Facts and Events
Alexander Painter was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 445.-- 1757. Same (Adam Rader and Barbara (signed in German, Adam Rader, Bora ( ) Rädjiou)) to Alex. Painter, £50, 250 acres, part of 480 acres above (part of 400 acres on North River of Shanando, patented to Cornelius Robinson, 15th March, 1744, and conveyed by him to Adam), a corner made for the division of Mathias Rader's part. Delivered: George Skiliron, 13th March, 1761.
- Page 437.--2d August, 1761. Adam Reder and Barbary ( ) to Alexander Painter, £5, adjoining land said Paitner lives on. Raider's old patent, 20 acres. Teste: Burr Harrison, Robert Peyton, Andrew ( ) Trumboer.
- Land Grant Survey - Page 155 - Alexander Painter, 27 acres, Branch of the North Shenandoah River. Adjoining his own land, John Moore, June 10, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 56].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 227.--20th May, 1765. Adam Reider and Anna, and Alexander Painter (Peinter) and Margret, to Peter Schol and Michael Neice, divers good causes and considerations thereunto moving, but more especially for the Glory of God and the Preaching his Precious Gospel, lease, small quantity of land for the building of a church house or proper place to meet to worship God in, to Peter Scholl in behalf of the Presbyterian Church and to Michael Neice in behalf of the church called the Lutherine Church, back of said meeting house where it now stands, three acres. Delivered: 16th February, 1785.
- Page 213.--14th May, 1771. Alexander Painter and Margaret ( ) to Christly Painter, £100. parts of several tracts patented to said Alexander, on waters of North River of Shannndoah. Thomas Moore's survey, crossing Fort Run, corner land purchased by Alexander from Adnm Raider, containing 279 acres. Delivered: Christly Painter. November Court, 1773.
- Page 218.--14th May. 1771. Alexander Painter and Margaret ( ) to John Painter, £100. parts of several tracts patented as above; Michael Nees land now Adam Painter's; corner Mathias Reader's land, 341 acres. Teste: John Painter, November, Court. 1773
Records of Alexander Painter in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 439.--10th August, 1761. Adam Raider and Barbary to Matthios Raider, £20, 100 acres adjoining land Matthios lives on; cor. Alex. Painter. Teste: Burr Harrison, Robert Peyton, Andrew ( ) Trumboer.
- Page 409.--22d August, 1751. Henry Carson's appraisement by John Dobikin, Adam Reader, Alex. Painter.
- Page 337.--15th May, 1764. Alexander Painter's bond (with Henry Long) as administrator Catherine Painter.
- Page 430.--19th August, 1772. Adam Painter and Elizabeth ( ) to Jacob Myer, of Dunmore, patent to Michael Neice, 10th August, 1759, on north side of Alexander Painter's line. Delivered: Michael Hover, November Court, 1773.
Raders Lutheran Church
Alexander Painter and Adam Rader donated land in 1765 for the building of "Raders Lutheran Church" in Rockingham County, Virginia. A monument was erected in commemeration of the donation:
Help fund new features!