Facts and Events
Adam Carruth was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 215-216. Know all men by these presents that I, John King, of Augusta County, grant certain peace of Meadow ground unto Adam Carruth of same county.. 8 acres, 3 roods of land being part.. containing 400 acres.. granted by Pattent dated 1 Dec. 1740 and in Secretaries Office in this Colony.. hath sold.. consideration of £7.10.0.. dated 6th May 1745. (signed) John King (Seal). Witnesses: Joseph Russell Junr., James Suggett. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 48]. (Note: the record below shows that this land was located "on a branch of Naked Creek; corner to John Seawright's land").
Related Record in Augusta County, Virginia Records:
- Page 308.---4th August, 1747. Adam Caruth to John King, £7.10.0 current money Virginia; 8 acres, 3 R., on a branch of Naked Creek; corner to John Seawright's land. Teste: John Anderson, John Seawright, John Stevenson. Proved by all, 19th August, 1747.
Records of Adam Carruth in Rowan County, NC
- 15 Feb 1762: Deed of sale from Adam Carruth and wife Elizabeth to David Kerr for 333 acres.
- 15 Oct 1763: David Kerr - Overseer of roads from Indian Path to Mr. Carruth Creek.
- 9 Jan 1765: David Kerr - Overseer of roads from Mr Carrath Creek to the Indian Path.
- 8 Feb 1769: David Kerr witnessed will of Walter Carruth. (Note: Walter Carruth was this Adam Carruth's brother).
Information on Adam Carruth
Adam Carruth [Parents] was born about 1704 in Antrim,, Ireland. He died in 1782 in Gaston, North Carolina. He married Elizabeth Beattie.
Elizabeth Beattie died after 1782. She married Adam Carruth.
They had the following children:
M i John Carruth
M ii James Carruth was born in 1744.
F iii Mary Carruth was born in 1745.
M iv Robert Carruth
M v Walter Carruth
F vi Jane Carruth
F vii Alice Carruth