m. Est. 1737-1744
- Adam GuthrieBET 1740 AND 1745 - 1827
Facts and Events
Records of Adam Guthrie in Augusta County, VA
- Vol. 2 - Ditto from Augusta County Court, 21st December, 1779, James Brown and Adam Guthery as nephews of James Dunlap, prove that James served as Lieutenant in Cap. Peter Hog's Company of Rangers and was destroyed by the enemy in 1758.
- Vol. 1 - DECEMBER 21, 1779. - (178) James Brown and Adam Guthery granted certificates as nephews and heirs at-law of James Dunlap, deceased, who served as Lieutenant in Capt. Hog's Company of Rangers and was destroyed by the enemy at the fort in the upper tract on the South Branch of Potomac in 1758, and James and Adam are the only legal heirs now in this State.
- Page 144.--12th June, 1784. George Anderson's will, Sr.--To wife; to grandson, George, infant, son to testator's deceased son and heir-at-law, William, 100 acres where William lived, adjoining Paterson's Island; to sons, George and James, executors; to grandson, George Anderson, son to testator's deceased son, John, infant; to son William's daughters, sisters of grandson George, supra; to son-in-law, Gilbert Christian; to son-in-law, Adam Guthery; to son-in-law, James Andiddle; to son-in-law, Wm. Anderson; to daughter, Jane. Teste: Robert Kenney, James Magonel. Andrew Anderson. Codicil, 9th June, 1788. The 100 acres devised to grandson George is now devided between him and his mother Margaret, and at her marriage or death, then her 50 acres to testator's grandchildren, Elizabeth, Mary Margaret, Robert, Jane, and Nancy Anderson. Teste: James Anderson, Wm. Anderson, Wm. Brooks. Proved, 21st April, 1789, by Kenny and Anderson, and on 22d April, 1789, executors qualify. (Note: this record identifies George Anderson the father-in-law of Adam Guthrie).
Other Guthrie records in Augusta County, VA
Most of these records pertain to the family of William Guthrie (possible cousin?):
- Page 43.--On Long Glade patented to John Anderson and became property of Mustoe and Chambers, 27 acres patented to Samuel Anderson 1st June, 1782. Page 45.--Delivered to Jno. Guthrey, son of William, 1st December, 1790. Teste: William Orr.
- Page 190.--21st April, 1789. Wm. Killpatrick and Jennet to Reuben George, tract on the last branch of Bullpasture called Harper's Run. Teste Joseph Bell, Wm. Bell, Jr., Isabella Burnes. Page 192.--Teste: Hugh Gelkeson, Daniel Guthrie, Elizabeth Gilkeson, Wm. Guthrie, Jr.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County, VA - 1794--January 11, Isaiah Roberts and Jno. Guthery, surety. Isaiah Roberts and Nancy Guthrey, of age, daughter of Wm. Guthery.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County, VA - 1794--May 14, John Guthrey and Hugh Gilkeson, surety. John Guthrey and Margaret Gilkeson, daughter of Hugh Gilkeson.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage in Augusta County, VA - By Rev. John McCue; 1704, April 9th, Isaac Blair (n?) and Ann Guthery.
- Page 169.--12th April, 1794. James McCune's will--To eldest sister, Rachel Bell; to sister, Anne; to eldest brother, John McCune; to brother, Samuel; to brother, Wm. McCune; to brother, Archibald; to sister's daughter, Mary Beele; to brother William's son, James A. McCune, tract on Tennessee River; to sister Elizabeth's son, Alexander M. Henry, tract on Tennessee River. Executors, brothers Samuel and Archibald. Teste: John Guthray, David McClure, John Trimble. Proved, 16th June, 1795, by Guthrey and McClure. Executor qualified.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 18, 1797. - (149-159) John Guthrey, for a scurrilous libel to the Court and acknowledged by him, is to be put in the pillory from 11 to 12 o'clock tomorrow.
- Page 43.--23d January, 1800. William Guthrey's, of Shenandoah, revocation of power of attorney given 20th March, 1795, to Isaiah Roberts to transact his business in Virginia. William is late of York County, Penna., has now returned to Virginia.
Information on Adam Guthrie
- 572. Adam Guthrie, born Bet. 1740 - 1745 in probably Ireland; died August 20, 1827 in Cumberland County, Kentucky. He married 573. Mary Anderson.
- 573. Mary Anderson, born Bef. March 18, 1743/44 in Augusta County, Virginia; died Bef. 1825. She was the daughter of 1146. George Anderson, Sr. and 1147. Elizabeth ?.
- Children of Adam Guthrie and Mary Anderson are:
- i. Elizabeth Guthrie, born Bet. 1760 - 1770; died Unknow
- ii. William Guthrie, born Bet. 1770 - 1780; died Unknown; married Hannah Smiley February 01, 1800 in Greene County, Tennessee; born Unknown; died Unknown.
- iii. James Guthrie, Sr., born Bet. 1770 - 1775; died Bet. 1850 - 1860 in Clinton County, Kentucky; married Sarah Atchley January 07, 1808 in Cumberland County, Kentucky; born November 28, 1785 in Botetourt County, Virginia; died Bet. 1860 - 1870 in Clinton County, Kentuck
- 286 iv. George Guthrie, Sr., born Bet. 1780 - 1790; died Aft. 1840 in Fayette County, Illinois; married Hannah ?.
- v. Thomas Guthrie, born Bet. 1780 - 1790 in Tennessee; died Bet. 1840 - 1850 in Harrison County, Tennessee; married Mary Canterbury September 08, 1809 in Sevier County, Tennessee?; born February 05, 1792; died Unknown.
- vi. Nancy Guthrie, born Bet. 1780 - 1790 in Tennessee; died Unknown.
- vii. Mary Guthrie, born Abt. 1781 in Tennessee; died Unknown.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Guthrie, Larry J. Clan Guthrie Genealogy Pages.
Help fund new features!