Facts and Events
Alexander Martin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records of Alexander Martin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 209.--17th August, 1758: Orphan Alex. Martin bound to Wm. Johnston. (Note: if this record is referring to this Alexander Martin, he wound have been just an infant. The fact that a John Johnston provided surety for Alexander's marriage bond in 1788 makes it likely that this is for the same Alexander Martin).
- Vol. 2 - 1784---Page 1, soldier's wife, Sarah Welch; pensioners, Alex. Martin.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1784. - (175) Alexander Martin, wounded at Guilford, is allowed as a pensioner.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER 18, 1785. - (256) Alexr. Martin allowed a pension of £18, being incapacitated from labor by wounds and injuries received in the public service.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1786. - (284) Alexander Martin, a pensioner proved that he received his wounds at the battle of Guilford, in North Carolina, 15 March, 1781, in Capt. Joseph Alexander's Company of Militia from Rockbridge County. Is aged 27 and resides in this County. (Note: establishes Alexander's birthdate in abt. 1758).
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 19, 1788. (452-454) Alexr. Martin, pensioner, to receive £30.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1788--June 24, Alex. Martin and John Johnston, surety. Alex. Martin and Jane Black, daughter of Henry Black (consent). Teste: John Black.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage in Augusta County - 1788, --By Rev. Wm. Wilson: June 25th, Alex. Martin and Jane Black.
- Vol. 1 - APRIL 22, 1789. - (51) Alexander Martin to be paid £16, his pension for 1788.
Information on Alexander Martin
Wounded In Battle Of Guilford Courthouse, Greensboro, N.C.
From Rootsweb.com post:
MARTIN, Alexander Born in Augusta County in 1758, married Jane Black June 4, 1788, had 14 children, died Brown County, Ohio, on September 30, 1816.
I am seeking information on Alexander MARTIN'S parents. They were reported to have died in an Indian raid near Tinkling Springs in 1758, leaving Alexander an orphan. He was indentured to William Johnston in August 1758.
Also looking for information on Henry Black, Jane Black's father.
Help fund new features!