- James Campbell settled in Derry Township in 1775. His property is located in a bend of Swatera Creek where the modern town of Hershey is sited.
- Egles Notes and Queries gives his will extract, noting that he died in 1771:
- James Campbell, step-dau. Jean Edmundson, James Vernon son of step-son, Harry Vernon, Robert Cross's Children; sister Martha Cary & Elizabeth Long (in Ireland), sons John & Patrick and James Campbell son of his son Patrick, wit. Rev John Roan.
- The fact that Rev. John Roan, minister of the Old Hanover Church near Hershey, witnessed the will is evidence that this is the John Campbell who settled in Derry tp.
- James father is identified in some lineages as "John Campbell", of who it is said::
He emigrated to America in 1726, and settled in Donegal, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, but soon removed with several of his family to that part of Orange County, Virginia, which in 1738 was formed into Augusta County.