- Source:McCormick, 1898 See: Internet Archives
- McCormick Family History]
From: Source:McCormick, 1898
The McCormick Family
From the county records of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and from various other sources, it has been learned that there were a number of families, bearing the name of McCormick, residing in that county and its vicinity, prior to 1750.
Although no relationship has been traced between them, yet they were doubtless all of the same stock, as a North of Ireland nativity and a Presbyterian faith were common to them all.
John and Samuel McCormick paid taxes in East Pennsboro' Township in 1750. They were near neighbors of Thomas McCormick (1st), and may have been his brothers, but this relationship is only a matter of surmise.
In Rupp's "History of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania," there may be found a copy of a letter, dated August 24, 1 756, addressed to the Secretary of the Colony in Philadelphia, advising him of the "melancholy state" in which the colonists found themselves by reason of the savage Indians. This letter was signed, among others, by John and Samuel McCormick.
In Rupp's History, mention is also made of "McCormick's Fort" at Conodoguinet,  and again of the fact, that, by an Act of the Assembly of Jan. 27, 1750, John McCormick and four others, as trustees for the County of Cumberland, were authorized to purchase a piece of land in the said county, and thereon build a court house and a prison.
The name of John McCormick, with forty others, is also found signed to a document, bearing date June 27, 1768, guaranteeing to Rev. John Steel, " then minister at the Silvers Spring Church," his yearly stipend.
This John McCormick died in 1782, and his widow, Jane, in 1788. From her will it appears that they had five children, namely: John, Margaret, who married Hugh Quigley, Elizabeth, who became Mrs. Adams, and two daughters whose names are unknown.
From: McCormick Family History]
- John McCormick was born about 1718, in or near Londonderry, Ireland and died in October, 1782. He was buried in the Silver Spring churchyard in East Pennsboro, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania.
- He located in East Pennsboro township as early as 1745. He is identified in the act governing the formation of Cumberland county in 1750, as one of the trustees for the purchasing of land on which to build a court house and prison.
- During the French and Indian war his dwelling was stockaded and the refuge of the frontier settlers and hence designated as "McCormick's Fort at Conedoguinet."
- He married Jean Cathay, daughter of John and Anna Cathay. John died in the spring of 1742/43 in Paxtang.
- Jean wrote her will in Cumberland County on January 18, 1788 and it was proved on February 13, 1788. The will lists all of her children by name:.
- John McCormick
- John married and had children. He later went to Jefferson County, Ohio with William Sharon and lived in Jefferson County. He was an administrator of William's will there.
- His children included:
- THOMAS McCORMICK
- HUDSON McCORMICK
- Margaret McCormick
- Margaret married Hugh Quigley and had these children:
- ELIZABETH QUIGLEY
- JOHN QUIGLEY
- WILLIAM QUIGLLEY,
- SAMUEL QUIGLEY
- ESTHER QUIGLEY
- JANE QUIGLEY
- SARAH QUIGLEY
- Jane McCormick
- Jane married David McClure and had these children:
- SAMUEL McCLURE
- JOHN McCLURE
- THOMAS McCLURE
- JAMES McCLURE
- WILLIAM McCLURE
- WILSON McCLURE
- DAVID McCLURE
- Elizabeth McCormick
- Elizabeth married James Sharon. Elizabeth McCormick Sharon and her brother John McCormick went to Ohio with her son,
- William. She is listed as one of the first Pioneers of Jefferson County.
- They had the following children:
- JAMES SHARON
- ELIZABETH SHARON
- SARAH SHARON
- MARY SHARON
- ISABELLA SHARON
- WILLIAM SHARON
- Ann McCormick
- Ann McCormick married David Adams and they had:
- WILLIAM ADAMS
- ANN ADAMS
- ↑ There are two pioneer forts in the area. The one referred to here was in place by 1757, and served to protect settlers from Indian attacks during the French and Indian War. It should not be confused with the better documented "McCormick's Fort" in the Juanita River basin. This fort was built by a Robert McComick in 1778, serving as protection for settlers from Indian attacks during the Revolution.
- ↑ There were several McCormicks in the area, includeing Samuel presumed brother of John, who lived adjacent to him on the north side of the Conodoguinet, north of Silver Spring Meetinghouse. It is not clear that McCormicks Fort was necessarily on either John or Samuel's property.
From WikiMedia Commons