m. abt 1830
Facts and Events
One of the oldest houses in Guthrie Center is the old Victorian Mansion known as the Stover House. This house was built in 1882 by William James McLuen for his daughter Alice, and her husband William B. Stover The Stover house is on land originally owned in 1875 by Frank M. Howe. This 40-acre tract was sold in 1877 to Sam Dale, dividing it into smaller tracts and one of these being sold to William Stover in 1881. The firm of Stover Bros and Motz, established in 1874, carried a complete line of dry goods, clothing notions, shoes, carpets, jewelry and trunks with an inventory value of approximately $20,000 in dry goods stock.
William & Alice had at least two children Murray Collins Stover, b. 10/10/1880 and Ward W. Stover, b. 6/5/1883 and d. 1918 and Ward is buried in the Union cem., Lot 5.