Facts and Events
||27 May 1825
||11 Apr 1830
||St. Bartholomew the Great, London, England33 Bartholomew Close
||22 Jun 1830
||London, EnglandAge 5; Ship: Hibernia
||13 May 1849
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesThe Berean Baptist Church by Rev John Dowling, D.D.
to Sarah Elizabeth Hall
||3 Sep 1850
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesAge 22, 9th Ward, 3rd District
||3 Sep 1850-1857
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesJeweller
||27 Oct 1851
||New York, New York, United States295 Bleecker St, 9th Ward, NY, Witness: Henry Warner, Brooklyn, New York
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United StatesAge 27, 8th Ward, 7th District
||Manhattan, New York, New York, United States329 Hudson
||1857 - 1871
||Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United StatesAge 33, 257 Grove Street, Van Vorst
||30 Jul 1860-12 Sep 1870
||Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United StatesJeweller
||Newark, Essex, New Jersey, United StatesCivil War Draft Registration
||Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United StatesConfectionery, 257 Grove Street, Van Vorst
||12 Sep 1870
||Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United StatesAge 44
||23 Oct 1873
||Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United StatesCause of Death: stomach cancer
||23 Oct 1873
||Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States170 17th Street, South Brooklyn
||25 Oct 1873-1 May 1879
||New York Bay Cemetery, Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United StatesRemains moved May 1, 1879 to Fairmont Cemetery, Newark, New Jersey
||1 May 1879
||Fairmount Cemetery, Newark, Essex, New Jersey, United StatesPlot: Section C, Lot 42, Grave 1
||5 Sept 2013
||New York City, New York, United StatesY-DNA 37 Marker Analysis: Alexander Taber & Thomas Taber Jr Share a Common Male Ancestor
Oil painting by Alexander Taber, Brooklyn, NY, circa 1873
Alexander Taber's Signature, May 19, 1842
Marriage: Alexander Taber & Sarah Elizabeth Hall, May 13, 1849, 96 Amos Street, NY NY
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Alexander Taber, in FamilySearch. England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975. (Online: Intellectual Reserve, Inc.).
name: Alexander Taber
christening date: 11 Apr 1830
christening place: ST BARTHOLOMEW THE GREAT,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND
birth date: 27 May 1825
father's name: Thomas Taber
mother's name: Susan
indexing project (batch) number: C02230-1
system origin: England-ODM
gs film number: 374431
Baptism: Alexander Taber, April 11, 1830
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Alexander Taber family, in Hudson, New Jersey, United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, 12 Sep 1870.
1870 U.S. Federal Census
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Alex Taber family, in New York, New York, United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, 3 Sep 1850.
1850 U.S. Federal Census
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Alexander Taber family, in New York Secretary of State. State Census, New York County, New York, 1855, Jun 1855.
ED 7, Ward 8, New York City, Dwelling 139, Family 370, Lines 35-38
Material of House: Brick
Alexander Taber - Years resident in the city or town: 21; Naturalized: Yes
1855 U.S. State Census
- ↑ Alexander Taben, in New York. Court of Common Pleas (New York County); New York. Superior Court (New York County); and New York. Supreme Court (New York County). Naturalization records, 1792-1906; index, 1792-1906 (New York, New York). (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1974-1976), 27 Oct 1851.
Given Name: Alexander
Family Name: Taben [name corrected a few cards later]
Title and Location of Court: Common Pleas Court, New York County
Date of Naturalization: Oct 27, 1851
Volume or Bundle No: 111
Copy of Record: 25
Address of Naturalized Person: 295 Bleeker St, 9th Ward, NY City
Former Nationality: English
Names and Addresses and Occupations of Witnesses to Naturalization: Henry Warner 77 Butler St Brooklyn, NY [no occupation listed]
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Death Notice: Alexander Taber, in New York City, New York, United States. New York Herald. (New York, New York), Pg 9, Col 1, 24 Oct 1873.
Taber. --On Thursday, October 23, 1873, Alexander Taber, in the 47th year of his age.
Notice of funeral hereafter.
Alexander Taber's death notice in the New York Herald on 24 Oct 1873, pg 9
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Funeral Notice: Alexander Taber, in New York City, New York, United States. New York Herald. (New York, New York), Pg 8, Col 6.
TABER - At Brooklyn, L.I. on Thursday, October 23, 1873, ALEXANDER TABER, in the 47th year of his age.
The relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral from his late residence, No. 170 Seventh Street, South Brooklyn, on Saturday afternoon, at one o'clock.
Alexander Taber, NY Herald, 25 Oct 1873, pg 8, col 6
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Alexander Taber, in Trow's New York City directory. (New York: Trow City Directory Company, 1856-1891), pg 805, 1856-57.
