Facts and Events
Archibald Gilkeson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of Archibald Gilkeson
From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
- Page 245.--5th November, 1780. Archibald Gilkeson's will (farmer) To wife, Sarah, the land formerly belonging to her on Calfpasture; to sons, Robert, James, and Hugh; to daughter, Rebecca, infant; to mother, Rebecca Gilkison, property left her by his father's former will; daughter Rebecca to be under care of mother and after her death, of Margret Hogshead, daughter to David Hogshead. Executors, William Young, Hugh Brown. Teste: John Gardner, Michael (X) McCluer. Proved, 16th July, 1782, by the witnesses. Executors qualify.
- Vol. 2 - 16th July, 1782--Wm. Young, Hugh Brown, administrators of Archd. Gilkerson.
- Page 355.--Archibald Gilkison's estate to Wm. Young and Hugh Brown, executors, Dr.; November, 1783, paid Enos Jones' account; November, 1783, paid Wm. Jourden account; 8th March, 1791, settled.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1767. - (441) Archd. Gilkeson appointed surveyor of highway, vice George Moffett.
- Page 365.--24th 7ber, 1772. Robert Gilkeson's will, well stricken in years--To wife, Rebecca; to son, Archibald, and his son, Robert, infant; to daughter, Margrit Hogshead; to daughter, Isabel Brown; to grandson, Robert Gilkison; to child Isabel Brown is now pregnant with. Executors, wife Rebecca and son-in-law David Hogshead. Teste: James Bell, John Hogshead, Michael Hogshead. Proved, 15th August, 1775, by the witnesses. Executors qualify (both with mark) with James Bell, Michael Hogshead.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1780 (A). - Bohannon vs. Martin.--Copy of Proceedings. Writ, dated 21st December, in 31st year of reign. By John Buchanan, gent., vs. Patrick Martain.-- Account of what militia was under command of Capt. Patrick Martain since the 2d of May:
- When Days When
- Name. Entered. on duty. Discharged. Pay per die
- Capt. Patrick Martain Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 10/
- Adam Thompson Aug. 4th 28 1 Sept. 1/
- Samuel Black Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- David Stuart, Serg. Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/4
- John Perrie Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Patrick English Aug. 4th 34 7 Sept. 1/
- John Vance Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- William Hodge Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Charles Erwin Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- Edward Hinds Aug. 4th 36 9 Sept. 1/
- John Trimble Aug. 4th 12 16 Aug. 1/
- John Beard Aug. 16th 24 9 Sept. 1/
- Gabriel Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- Archibald Gilkeson Aug. 16th 24 9 Sept. 1/
- Jacob Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- George Guile Aug. 23rd 15 7 Sept. 1/
- John Jameson Aug. 26th 8 3 Sept. 1/
- William Martain Aug. 26th 8 3 Sept. 1/
- Sworn to 16th December, 1756, by Capt. Pat. Martin. Receipt, 16th December, 1756, by Capt. Pat. Martin for above.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond - 1797--October 25, Geo. Moffett and Francis Gilkison, surety. Geo. Moffett and Rebecca Gilkeson, of age, daughter of Archd. Gilkeson, deceased.
- Ancestry Family Trees. (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees.
- Chalkley, - Augusta County, Virginia Court Abstracts.
Help fund new features!