Facts and Events
Andrew Bird was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 83.--22d February 1750-51. Swain Rambo and Jane to Andrew Bird, 400 acres by patent on Smith's Creek; corner to Andrew Bird, John Philip's line. (See infra, p. 222). Delivered: Andrew Bird, January, 1754. Teste: Peter Scholl, Saml. Newman.
- Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1 - 1750-51, February 26th--Andrew Bird, 150 (acres), between Smith's Creek and the mountain joining Jacob Rambo.
- Page 30.--17th November, 1752. Benjamin Borden to Andrew Bird, 174 acres, Brock's Gap, on North Shanado; the Chimney Rock. Delivered to Abraham Bird, 27th January, 1754.
- Page 373.--12th May, 1753. Valentine Sevier and Joanna to Andrew Bird, 1753. Between Limestone Ridge and Smith Creek; cor. Andrew Bird's survey, Robert Milsap's survey, 184 acres. Teste: Wm. Bethel. Delivered to John Speare, 1758.
- Page 154 - Andrew Bird, 270 acres, between Mathew Harrisons and Millsaps lines. June 5, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 55].
- Page 94.--20th November, 1772. Christopher Vickrey and Hannah, of Guilford County, North Carolina, to Andrew Bird, part of 210 acres patented to Samuel Newman, 29th August, 1757, sold by Samuel to Jacob Hodgh, 21st June, 1763, on Smith's Creek. Teste: John Lilly, John ( ) Benson, James West. Certificate of release of dower by Hannah in Guilford County. North Carolina, 29th October, 1772, tract formerly belonging to Jacob Hodgh, brother to said Hannah Vickery. Christopher Nation and William Gosset swear they saw Hannah sign.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 222.--18th May, 1751. Andrew Bird to Jacob Rambo, 50 acres, part of land bought of Swain Rambo and Jane. (See supra, p. 83).
- Page 7.--2d February, 1754. Andrew Bird to Moses Bird, on Smith's Creek. Andrew Bird's line; Jno. Phillips' line, 350 acres, part of 400, 50 of which were surveyed for Jacob Rambo by deed. Teste: Abraham Bird. Delivered to Jno. Skean, February, 1758.
- Page 10.--2d February, 1754. Andrew Bird to Abraham Bird, 174 acres in Brock's Gap on North Sharrando River, the patent line to the Chimney Rock.
- Page 529.--16th May, 1768. Andrew Bird and Mary ( ) to Andrew Hulings, £35, between Smith's Creek and the mountain; corner John Phillips and Swain Rambo, 186 acres. Teste: John ( ) Blizard, Jno. Philips. Delivered: Andrew Huling, May, 1773.
Processioning List of 1756
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 174.--1756: Processioned from Fairfax's line to North River, by John Harrison and Danl. Smith, viz: For John McClure, for Richd. Dear, for Pat. Quen (Owen), for Danl. Love, for Mathew Black, for Arter Johnson, for Thomas Harrison, for John Wright, for David Walston, for William Logan, for John Davis, for Thomas Lokey, for Jacob Wooly, for Valentine Sevier, for John Phillips, for Andw. Bird, for Thos. Millsaps, for John Obryan, for Michael Wearen, for John Fawler, for David Logan, for Randolph McDonald, for John Cravens, for Joseph Cravens, for Robert Cravens, for John Shelpman, for Alex. Herring, for Jeremiah Harrison, for Reuben Harrison, for John Harrison, Sr., for John Harrison, Jr., for Zebulon Harrison, for Thomas Moore, for Moses Bird, for Wm. McGee, for Col. Wood's Plains, for Robert Harrison. Naiad Creek Patten part not processioned because Cap. Daniel Harrison and John Edwrds objected because there was no patent nor courses to know the lines. Niles Run tract not processioned by reason none to show the lines. Capn. Harrison's not processioned, none to show the lines.
Will Abstract of Andrew Byrd
- Certified copy will of Andrew Byrd, dated 27th February, 1788. Probated 28th January, 1799, Rockingham County. Wife, Mary; daughter, Catherine Circle; place where she now lives. Son, Andrew Bird. Granddaughters, Mary, Elizabeth, Catherine and Nancy West. Grandson, William West; place where his mother lives; infant. Son Abraham. [From "West vs. Byrd", Rockingham County Court Records].
Records of Andrew Byrd in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 218.--24th May, 1751. Archibald Ruddle to Stephen Ruddel. Patented by Fairfax, 21st July, 1749, on Holman's Creek, land surveyed for John Dobkin, 406 acres. Teste: Peter Scholl, Jno. Dobekins, Andrew Bird.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752 - Petition of Andrew and Magdalene Bird, administrators of Andrew Bird. James Porteus was their attorney, but now deceased, 1751. (Note: this petition was from Andrew and his mother, Magdalene, who were the administrators of Andrew Bird Sr.'s estate).
- Page 424.--2d February, 1752. Elizabeth Hodge's will--(Executors live at great distance, Gabriel Jones). Lands now in law with Asahel Hodge to be recovered; two youngest sons, Jonathan and Jacob; children, David (eldest); Elizabeth, Ruemia, Rachel, Hannah; eldest son, David, to be apprenticed to Thos. Rees, blacksmith; second son, Jonathan, to be apprenticed to Andrew Bird to learn trade of weaver; youngest son, Jacob, to be bound to Samuel Newman to do laboring work; daughter, Rachel, to be bound to Momas Looker; daughter, Hannah, to be bound to Wm. Draper. Teste: Wm. Draper, Edward Davis, Andrew Bird, Samuel Newman. Proved, 17th June, 1752, by witnesses, except Davis. Gabriel Jones refuses to execute, and administration granted Peter Scholl and Samuel Newman, with surety Thomas Looker.
