Facts and Events
Alexander McCleary was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 131-35. 10-11 June 1742. Benjamin Borden of Orange County to Alexa. McClary of same. Lease and release; for £4.8.3 current money. 147 acres 8 pole, part of 92,100 acres paten 6 Nov. 1739... to a dry poor granely hollow... (signed) Benja. Borden. Wit: Chas. Quell, Robt. Hustan, Jno. Mathews. 26 Aug. 1742. Acknowledged by Benjamin Borden, Gent. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 73].
Will of Alexander McCleary
- Page 412.--17th December, 1751. Alexander McCleary's will, yeoman-- Wife, Margaret; daughter, Rachel, infant. Executors, Archd. Alexander and Robt. Huston. Teste: Samuel Gray, Moses Whitesides, Thos. McSpeaden. Proved, 20th May, 1752, by all witnesses, and executors qualify.
- Page 444.--22d August, 1752. Alexander McCleary's appraisement, by Mathsw and Daniel Lyle, Wm. Caruthers. Cash due from Nancy.
Processioning List of 1748
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 14.--12 April, 1748: Processioners' Returns: Robert Huston and Alex. McClure: Processioned for Wm. Hall, Robert Allison present; 20th January, 1747-8, processioned for John McNab, Baptist McNab present; 20th January 1747-8, processioned for Robert Huston; 28th January, 1747-8, processioned for Charles Hays, Andrew Hays present; processioned for Wm. Givens, Andrew Hays present; 29th January, 1747-8, processioned for John Stevenson, Andrew Stevenson present; 29th January, 1747-8, processioned for Andrew Baxter, Nathaniel Evans present; 29th January 1747-8, processioned for Alex. McCleary, Moses Whiteside present; 30th January, 1747-8, processioned for Mathew Lyle, John Lyle present; 30th January, 1747-8, processioned for John Gray, Mathew Lyle present; 12th February, 1747-8, processioned for John Pater Sally, Michael Finney present; 10th March, 1747-8, processioned for John Paul, Roger Kays present.
Records of Alexander McCleary in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - DISTRICT COURT. - List of deeds recorded in Orange County executed by Benjamin Borden, 1734-1745: Alexander McClary, 7th June, 1742. (listed among many others).
- Page 173.--22d November, 1744. £3.3.3; Benjamin Borden, &c., to Thomas McSpeadon; 106 acres, part of 92,100 acres; corner to Alexander McCleary. Acknowledged, 22d November, 1746.
- Page 463.--18th February. 1747. £29. Benj. Borden. &c., to Archibald Alexander (sold in testator's lifetime), 980 acres, part of 92,100; corner Thomas McSpaden; corner Alexander McCleary, near a sink hole called the Punch Bowl. Teste: None. Acknowledged as above.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1747. - (197) Andrew Muldrough, John Donerly, Alexr. McClary, and Hugh Coffie, appraisers of John Watson.
- Page 161.--19th March, 1753. Same (Borden, etc.) to William Caruthers, 340 acres of 92100; Mathew Lyle's corner; McSpadden's line; Alexander McCleery's line.
Help fund new features!