Facts and Events
||Alvis Alexander Ashley
||Lamar, Texas, United StatesFather
||Lamar, Texas, United StatesMother
||28 Jan 1875
||Lamar, Texas, United States
||Brownwood, Brown, Texas, USA
||12 Jun 1880
||Brown, Texas, United States
||4 Sep 1898
||Brown, Texas, United Statesto Virginia McArthur
||1 Jun 1900
||Robert Lee, Coke, Texas, USA
||Brownwood, Brown, Texas, USAProperty
||4 Dec 1906
||Blanket, Brown, Texas, USAProperty
||28 Apr 1910
||Blanket, Brown, Texas, USA
||from Virginia McArthur
||to Stella Marr
||Fort Worth, Tarrant, Texas, United States
||24 Feb 1920
||Blanket, Brown, Texas, USA
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, USAProperty
||from Stella Marr
||1 Jun 1925
||to Winney Unknown
||14 Jan 1926
||from Winney Unknown
||, Val Verde Co, Texas, USA
||30 Sep 1933
||to Mae Unknown
||9 Apr 1935
||from Mae Unknown
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, USAto Lorna Susan Dean
||8 Jan 1939
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, USA
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, United States
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, USA
||24 Mar 1946
||Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, USAIllness
||8 Apr 1946
||Del Rio, Val Verde County, Texas
||Brownwood, Brown, Texas, USAInternational Order of Odd Fellows
||Westlawn Cemetery, Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas, United States
See attached sources.
When he was a baby, his parents moved in a horse-drawn wagon. By the time he died, he could have flown around the world in an airplane. He was well-read, a skilled mathematician, a careful and respected carpenter, loved reading, hunting, and fishing. Joe B Ashley had many fond memories of childhood fishing trips to the Brazos River. He was member of IOOF (Odd Fellows) in Blanket and Del Rio.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Joe B. Ashley. Family sources.
- ↑ United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Primary quality.
Federal Census, Household of Alex. Ashley, names Albert (sic) A, male age 6, son, single, b TX, student.
- United States. 1900 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T624), Primary quality.
Unincorporated town of Robert Lee; household of Alvis A Ashley; living nearby are sister Myrtle & James Burroughs family, and the Roe family - future in-laws of brother Aubrey.
- ↑ United States. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T623), Primary quality.
Near Brownwood Road, household of Alvis A Ashley, white male age 35, md 11 yrs, b TX, father b KY, mother b MO, farmer, owns home-mortgaged. [Rufus Switzer is census enumerator].
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 United States. 1920 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T625), Primary quality.
Center Point Rd, household of Alvis Ashley. [although it is pretty certain he was not living with his first family any more]
- ↑ United States. 1930 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T626), Primary quality.
- ↑ United States. 1940 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T627), Primary quality.
610 West 3rd St, owns home valued @ $300;
Alvis A Ashley, head, male, white, age 64, married, b. TX, 1935-lived in same place, carpenter - worked 24 hours last week, worked 35 weeks in last 52;
Lorena [sic], wife, female, white, age 52, married, b. TX, 1935-lived in same place;
Paul Collins, son-in-law, male, white, age 23, married, b. TX, 1935-lived in same place, ranch laborer;
Mabel Collins (informant), dau, female, white, age 17, married, b. TX, 1935-lived in same place.
[Pretty sure this means Mabel is daughter of Lorena, but not of Alvis. Alvis & Lorna were married in 1937; Mabel's obituary cofirms identity of her father as James Forth. Also, "lived in same place" must mean - lived in same town, not necessarily the same house as 1935]
- ↑ Texas, United States. Death certificate, Val Verde Co, 1946, Primary quality.
BIRTH: Lamar Co TX, 20 Jan 1875 - per his death certificate. Lamar County has had two courthouse fires since his birth, therefore no record available there. It was not recorded in Hopkins County. His parents relocated to Brown County shortly after his birth. If by chance his birth had been recorded there, that courthouse burned in 1880. The 1900 census (Coke Co TX) confirms Jan 1875 birthdate. BURIAL: Westlawn Cemetery; undertaker Doran Funeral Home, Del Rio, Val Verde, TX.