- Vol. 2 - Page 98.--17th June, 1752: Jonathan Hodgh, son to John and Elizabeth Hodgh, deceased, bound to Andrew Bird, weaver.
- Page 455.--1st September, 1752. Thomas Reese's will. Blacksmith. Wife, Mary, executrix with Andrew Bird. Deed for land bought from Valentine Severe, to be made to wife, Mary, and Andrew Bird. Son, Joseph Reese, infant. Teste: Saml. Newman, Wm. Draper, Ralph Rund. Proved, 15th November, 1752, by all witnesses, and both executors qualify. (Note: Andrew Bird shortly thereafter married Thomas Reese's widow Mary).
- Page 518.--17th May, 1768. John ( ) Blizard and Ruth to Andrew Hulings, £20, between Bird land and Smith's Creek, part of 400 acres patented to Swan Rambo; corner old patent and John Philips; Andrew Bird's line; 30 acres. Teste: Andrew Bird, John Phillips, Edward Sampson. Delivered: Andrew Huling, May, 1773.
- Page 524.--3d May, 1768. John Blizard ( ) and Ruth to Frederick Zircle of Frederick County, £350, on Smith's Creek; corner Andrew Bird; line of John Phillips, 400 acres (except 50 acres surveyed off for Jacob Rambo, the plat whereof followeth John Phillips' land, which is conveyed by Andrew Bird to Jacob) as also said Blizard doth, except a parcel bounded, viz: Patent line and Bird's line; 30 acres conveyed to Andrew Hulings above. Teste: Andrew Bird, Phillip Herbern, Edward Sampson Delivered: Ludwick Zircle, May, 1770.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1768 (A). Gore vs. Phillips.--Articles of agreement, and concluded this the 22d day of January, 1766, between Joseph Goare, of Frederick County, of the one part, and the subscribers of the other part. Witness that the said Goare, schoolmaster, for my part, doth covenant and agree to and with the said gent., subscribers, to teach their said children, if committed to my care, according to their capacities in reading, writing and arithmetic and all other Christian principles in my power, and if the said master should lose any of the said term of time within the term of twelve months, commencing, it shall be made up at the end of the year. In consideration, we, the said subscribers. do hereby covenant and agree to and with the said master to give him the sum of £1, 3, 0, per scholar, where we are bound each to either in the penalty of £50, as witness our hands the day and year above mentioned. (Signed) Jos. Goare, An. Bird (2), John Blizard (2), Andrew Huling (4), Robert Oneal (2), John Philips (2), Tim Ororke, Sr. (2), Henry Goare (2), John Blizard (1 more), Andrew Huling (1), John Philips (1).
- Page 234.--24th October, 1768. James Johnson and Susanna to Charles Long, £130, 330 acres on head of Fort Run, patented to Daniel Johnson, 16th August, 1756, and by him conveyed to James. Teste: Abraham Bird, Jacob Miller, Rudy Mauck. Delivered: Jno. Bear by order, 19th December, 1774.
- Page 220.--5th November, 1768. John Hughes and Sarah ( ) to Joseph Lear (Lair), £80, 224 acres at the Watering Spring of Linvel's Creek, by patent. Teste: Andrew Bird, Matthias Lair, Edward Sampson. Delivered: your father Mathias Lair, 25th June, 1771.
- Page 154 - Joseph Reice, 42 acres on west side of Smith Creek. Adjoining Andrew Byrd, Rambo. June 6, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 55]. (Note: Joseph Reice was the step-son of Andrew Byrd, as confirmed in the August 1772 record listed below).
- Page 35.--10th August, 1769. Gasper Bramer and Catharine ( ) to Benjamin Grigsbey, £100, 72 acres on Shanando River above Lord Fairfax's line. Teste: Andrew Bird, William McDowell, William McGill.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1772 (B). - Joseph Pearse (Peace) deposition, 8th April, 1771: Edward Sampson kept school in the neighborhood of Captain Andrew Bird's and boarded with Bird, and Thomas Moore's children went to him. He and Bird frequently got drunk together, and had frequent frolics, when Bird became violent and threatened to kill everybody. Joseph Reece was Bird's step-son.
- Page 129.--21st November, 1772. John Keys and Agness ( ) to Walter Smelly (Smiley), on west side of the South River, alias the River Mary, a branch of James River, corner tract belonging to the heirs of the late John McDowell, low ground of the Rev. Alex. McDowell. Teste: Archibald Alexander, Andrew Bird, William Alexander, Robert Fearis, Joseph Alexander. Delivered to Mr. Smiley, 10th February, 1786.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ancestry.com. OneWorldTree (2). (Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA;), Database online.
Record for Andrew Bird _FOOT: Ancestry.com, OneWorldTree (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc.), Database online.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Find A Grave.
Andrew Bird, Jr.
Death: Jan. 20, 1799
Children (from family bible:
Andrew b. 30 Nov 1754 d. 30 Nov 1838
Catherine b. 1 Jun 1756
William b. 22 May 1758 d. 3 Apr 1763
Abraham b. 1 Mar 1761
Isaac b. 4 Feb 1763 d. 9 Dec 1763
- 3575 Edwards Road S, Greenwich, Ohio, United States, 44837, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, 419-752-6847