Archibald Rhea, Jr.
- H. Archibald Rhea, Jr.Est 1720-1730 - bef 1804
m. bef. 1758
Facts and Events
Archibald Rhea, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Archibald Rhea Jr.'s land (Borden Tract NW, 200 acres, 1771) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: this tract on the Hildebrand Map is dated "1755", but based upon the deed in Chalkley's below, it appears that the deed was granted in 1771). (Note: land acquired by Archibald Rhea's brothers, Robert and William are adjoining this tract to the north and south).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's (unless otherwise listed):
- Page 10.--2d May, 1758. Robert Reagh (Reah, Reaoh), carpenter and joiner, and Sara to Archibald Reah, Jr., yeoman, £60, 118 acres on Hays Creek; corner widow Smyley. Teste: Win. Reah. Delivered: Archibald Reah, 23d March, 1768. (Note:Robert Rhea was Archibald's brother).
- Page 15 - Archebald Reaigh, Jr., 24 acres, Hays Creek. Adjoining Seth Wilson, Burdon [sic, s/b Borden]. February 20, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 6].
- Page 110 - Archibald Raigh, 98 acres, North Mountain. Adjoining Bordens Patent. April 6, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 40].
- Page 48.--2d October, 1771. Borden's executors to Archibald Reah, Jr., corner Archibald Reah, part of 92100. Delivered: Hugh Rhea, 16th December, 1795. Teste: Alexander and Halbert McCluer, William Leakey. (Note: this record shows that Archibald Rhea, Jr. had already acquired the neighboring tract of his brother Robert Rhea in 1758).
Disposition of Land from Rockbridge County, VA Records:
- 1790 Rockbridge Co.,VA DeedBook B, 141-143 dated April 10, 1790, recorded June 1, 1790. Archibald Rhea and Jean his wife of Augusta County, to heirs at law of David Wilson, deceased, 74 acres. William Rhea, witness.
- 1790 Rockbridge Co.,VA Deed Book B, 144-146 dated June 1, 1790, recorded June 1, 1790. Archibald Rhea and Jean his wife to heirs at law of John Bell, deceased, 101 acres. The two tracts shared common lines with the original 118 acres, with the additional 57 acres located to the north of the Borden patent line.
Will of Archibald Rhea
- Archibald Rhea, Last Will and Testament, recorded on Oct. l5, 1804. His will names his wife, sons Archibald, William, John, Robert, and Andrew, daughters Mary, Ann, Jean, Martha, and Rebecca and children of Isabella (deceased daughter). His wife, Jean, his son Archibald (assumed to be his eldest son) and his brother-in-law Andrew McCausland were designated as guardians for his minor children. She and her children are named in the 1811 will of her father John, proved in 1813. [Amherst County, Virginia Will Book].
Records of Archibald Rhea in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 196.--1st November, 1773. Archibald Reach, Jr.'s, will--To wife, Margaret; to children. Executors, wife and Uncle Archibald Reah. Teste: Michael Coulter, William Reah, James dark. Proved, 15th March, 1774, by Coulter and Reah. Executors qualify (Margaret her mark) with Thomas Hill. William Reagh. (Note: this was the will of Archibald's nephew, Archibald Rhea, son of this Archibald's brother, William Rhea).
Information on Archibald Rhea
From The Augusta Rhea Family:
Archibald II: Was likely born during the 1720s. He, by name of Archibald Jr, purchased Robert Reagh's 118 acres along Hays Creek by deed of 2 May 1758. His name appears several times in the Chaulkley Volumes as petitioner (1753), witness, administrator of estates, appraiser, collector for the Vestry (State Church) etc. According to various deed records he acquired and sold several tracts of land in Rockbridge, Augusta, Nelson and Amherst Counties. He sold the 300 acre home farm on Hays Creek in Rockbridge to John Rice, husband of daughter Isabella, by deed of 2 Jul 1783. Archibald likely moved to Augusta Co by 1784 where he resided when deeding 74 acres in Rockbridge to heirs of David Wilson. On 1788 Augusta Co Tax list. By 1800 he was on the tax list in Amherst Co. his will, dated 25 Sep 1803, was entered for probate on 15 Oct 1804 in Amherst. It named his wife, Jean, and daughter Mary -- then five sons named below - then four daughters - then children of Isabella. One guardian of minor children (unnamed) was Andrew McCauslin. In 1811 John McCausland, Bath Co, devised to daughter Jane (Jean) Rhea and to her sons: John, Robert, and Andrew. The foregoing suggests that Jean McCausland was a second wife, being married about 1775. Children may not be listed in ofder of birth as reckoned by writer.
- Archibald Reagh b: e1725 Ireland d: -1803 VA
- m1: unknown
- Isabella b:e1758 VA d:-1803 VA
- Ann b: e1760 VA
- Jean b: e1762 VA d: KY?
- Martha b: e1766 VA
- Rebeckea b: e1769 VA
- Archibald b: e1772 VA d: May 1835 TN
- William b: e1774 VA
- m2: Jean McCausland m:e1775
- John b: 1776 VA d: 1847 TN
- Robert b: e1780 VA
- Andrew b: e1782 VA
- Mary b: e1784 VA