 9, 3, Loganton
Est. Birth Year:1889
Home in 1916:05, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Address:35, 9, 3, Loganton
Relation to head-of-household:Self
- ↑ Family History, in Delisle Women's Institute (Saskatchewan). Through the years : Delisle, Donavon, Gledhow and O'Malley, Laura, Swanson. (s.n., 1972?), Page 145, Secondary quality.
- ↑ August Zumach, in Ontario, Canada. Ontario Canada Births 1869-1913. (Toronto, Ontario: Archives of Ontario), 1889, Primary quality.
no midwife registered
Name: August Zumach
Date of Birth: 18 Jul 1888
Birth : Renfrew
Father's name: August Zumach
Mother's name: Mary Noack [I read Noach]
Roll Number: MS929_95
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Obituary of August Summach, in StarPhoenix. (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada), 32, 22 Nov 1973, Secondary quality.
See personal history section for details.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Cemetery Transcription, in Woodlawn Cemetary, Avondale, Saskatchewan, Secondary quality.
Nov 24, 1973 August Summach
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Funeral , in StarPhoenix. (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada), page 53, column 3 , 26 Nov 1973, Secondary quality.
SUMMACH - The funeral service of Mr. August Summach, who died on on November 21, 1973. was held from Asquith Baptist Church on Saturday, November 24, 1973 at 2:00 p.m. conducted by Rev. H. Cassells. Pallbearers were: Wesley Summach, Gordon Summach, Vernon Summach, Gary Young, Larry Summach, Trevor Smith. Interment was made in the Avondale Cemetery. Park Funeral Chapel was in charge of funeral arrangements.
- ↑ Rosenthal School Pals Panoramic Photograph, 1 July 1931, Secondary quality.
Dominion Day 1931 Gathering of Friends from Rosenthal School, Renfrew, Ontario
families identified by Uncle Harvey Summach and reviewed with Uncle Kenneth Summach
August and Minnie hosted a Dominion Day gathering of people from the Rosenthal district of Renfrew County on July 1, 1931 on their family farm. A photographer from Saskatoon's Gibson Studio took a panoramic photo of 14 of 31 families present. They were:
- Ernest and Nettie Webber nee Hein, brother of Annie Pilgrim nee Webber.
- William and Annie Pilgrim nee Webber, sister of Ernest Webber above.
- Sam and Lillian Junop nee Russell. He was a brother of August Junop.
- Jim and Mary Smith nee Yourt, cousin of Esther Summach nee Krieger
- Tom and Laura Wellwood nee McAndrew
- August and Carrie Junop nee Brown. August was an older brother of Sam Junop.
- Unidentified family
- Uncle Willy and Aunt Mary Summach nee Tank, older brother of August and Fred Summach
- Tom and Emma Johnson nee Ristau, sister of Minnie (Mrs. August Summach) and Tillie (Mrs. Reuben Briscoe)
- Fred and Esther Summach nee Krieger, cousin of Mary Smith nee Yourt and Fred was the brother of Willy and August Summach.
- Otto and Clara Berger
- Ray Geisek
- Reuben and Tillie Briscoe nee Ristau, sister of Minnie (Mrs. August Summach) and Emma (Mrs. Tom Johnson)
- August and Minnie Summach nee Ristau, sister of Tillie (Mrs. Reuben Briscoe) and Emma (Mrs. Tom Johnson.) August was the brother of Willy and Fred Summach.
Note that the Summach brother's were also cousin's of the Ristau sister's through their Aunt Mary Zummach who was the mother of the girls.
- ↑ Rosenthal's Former Pupils Hold Reunion at Summach Home, Near Asquith, in StarPhoenix. (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada), Page 17, column 1 , 10 July 1931, Secondary quality.
See personal history section for details
- ↑ Henderson's Saskatoon Directory. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada: Henderson Directories Limited), 1950, Secondary quality.
Summach, August (Minnie) farmer
- Henderson's Saskatoon Directory. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada: Henderson Directories Limited), 1950, Secondary quality.
- Summach, August. Trip from Ontario Took Eleven Days. (Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, 1965), 1965, Secondary quality.
- Asquith Couple Have Exciting Experience, in Winnipeg Free Press. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.), 13 Dec 1928, Secondary quality.
See details in Personal History section.
Help fund new features!