- Person:Alexander Walker (26)
- List of Records for Alexander Walker in Chalkley's Chronicles
This notebook collects information concerning Person:Alexander Walker (26) aka "Sawney"
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 248.--9th May, 1752. Esther Campbell to Alexander Walker, farmer, 287 acres on a branch of Little's Creek; corner John Campbell. Teste: Robert Patrick, James Hamilton.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 489.--19th August, 1766. Alexander ( ) Walker and Elisabeth to Alexander Walker, his son, £10, 287 acres on a branch of Little's Creek, patented to Esther Campbell, 3d November, 1760, and conveyed by her to Alexander, Sr., 19th May, 1752; corner John Campbell. Delivered: Alex. Walker, Jr., April, 1769.
From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
- Page 326 - - 20th November, 1774. Alexander Walker's will - -
- To wife, Elizabeth;
- to son, Robert, negro boy,
- to daughter, Mary, negro girl;
- to son, Andrew, 90 acres bought of Joseph Lindel;
- to daughter Martha, to daughter, Elizabeth;
- to daughter Barbara;
- to son, John, testator's home plantation;
- to daughter, Isabell. (Many negro slaves bequeathed)
- daughter Margaret;
- to son, Alexander's two children, Jane and Elizabeth Walker.
- Executors, wife Elizabeth and son Robert.
- John Campbell be guardian of children.
- Teste: Joseph Hannah, Robert Haslet, Thos. Connly.
- Proved, 21st March, 1775, by the witnesses.
- Executors qualify with John Hind, Arthur Connaly, John Campbell.
- Page 535.--24th June, 1786. Alex. Walker's estate settled--1774, paid to legatees, Robert and Mary Walker; to Thos. Connelly, husband to Margret; to Isabella Walker; paid John Ervin for teaching the children, 1780; paid James Anderson, ditto, 1782; paid John Young, ditto, 1785. Legatees Andrew and Martha are dead. Legatee Elizabeth is dead.
From Chalkley's: (contains some information on this family)
- Walker vs. Campbell (Connelly)--O. S. 20; N. S. 7--Bill filed in Augusta, 1789. Isabella and Barbara Walker, infants, by Hugh Donaghe, against Robert and Elizabeth Walker et als. Oratrices were daughters of Alexander Walker, who died testate in Augusta; will dated 20th November, 1774; bill for settlement. Administrators' accounts show, 1774, cash paid Thomas Connelly, husband to Margaret (daughter of Alexr.). May, 1793, abates as to Isabella by her marriage with Robert Reed.
2229 - Alexander WALKER, Janat COWAN, (M) bapt, 1 Sep 1716, Alexander WALKER, Wigtown, Wigtown, 1068042
MARCH, 1797 (N to W).
Isabella and Barbara Walker, infants, by Hugh Donaghe, their guardian,
vs. Elizabeth and Robert Walker, Arthur Connolly and John Campbell.--
Alex. Walker, father of oratrixes, and husband of Elizabeth, and father (?)
of Robert, died, 1774, with will. Bill for accounting. Elizabeth Walker's
answer, sworn to 10th December, 1790. Spa. in chancery, 2d June, 1787.
This suit contains settlement of the estate, with all the heirs, giving names.
From Kerr discussion group:
Subj: Re: [WALKER-southern] ALEXANDER WALKER
Date:4/12/02 2:56:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:tburn@@arkmola.net (Terry Burnside)
Re: [WALKER-southern] NELSON A. WALKER
Alexander WALKER died in early 1775 in Augusta County, Va. His land was up near the present boundary with Rockingham Co. He was born about 1718, I'm not sure where. He was married once or twice. Left lots of children. His best known descendent is a grandson, James Alexander Walker, who died in 1901. James Alexander was a Brig. Gen., C.S.A., commanded the Stonewall Brigade for a couple of years and a division at Appomatox, later Lt. Gov., Va, and member of Congress for a couple of terms. No one in this group seems related to this particular Walker line.