d.Bef. 20 March 1794
Facts and Events
||to Rebecca Unknown
||Bef. 20 March 1794
Adam Stephenson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 260.--12th February, 1778. Ralph Lofftus and Sarah to Adam and John Stephenson and Samuel Anderson. Patented to William Cunningham, 10th August, 1759, on Thorny Branch. Delivered: John Bing, August, 1778. Teste: Thomas, Joseph and James Waddle.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 272.--1760: Processioned by John Malkem and Alex. Blair, viz: For John Young, for Robert Young, for James Anderson, for Alex. Blair, for John Anderson, for John Francey, for Wm. Cunningham, fnr John McKemy. for Walter Trimble, for Hugh Dever, for John Davies, for _____ Doughlas, for Daniel Smith, for Bigham's land formerly known by the name of Gragg's, for Gabriel Pickens, for Robert Poage, for Abraham Smith, for Isaiah Shipman, for David Robiston, for Silas Hart, for John Cunningham, for Henry Smith, for Widow Ramsey, for Thomas Woodal, for Moses Hall, for Andrey McCown, for James Bell, for Edward Erwin, for Alex. Craig, for Wm. Frame, for Thos. Waterson, for Francis Brown, for John King, for John Searight, for John Kear, for Hugh Campbell, for Alex. Kile, for Robert Fowler, for James Gamble, for James Leeper, Sr. and Jr., for James Blair, for Edward Erwin's land formerly known as Brownlee's place, for Adam Stevenson, for Umphrey's place on North River, for Stevenson's place they live on, for Jacob and Christian Roleman, for John Malcom, for William Flimen, for Charles Campbell, for Robert Campbell, for William Brown, for Widow and John and James Alexander, for Michael Dickey, for James Young, for James Patterson, for Andrew Erwin, for John Erwin, for Edward Erwin, for Francis Erwin, for Hugh Campbell, Jr., for James McGill, for Robert Brown, for James Young.
Records of Adam Stephenson in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bonds - 1786--June 27, James Waddle and Ann Stephenson, daughter of Adam Stephenson; surety, Thomas Waddle; witnesses, John Hair, Wm. Stephenson.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1794. - John Stephenson vs. Stephenson.--John and Adam Stephenson were brothers. Adam died intestate, leaving Rebecca Stephenson, his widow. Anne, who married James Waddel; Sarah, wife of John Hair; James Stephenson, William and Rebecca Stephenson were infants. Decree for division.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 20, 1794. - (66) Stevenson vs. Rebecca Stephenson, relict of Adam Stephenson, deceased, James Waddle and Ann; John Hair and Sarah; William, James and Rebecca Stephenson, heirs of Adam Stephenson.
- Vol. 1 - JULY 21, 1795. - (323) Rebecca Stephenson, orphan of Adam Stephenson, deceased, chose William Stephenson guardian.
- Vol. 2 - Snapp vs. Stephenson--O. S. 28; N. S. 10--Rockingham. William, James and Rebekah (children and heirs), and Rebekah Stephenson (widow), heirs of Adam Stephenson, 1st March, 1797.
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).
Help fund new features!