Facts and Events
ANN WINN was born circa 1827 at Ireland. Topping Butt and Fraser LDS Records list her last name as Win. The 1881 Canadian census lists her birthplace as Ireland. The 1920 census record of son Charles lists her birthplace as Canada. Ann was a widow in 1881 and provided the information herself, so that record would be preferred.
She married JOSEPH BUTT, son of JOHN BUTT and JANE DURNFORD, on 15 Aug 1843 at Darlington Township, Hampton, Durham County, Ontario, Canada. If all of the information is correct, then Ann was just sixteen when married. She took over a family with ten children, a couple of which were older than she was. A letter from Hannah Butt Taylor, granddaughter of Joseph Butt stated "He married a girl who had no people around her and she was only 18 (16 if Ann was born in 1827). Her mother was hired to keep house for two old toughs who worked in the bush for the Elliott's. The mother died and Grandfather took pity on the girl and married her. Father (Elam Butt) and Uncle James never could acknowledge her and they never cared for her or any of the second family. All the others mixed up together. There were nine who lived in the second. The first one died. The others were called in rotation Jane, George, Charles, Mary, Maria, Vianna, Jonah, Mark and Anjoulettea."
The exact date of Ann's death is not yet known. The last record of her is the 1881 census.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Kimberly Louise Fraser. Butt GED Fraser. (Pedigree Resource File, Submission Number 432444-071999131402), Secondary quality.
- ↑ Donna Johnson. Butt GED Johnson. (GED File, Downloaded December 25, 2002), Secondary quality.
- ↑ Derek Topping. Butt GED Topping. (GED File, Downloaded in 2001), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 1871 Canadian Federal Population Census: Page 71, Province of Ontario, District 26, North Huron, 1871, Primary quality.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 1881 Canadian Federal Population Census: Colborne, Huron Centre, Ontario, 1881, Primary quality.
- Hannah Butt Taylor. Hannah Butt Taylor Letter. (Letter, March 9, 1941), 1941, Primary quality.
- Betty Ferster. Joseph Butt Marriage Data, Recipient: Scott Black. (E-Mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, December 29, 2004), 1843, Primary quality.
Help fund new features!