Facts and Events
Andrew McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Andrew McCampbell's land (Borden SW, 2 Tracts: 1) 328 acre-tract acquired from James and Martha Gilmore in 1764 and 2) 73 acres patented to Andrew McCampbell from Borden's executors (adjoining McCampbell's previously acquired tract) in 1765) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: land patented to William McCampbell (309 acres, 1770) is located nearby, just to the east).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 520.--3d March, 1764. James Gilmore and Martha to Andrew Misscampbell, £111, 328 acres on Carr's Creek of James River in Borden's grant, and conveyed to James by Borden ; corner Hugh Cunningham; corner John Kerr.
- Page 251.--11th October, 1765. Borden's executors to Andrew McCampbell, 73 acres, £6, in 92,100; oak on Teas Creek; corner said McCampbell's, Hugh Cunningham's line; Samuel Norwood's corner. Teste: John Wardlaw, Andrew Hays, Andrew Hays. (Note: due to the small size of this tract, the acreage and date is not shown on the Hildebrand Map).
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 385.--1765: Processioned by Collier and McCampbell, viz: For William McCamey, for Jno. Beatty (Samuel Norrad present), for Solomon Whitley, for Wm. Gilmore, for Robt. Erwin, for Jno. McKee, for Andw. McCampbell, for Henry Kirkham, for Edward Fairies, for James Campbell, for Alex. Deal, for John Gilmore, for Moses Cunningham for Robt. Hamilton, for James McCalster, for Hugh Cunningham, for George McConne; for Wm. Moore, Michael Kirkham present; for James Young, for Robert McKelhenny, for Margery Crawford, for Saml. Todd, for Rob. Young, for James Hutton, for James Todd, for George Gibson for Alex. Collier, for Jno. Hanna, for Robt. Talford, for Robt. McHenry, for David Talford, for William Hall, for John McMurtrey, for James Davies, for Robt. McKee, for Jno. Somers, for Jno. Huston, for Jno. Wylie, for Jno. McConne, for Archd. Buchanan, for Wm. Porter, for Jno. Wieley.
Estate Records of Andrew McCampbell
Records of Andrew McCampbell in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 14.--24th November, 1760. Stophel White's appraisement, by David Telford, James McCampbell, Andrew McCampbell.
- Page 278.--20th September, 1763. James Wardlaw's bond (with James Steel, Andw. McCampbell) as administrator of Thos. Jones.
- Vol. 2 - Page 377.--Processioners appointed as follows, viz (1764): William Robinson and James Robinson, from Heads of Roanoke to Fort Lewis. William Bryan and James Neilly, from Fort Lewis on Waters of Roan Oke. James Rowland and Joseph Montgomery, Thomas Ramsey and James Lawderdale, on Waters of Catawbo and James River on the South Side. James McGayvock, James Gilmore, John Poage, John Thompson, between Buffalo and James River. John Paxton, Abraham Brown, Andrew Miscampbell, Alex. Collier, between Buffalo and the North River to the North Mountain. Wm. Taylor, Thos. Paxton, Moses Whitesides, Jno. McClung, from North River to Beverley's line between the Great Road to the Court House and South Mountain. Andrew Hall, James Buchanan (son of William), Thos. Berry, James Trotter, from North River to Beverley's line between the Great Road to the Court House, by Cap. Bowyers and the North Mountain.
- Page 247.--15th October, 1765. Henry ( ) Miller and Elenor ( ) to Andrew Hays. Gent., £55, 231 acres in Borden's tract, John Walker's line by edge of Moffett's Creek, Oak on Back Creek, the forks of Walker's Creek. Teste: Andrew and Wm. McCampbell, Andrew Hayes.
- Page 261.--17th May, 1767. Robert ( ) Allison to Andrew McCampbell, £80, horses and house furnishings and clothes. Teste: Wm McKemey, Wm. McCampbell.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 15, 1768. - (494) Hemp certificates: James McKee, Andrew Boyd, Alexr. Dunlap, John Campbell, James McCampbell, James McDowell, George Moffett, Andrew Mis Campbell, John Lyle.
- Page 148.--15th November, 1770. Andrew Hays to John Hays, £5, 300 acres of Borden's 92100, below forks of Hays and Moffet's Creeks, corner Charles Hays. Teste: Andrew McCampbell, John Walker, John Walker, Joseph Moore.
- Page 423.--2d May, 1771. William Lusk's will--To sons, John and William Lusk, in Carolina, 5 shillings each; to daughter, Mary Philips; to son, Joseph; to wife, Elizabeth; to daughters, Elizabeth, Sarah, and Margaret. Executors, wife Elizabeth, with Andrew Hays. Sr., and Saml. Lyle. Teste: Archd. Alexander, Daniel Lyle, James Lyle, Jr. Proved, 20th August, 1771, by Daniel and James Lyle, and on 21st August, 1771, and Saml. Lyle and Andrew Hays qualify with Andrew Mc(Mis)Campbell, Thomas Vance.
- Page 200.--11th May, 1772. Baptist ( ) McNabb and Kathren ( ) to Moses Cunningham, of Botetourt County. Teste: Andrew Hays, Robert Tedford, Andrew McCampbell.
- Page 173.--16th May, 1781. Recorded. John Berry's estate settlement-- Paid Margret Kirkpatrick, Samuel Neizbitt, Elizabeth Henry. Debts and legacies paid by the executor--To David McCrea for funeral liquor, £1.7.0, Anthony Kelly for a coffin, Margret Rutherford, Capt. John Gilmore, Wm. Berry, James Berry, Rebecca Buchanan, Robt. Fearis, Alex. McIlroy, George and Charles Berry. Robt. Kilpatrick, Rebecca Kelly, Mary Johnson, Elizabeth Bell, Andrew McCampbell for Jno. Berry, Jr., Francis and Elizabeth Berry, Mary Neizbitt, John Berry Shoemaker, Rebecca Gillaspy.
- Page 483.--September Ct., 1784 (?). Recorded. George Searight's appraisement by Jno. Campbell, Andrew McCampbell, David Gibson, Jas. Dickey.
Help fund new features!