Taber Alexander, jeweler, h 329 Hudson
Alexander Taber, jeweller, first appears in Dogget's NYC Directory in 1850-1851 at 295 Bleecker; In 1851-1852 at the same address; In 1852-1853 as Taber, Alexander, jeweller, h, 13 Minetta: Missing from 1853-1854, In 1854-1855 as Taber, Alexander, jeweller, h, 331 Hudson; In 1855-1856 the same address; In 1856-1857 as Taber, Alexander, jeweller, h, 329 Hudson. Source: Microfilm, *ZAN-G67,Reel 13, NYC Directory, New York Public Library
Taber Entries (partial) from Trow's New York City Directory, 1856-57, pg 805
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Alexander Taber family, in Hudson, New Jersey, United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, 30 Jul 1860.
Jersey City, 4th Ward, Pg 161, Dwelling 880, Family 1265, Lines 9-13, NARA microfilm publication M653, roll 693
1860 U.S. Federal Census
- ↑ Alexander Taber, in Find A Grave.
- ↑ Jersey City, New Jersey Directories 1861-1871.
Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
1861 Jersey City Directory 1863 Jersey City Directory 1864 Jersey City Directory 1866 Jersey City Directory 1867 Jersey City DIrectory 1868 Jersey City Directory 1870 Jersey City Directory 1871 Jersey City Directory
- ↑ State of NJ Excise Tax 1865.
Ancestry.com. U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
National Archives (NARA) microfilm series: M603, M754-M771, M773-M777, M779-M780, M782, M784, M787-M789, M791-M793, M795, M1631, M1775-M1776, T227, T1208-T1209.
Alexander Taber, jeweller is found at his home address of 257 Grove Street, Van Vorst, Jersey City, NJ from 1861 - 1871. From the State of NJ Excise Tax Assessments for 1864, May 1864, and September, 1865, Alexander Taber was assessed at that address for Excise Taxes. The September 1865 record lists "Article of Occupation" as "confectionery." In 1867, Sarah Taber is listed at 257 Grove Street, Confectionery.
Alexander Taber Excise Tax Assessment 1865
- Brooklyn, Kings, New York Directory.
1873 Brooklyn NY Directory
- ↑ MyFamily Tree DNA.
37 Marker Y-DNA Analysis: 4th Cousins from the Thomas Taber and Alexander Taber lines share a 34/37 Match.
- ↑ Original Letter from the Fairmount Cemetery Association, dated August 13, 1985: "He was removed from N.Y. Bay Cemetery and interred in Fairmount Cemetery on 5/1/1879."
Section C, Lot 42, Grave 1
- Description of Alexander Taber by his son, Clarence Wilbur Taber: "Although I was very young when my father died, I was early taught the most intimate facts about his life, ambitions, and accomplishments. His portrait, painted by his own hand, for he had been an artist, hung upon the wall of the great hall of the Castle. This quaint picture of him shows a cleanly-shaven man whose youth is partly disguised by long black hair smoothly brushed over the sides of his head almost covering his ears. A Prince Albert coat and a black string tie of the period add to his somber appearance. I vainly search the oval face, the gracefully arched brows, and the generous mouth for resemblance of me; yet I know that in me lives the very soul of this man - a soul that has continued its search for the unattainable. I came to worship him and to think proudly of him as having been a man of great achievement." (Source: Breaking Sod on the Prairies, Pg 3-4, Copyright World Book Company, 1924) "He was a designer of jewelry and a real artist. A number of oil paintings and some carvings remained in the family for years. He once wrote a book but later considered it was sinful to do so and he destroyed it. We all remembered a large grotto he carved out of wood the outside resembling rocks. It had isinglass windows. Stalactites and stalagmites common to caves were carved on the interior. In the center a mirror in the floor represented a lake. At one end on a raised dais was a delicate throne upon which was the figure of a king made of copper. Little copper figures, holding hands were circled around the lake; others walked about or wheeled baby carriages, all the figures moving or dancing, actuated by a clock spring. He collected rare shells and had many of value. There were possessed by Clarence W. Taber, Sr. for years and given to C.W.T. Jr. who lost possession of them 191_ - 192_. As will be seen from the genealogy of my father, he died in October 1873. As I was born in September 1870 I was at that time three years and one month old. I have always declared that although I have no recollection of my father I remember going to his funeral. The sound of the horses hooves going over a bridge made a decided impression upon me. I evidently did not understand what was being done when they lowered the box with my father into the grave. I do, however, remember seeing one of the grave diggers lower himself into the grave and stand on the box while he widened the grave with his shovel." (Source: Authobiography and Genealogy of the Taber Family by Clarence Wilbur Taber, self-publised November 1, 1952)
- ↑ Alexander Taber Death Certificate
- ↑ Alexander Taber Excise Tax Assessment 1865
- ↑ U.S. Civil War Draft Registration