Facts and Events
Alexander Hannah was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- 1820, Sept. Will of Alexander Hannah proved Botetourt Co., VA. Named wife Mary, children James, Joseph, Peggy Gibson, and Anna Taylor.
- Will proved Sep 1820, Botetourt Co., VA.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 114--Thomas Hannah's heirs vs. Henry V. Bingham--John Shiflet deposes, 1815, the ford on South River was called Thompson's Ford 50 years ago. Jacob Scott deposes, at his home in Rockingham, he is 70 years old. When he was 20 years old he recalls that his half-brother lived then in a cabin on land now owned by Jno. Mohler on South River, near a cave then called Hannah's Cave, since known as Madison's Cave; present saltpeter works on the land; Mathias Amond lived near the ford; James Lamb and his son, James Lamb. The cave was also called Weyer's or Amond's Cave. Alexr. Hannah deposes, in Augusta, 1814, is 70 years of age; he was 14 years old when his father moved to the plantation where heirs of Thos. Hannah now live; Alexr. was son of Joseph; the Hannah's got Ocher out of the Cave; there was a schoolhouse near the mouth of the cave. Patent, 30th July, 1742, to Alexr. Thompson, 400 acres on South River above the Red Banks. Deed, 9th February, 1745, Thompson to Alexr. Downs of Orange, 300 acres part of above 400 acres. Deed, 18th February, 1746. Thompson to Wm. Beard, tract called Cave Bottom, 100 acres. Deed, 15th July, 1753, by Beard to Robert Frazer, conveys above. Deed, Henry Downs to Joseph Hannah, 5th October, 1758, 300 acres. Deed, 3d July, 1771, by Robert Frazier to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 100 acres. Patent, 20th July, 1787, to Benj. Yearby (Yearly), 454 acres on South River, opposite Benjamin's other land. Deed, 21st October, 1788, by Benj Yearby to Mathias Amond, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Will of Joseph Hannah, 27th July, 1789, of Rockingham. Sons, Thomas, Alexr., Joseph, David; daughters, Rosana, Mary Boon, Jane Olden; wife, Anna. Recorded in Rockingham, 28th September, 1789. Deed, 22d February, 1796, by Rosana Ocheltree to Mathias Amond, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham on South River. Recorded in Rockingham, 1796. Deed, 26th September, 1808, by James Lamme and Elizabeth to Wm. Lamme, 90 acres, partly in Augusta and partly in Rockingham, at mouth of Middle River; 40 acres is part of 363 acres conveyed by Wm. Lamme, Sr., to said James and Samuel Lamme, 17th November, 1773; 50 acres were conveyed by Chas. Fox and Rosana to said James, 26th April, 1802. Wife, Magdaline; sons, William, Thomas, Joseph, John; daughters, Magdaline, Caty, Margaret, Mefford, Mary. Dated 6th December, 1808. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, Mathias Amond of Rockingham to Henry V. Bingham, 1,180 acres on South River. Recorded in Rockingham. Deed, 9th December, 1809, by same to same, 10-1/4 acres in Rockingham. Recorded in Rockingham.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Brøderbund Software, Inc. World Family Tree Vol. 6, Ed. 1. (Release date: August 22, 1996), Tree #2441.
Date of Import: Aug 18, 1998
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 lairdwft6.FTW.
Date of Import: Aug 18, 1998
- Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.