Archibald Hopkins, of Muddy Creek, Augusta County, VA
m. Abt. 1730
- William Hopkins, of Muddy Creek, Augusta County, VAest 1730 -
- John Hopkins, "Pioneer", of Muddy Creek, Augusta County, VAAbt 1732 - Bef 1791
- Archibald Hopkins, of Muddy Creek, Augusta County, VAAbt 1736 - 1799
Facts and Events
Archibald Hopkins was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County:
- Archebald Hopkins, 260 acres, Greenbrier River. Oct. 26, 1751. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 95].
- Page 66 - Land Survey, Archebald Hopkins, 102 acres. Adjoining his old patent, Widow Fulton, Thomas Shanklin. February 8, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 66].
- Page 121 - Land Survey, Archebald Hopkins, Sen., 100 acres, Muddy Creek. February 24, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 121].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 390.--16th March, 1757. William ( ) Castleberry and Margaret ( ), his wife, to Ersbald Hopkins (delivered Archibald Hopkins, May, 1763), £130, 350 acres on Muddy Creek.
- Page 244.--22d June, 1763. Thomas Campbell to Archibald Hopkins, £7, on Muddy Creek of North River, 40 acres; corner to land now or formerly Robt. Raulston's. Teste: John Poage, Richard Shanklin, James Hughes.
- Page 352.--17th September, 1763. John Megarry and Sarah by James Greer, attorney, to Archibald Hopkins (John, formerly of Augusta, but now of North Carolina), £40, 170 acres on Muddy Creek on a line of Pincher's old place. Teste: John Archer, Wm. Hyde. Delivered to Thomas Hopkins, the grandson of grantee, who produced the original patent for the same lands in testimony of his right to have the same as per receipt filed with the deeds of this same date, 19th January, 1814. (Receipt says Thomas is entitled to the land by devise from Archibald, his grandfather.)
- Page 772.--4th September, 1764. Thomas O'Neal to Archibald (Ersbald) Hopkins, £4, 27 acres on a branch of Muddy Creek; corner Wood's land. Teste: Ephraim Love, Jno. Hopkins, Geo. Baxter.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 295.--1760: Processioned by John Hopkins, David Ralston, in Capt. Ephraim Love's Company: For Thomas Gordon, for Francis Green, for Jeremiah Harrison, for Daniel Love, for Daniel Callkin, for Robert Cravens, for Thos. Harrison, for Ephraim Love, for Widow Johnston, for Alex. Herring, for Edward Shankling, for Widow Logan, for William Logan, for John Cravens, for Widow McDonel, for Joseph Cravens, for Wm. Hopkins, for John Hopkins, for Thomas Shankling, for Alex. Miller, for Mathew Black, for Thos. Campbell, for Daniel Harrison, for Daniel Harrison, Jr., for Samuel Harrison, for Robert Harrison, for Pat. Guin, for Wm. Snoding, for John Fowler, for David Nelson, for Samuel Briges, for John McGill, for Christopher Thompson, for John Wright, for Archibald Hopkins.
Records of Archibald Hopkins in Augusta County, VA
- Page 82.--20th March, 1759. Robert Ralston and Martha (her mark) to Thomas Campbell, £6, 40 acres on a branch of North River called Muddy Creek. Teste: Ephraim Love, James Bruster, Jno. Davison. Delivered: Archibald Hopkins, March. 1763.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 23, 1762. - (317) Archd. Hopkins, special bail.
- Page 370.--21st November, 1764. Silas Hart's (sheriff) bond (with Danl. Harrison, Andw. Erwin, Jno. Hopkins, Archd. Hopkins, Geo. Anderson, Wm. Anderson) to collect officers' fees.
- Page 370.--21st November, 1764. Silas Hart's (sheriff) bond (with Danl. Harrison, Andw. Erwin, Jno. Hopkins, Archd. Hopkins, Geo. Anderson, Wm. Anderson) to collect taxes.
- Page 371.--21st November, 1764. Silas Hart's (sheriff) bond (with Danl. Harrison, Andw. Erwin, Jno. Hopkins, Archd. Hopkins, Geo. Anderson, Wm. Anderson) to collect quit rents.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1768. - (500) Hemp certificates: Baptist McNabb, James Crockett, Thos. McCallock, Pat. Hays, Andrew Hall, Andrew Woods, Elizabeth Taylor, Andrew Lewis, Alexr. Evans, David Forbes, John Hopkins, Archd. Hopkins.
- Page 403.-- May, 1771. Archibald and John Hopkins' (commissioners) assignment of dower to Sarah Harrison (widow) recorded.
- Page 221.---2d May 1771. Gabriel ( ) Powel to Archibald Hopkins, 115, cows and horses, horses and cows. Mortgage to secure £15.
- Page 301.--15th April, 1774. Thomas Shankland's (his mark) will, farmer--To wife, Eleanor, tract adjoining Thomas Gordon; to grandchildren, viz: Of son Robert's children, viz: Thomas, William, Robert, son John, son _____; son Thomas' son Thomas; to oldest son, Robert. Executors, sons Robert and John. Teste: William and Archibald Hopkins, George Baxter. Proved, 17th January, 1775, by Archd. Hopkins and Baxter. Executors qualify with Archd. Hopkins, Geo. Baxter.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 17, 1774. - (449) John Lock, runaway servant of Archibald Hopkins. Solomon Lein, runaway servant of James Pollick.
- Page 410.--14th July, 1775. James Davison's will--To wife, Jane; to eldest son, John, infant; to two youngest children; to daughter, Mary; to division "among my children." Executors, Archibald and John Hopkins. Teste: John Hagarty, Wm. Chesnutt, James Dunn. Proved, 19th March, 1776, by Chesnutt and Dunn. Executors summoned. At a Court for Augusta County by authority of the Commonwealth of Virginia, August 20, 1776, Archibald and John Hopkins refuse to qualify executors.
- Page 69 - Land Survey, Thomas Shanklin, 90 acres between two Branches of Muddy Creek. Adjoining his own land, Archebald Hopkins. February 22, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 121].
- Page 388.--Dr. estate of John Hind in account with William Hind, administrator--1788, paid Archibald Hopkins as per son Ephraim; 1788, paid Daniel Kidd, bond given in 1772 as per Dutchman's receipt.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 McDaniel's, family.2.FTW.
Date of Import: 19 Nov 2005
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Family of Bud Flanagan of Md..FTW.
Date of Import: 28 Dec 2005