Col. Andrew Steele Fulton
Facts and Events
||Col. Andrew Steele Fulton
||Capt. Andrew Fulton
||Augusta, Virginia, United States
||North Carolina, United StatesDAR Patriot A042556 Andrew Fulton
||15 Mar 1781
||Greensboro, Guilford, North Carolina, United Statesfought in Battle of Guilford Courthouse under Capt. James Tate
||to Elizabeth Hall
||30 Jun 1789
||Augusta, Virginia, United Statesnamed Executor in Will of John Fulton, his father
||22 Mar 1822
||Lee, Virginia, United StatesIndenture recorded identifying six heirs
||bef Mar 1824
||per Rev. War Widow's pension of Elizabeth (Hall) Fulton
Andrew Fulton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
[19 Nov 2012 Note: dead link]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 DAR Patriot A042556 Andrew Fulton, in Daughters of the Amercian Revolution.
[last accessed 19 Nov 2012]
FULTON, ANDREW Ancestor #: A042556
Notice: FUTURE APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE (WHY?)
Service: NORTH CAROLINA Rank: CAPTAIN
Birth: 1750 AUGUSTA CO VIRGINIA
Service Description: 1) BATTLE OF GUILFORD COURT HOUSE
- Colonel Andrew Fulton, in Source needed.
Elizabeth Hall (Eleanor, Archibald) was born Dec. 27, 1756; she married Colonel Andrew Fulton , a gentleman of high character and great ability. He represented Augusta county in the legislature upon several occasions. He received 13 wounds at Guilford, but recovered and lived to a good old age. Col. Fulton and his wife had six children.
a. John H. Fulton was a lawyer; most successful in his profession. He lived in Abingdon, Va. And represented his district in Congress.
b. Edward H. Fulton was a farmer and surveyor; he lived in Augusta Coun
c. James was a physician and lived in Waynesboro
d. Andrew Stuart Fulton was a lawyer and judge. He lived in Wythe County. His wife was a Miss Kincannon of that county
e. Sally Fulton married a Dr. Williams and lived in Nelson county.
f. Elizabeth Fulton never married
Judge Fulton seems to have been given some credit for getting the family to agree to a Stuart
spelling. Others say Judge Archibald Stuart of Staunton was also active in this effort
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Andrew Steele Fulton, in Source needed.
38. Andrew Steele Fulton (John2 , James 1) born circa 1756, was married in 1783 (31) to Elizabeth Hall, daughter of Edward and Eleanor Stuart (33) Hall and a sister to Sarah Hall Tate Fulton, who married Major Hugh Fulton. Andrew died between 1816 and 1819, but for some reason, his son did not file the administrator's bond until 1835. (34) Andrew was not an officer in the Revolution as some sources have reported. He was a private according to his Revolutionary War papers and did not become an officer until after the Revolutionary War while serving in the Augusta County militia.
The 1810 census indicates that there were two young females besides the mother living in this household. One was under 16 years of age and one was under 26 years of age. Three sons were listed in the 1810 census. The eldest son, John H., had already left home by 1810. The following children have been identified through the Grantor-Grantee indexes and the settlement of Andrew's estate:
+ 82. i. John H. Fulton died 28 January 1836. Andrew S. Fulton was named executor of his estate. John H. was a representative in Congress and lived at Abingdon, Va.
83. ii. Edward H. Fulton born circa 1794. His obituary states that he died 12 May 1849, age 55, a native of Augusta County, but had been a resident of this county.....Abingdon Virginian, 12 May 1849 (23 May 1849). (35) He was a farmer and a surveyor.
84. iii. Sarah Fulton born circa 1796, married 4 May 1815 to Dr. Elijah L. Williams of Nelson County, Kentucky, by the Reverend John McCue. Marriage bond was dated 2 May 1815.
+ 85. iv. Andrew Stuart Fulton born 29 September 1800.
86. v. Elizabeth Fulton born circa 1800, unmarried.
87. vi. Dr. James Fulton born circa 1802 (48 years old in 1850 census), a physician who lived in Waynesboro. His wife Evaline, and his sisters Elizabeth Fulton and Sarah (Sally) Williams were living in his household in 1850.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Col. Andrew Fulton, in rootsweb 11 Jan 1998 post by P. Stark.
Dispelling myths...the family group sheet compiled by Mrs. W. T. Birdwell in 1979 and published by Robert Fulton in the "Fulton Family Letter", page 86-34, identifies 4 alleged sons of Samuel Fulton Jr.
1. (Col) Andrew Fulton and wife Elizabeth Hill [sic]
2. David Fulton and wife Nancy Taylor
3. John Fulton and wife Rosanna Littlejohn
4. (Capt) Samuel Fulton III and wife Catherine Smith
#1 (Col) Andrew Fulton was the son of John and Mary (Steele) Fulton of Augusta Co., VA.
From the family group sheet: "(Col) Andrew (Rev. War) Fulton, b ca 1748, who m Elizabeth Hill [sic]. Living in Lancaster Co., Pa., at time of enlistment; settled in Augusta Co., Va."
Many errors here! Col. Andrew Fulton married Elizabeth HALL (not Hill), participated in the Revolution in a unit organized at Augusta Co., VA, fought in the Battle of Guilford Courthourse under Capt. James Tate, and died before March 1824. The will of John Fulton (signed 30 June 1789, recorded at Augusta Co., VA) appoints his son Andrew Fulton to serve as executor along with widow Mary Fulton. The will of Edward Hall names his daughter Elizabeth Fulton, wife of Andrew Fulton (Augusta Co. Will Book 8, p 238, 15 Oct 1790).
Additional Information on this couple comes from Elizabeth (Hall) Fulton's application for a Rev. War widow's pension which was prepared by her son, Judge Andrew Steele Fulton of Wytheville, Wythe Co., VA. The application claimed that the late Andrew Fulton was a member of Capt. James Tate's company recruited at Augusta Co., VA. Andrew Fulton died before 1824. An indenture recorded at Lee Co., VA, 22 March 1822, identifies six heirs of Andrew Fulton: Elizabeth Fulton (presumed to be his widow), John Hall Fulton, Edward Fulton, James Fulton, Andrew Steele Fulton, and Elijah and Sarah (Fulton) Williams.
(Col.) Andrew Fulton who married Elizabeth Hall was the son of John and Mary (Steele) Fulton of Augusta Co., VA, and does not appear to be a descendant of Samuel and Elizabeth (Stewart) Fulton of Donegal Twp, Lancaster Co., PA.
Patrice (Fulton) Stark
Lone Tree, CO 80124