Facts and Events
Andrew Kennedy was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 130.--20th October, 1762. Borden's executors to Andrew and John Kenady, £20, 341 acres, part of 92100; cor. Andrew Steel, crossing Mill Creek; cor. Hugh Martin. Delivered to Andrew Kenady.
- Page 491.--18th August, 1772. David Scott and Catherine ( ), of Botetourt, to Andrew Kennedy; corner Henry Campbell.
Records of Andrew Kennedy in Augusta County, VA
- Page 143.--17th November, 1761. Joseph ( ) Kennedy to James Wardlaw, £100, 236 acres in Borden's tract, crossing Andrew Duncan's mill dam. George Henderson's land. Teste. Wm., James, Andrew Kennedy, Hugh Wardlaw. Delivered to Andrew Wardlaw, son of James, 2d February, 1791.
- Page 620.--17th November, 1763. William Adims (Adams) to George Jemison, £50, 336 acres in Borden's tract on Moffet's Creek; David Hays' line. James Trimble's'line. Teste: Wm. McCutchan, Wm. Kennedy. Samuel Steel. Jno. Handly, Andrew Kennady, Wm. Edmiston. Delivered: George Jamison, 17th January, 1787.
- Page 355.--23d March, 1764. Andrew Steel's will--To son, Robert; to "my sun Saml. and Alexand (er) Moore, John Foulton and James Wardlaw, &c."; to daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth. Executors, Alex. Moore and Jas. Wardlaw. Teste: Hugh Wardlaw, Andrew Kennedy, Joseph Wardlaw, Wm. Wardlaw. Proved, 21st August, 1764, by Hugh and William Wardlaw and Kennedy.
- Vol. 3 (undated, abt. 1787) Page 430.--Teste: John McKemey, Andrew Kannady, John McCoskry, Henry Venus, Elizabeth McCoskry, Thomas Beard, Robert Cooper.
- Page 85.--9th July, 1788. David McKoskry's estate appraised by Robert Cooper, Andrew Kennedy, Robt. Herris (?).
- Page 334.--Old James Trotter's line. Teste: Andrew Kenneday, Jacob Cale.
- Vol. 2 - James Young vs. Eakin--O. S. 148; N. S. 51--Bill, 23d February, 1808. Complainant was son-in-law of Andrew Kennedy (of Rockbridge?). James Aiken bought land from Borden, Sr. (died in Orange), devised (will in Augusta) it to son John 30 acres which his uncle Walter formerly lived on, to son James, to sons, Andrew and Samuel. John and James (before Andrew and Samuel came of age) conveyed to a distant relation, Anne Aiken. Ann sold to George Weir, father of Thomas Weir, who conveyed to orator. Andrew Aiken is dead, also James Aiken. Thomas Weir lives in Tennessee. Ann Eakin was widow of Walter. Margaret Pollax deposes: Was daughter of John Aiken. Thomas Beard was father-in-law of George Weir. James Houston deposes: He was born in 1751. William Alexander deposes in 1769 he heard his grandfather Thomas Beard say. George Weir's will of Rockbridge, dated 8th August, 1781. Wife, Jean; sons, Thomas; children. Recorded in Rockbridge, 6th November, 1781.
- ↑ Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
- The national register of historic places.
The property comprising the Kennedy-Wade Mill Historic Dismct was associated with the Kennedy (somedmes spelled Kenady) family in the late eighteenth century. By 1787, Andrew Kennedy owned 614 acres of land in the northwest pan of Rockbridge County, in the area around Ott's Creek, approximately three miles west of what would later become the town of Raphine.
The buildings included in this nomination are all on the original Andrew Kennedy tract. The date that the first mill was consmcted is unclear, but a mill was standing on this site in 1811, when Andrew Kennedy's son, William, obtained "the half of the mill and mill lon containing one acre, one quarter, and three poles." A tax record increase in 1797 may relate to consuuction of a mill here. William Kennedy received the second half of the mill interest in 1817, after the death of his father. William Kennedy and possibly his brother, Hugh Kennedy, were involved in the operations of the mill in the antebellum years; the 1840 census shows that both of their families had one member involved in "manufacturing." An 1819 deed from Joseph Kennedy to John McFadden uansferred a sawmill, previously belonging to Andrew Kennedy, to John McFadden; this property is described as adjacent to McFadden's property.
In 1845, when William Kennedy's estate was settled, a separate mill lot of 3¾ acres was created. His heirs sold a "certain lot of land and the Merchant's Mill" in March 1846 to Henry B. Jones for $1,200. The deed mentions that "the mill, being very much out of repair was considered by the undersigned to be worth in its present condition about $1,500."
Henry Jones lived at White Hall plantation, near Brownsburg in Rockbridge County. His diary, which survives from 1842 through 1871, describes his extensive and enlightened farming operations. The diary also contains many references to repair work and improvements done to the mill in the first several years of his ownership. On 11 May 1846, Jones was "engaged in hauling timber for the mill." The following month, on June 26th, he noted that he "installed a spindle and water wheel at the mill and turned water on it."
The oldest house within the proposed dishict is the brick McFadden House. A large increase in the value of the Andrew Kennedy tract in 1793, as recorded in the tax records, may represent the construction of this house. Andrew Kennedy began dividing up his property and distributing parcels to his children in 1810, as outlined in his will. In 1815, this house and 168 acres were given to his daughter Rachel Kennedy McFadden and her husband John McFadden. In 1819, the McFaddens also acquired the sawmill property near their house.
The 1840 census records reveal that eleven members of the McFadden family were living in the house at that time, and that five were employed in agriculture.
The brick house remained in the McFadden family until 1943. After John McFadden's death, his property was split evenly amongst his heirs, Joseph, Abraham, and Isaac. In 1854, Abraham and Isaac and their wives transfered their part to Joseph McFaddin. The 1892 plat of the McCormick division of land around the mill shows the McFadden House as the largest dwelling, with the name "Joseph McFadden" Written decoratively over the top of the illusuation. Joseph McFadden's "homeplace" included 236 acres by 1898. By the early twentieth century, legal title to the farm was divided between several of Joseph McFadden's heirs, who then sold it in 1943 to Roben Grimm Wade.and Amelia Wade. The present owners, Donald H. Haynie and C. Tomas Hamlin, IJI, purchased the property in 1989 and have made extensive improvements since that time.