- ↑ Texas. Comptroller's Office. Texas county tax rolls, 1846-1910. (Austin, Texas: Texas State Archives, 1974), Lamar Co, 1872-5, Primary quality.
1872 Tax rolls list AC Ashley - his final appearance on Lamar Co tax roll is 1875, precinct #2. This is the year Alvis was born.
- ↑ Find A Grave, Secondary quality.
Alvis Alexander Ashley; Birth: Jan. 28, 1875; Death: Apr. 8, 1946; He was the son of Alexander Campbell Ashley and Susan Caroline McGill. He married Virginia McArthur in 1898. Burial: Westlawn Cemetery, Del Rio, Val Verde County, Texas, USA; Created by: Matt Henderson; Record added: Aug 31, 2008; Find A Grave Memorial# 29457239
Cemetery is at the west end of North 2nd street. From the East main entrance, proceed straight ahead to furthest point on west side. To the left is the IOOF section; Granddad and his widow are in Lot 37 of that section.
- ↑ Tidwell, Donavon Duncan, and A.F. & A.M. (Brownwood, Texas) Freemasons. Brownwood Lodge no. 279. Freemasonry in Brownwood: a centennial history of Brownwood Lodge no. 279, A. F. & A. M., Brownwood, Texas. (Fort Worth, Texas: Masonic Home and School, 1966).
27 Dec 1875-24 Jun 1876, Brown Co TX; during this reporting period of the Masonic Lodge, AC Ashley affiliated with Brownwood Lodge, indicating his recent arrival in Brown County.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Clerk-Brown County, Texas. Deed Records, Secondary quality.
(index reviewed on-site Sep 1994)
[Bk 86/57] He bought Block 13, lots 11 & 12, Ford's Addition. In 1906 he sold the property to Nannie Lovelady.
[Vol 94/207] 2 miles west of town: East 1/2 of NW 1/4 Sect 10, Blanket Township, 85.25 acres purchased ($937.75) from his uncle, RT Magill. The north property line is the road between Blanket & Salt Creek Baptist Church.
- ↑ Named Alexander Campbell Ashley - per his death certificate. Although not a contemporaneous record, it is the most "official" record of his parentage. His only appearance with his parents on existing US Census records was in 1880 - and his name was spelled "Albert" - not a very positive ID. 1890 US census records were destroyed by fire; he was married & enumerated in his own household on the 1900 census. That census (also 1910) states his father was born in KY.
- ↑ Named Susan Caroline Magill - per Del Rio, Val Verde TX Death Certificate. Census records name her as the wife of Alexander, previously residents of Lamar County TX, and lead back to their marriage in neighboring Fannin Co TX. The 1900 and 1910 census both state Alvis' mother was born in MO.
- ↑ (NW part of town) owned small acreage - along Rio Grande River, 1/4 mi SE of the International Bridge.
- ↑ He wrote to Ira, Katie & girls. He was very proud of the picture he had received. "Please don't think hard of me for not sending you anything sooner but the fact is I was flat broke on Xmas." It was the first time he was not able to send post cards to anyone. "I always think of the times we all used to have together at Christmas." He was figuring on a job at Juno remodeling a stone building. He didn't kill a buck this season - only hunted a half-day on the ranch where he worked.
- ↑ Residence in NW edge of city.
- ↑ 618 W 3rd, wrote to Earl & Evie; was looking forward to a visit from them; trying to regain his strength. The Dr says lungs won't clear up til June. "Ma is not very well; your company will make us both feel better." They just got back from one night at La Coste (near Castroville & San Antonio); "so tired & nervous I can hardly write, so will close"; Love from Dad & Ma.
- ↑ IOOF Pecan Valley Lodge #236, LC Cleveland, Secy; 1613 7th; Brownwood TX 76801.
- ↑ Westlawn Cemetery, Del Rio, Val Verde, Texas (the symbols (the symbols F-L-T are from Independent Order of Odd Fellows "Friendship, Love, and Truth")