Notebook. Land Record Notes for Francis McCown of Augusta County

Article Covers
Surnames
McCown
McCoun
McCune
Places
Augusta County, Virginia

Contents


Return to Old Augusta County!
Cowan Tapestry
Register
Data
Notebooks
Analysis
Bibliography
Graphics
YDNA
Cowan Links
Index

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky


Land Record Notes for Francis McCown

Compiled by: Leonard McCown (e-mail: leonard@mccown.org)

Data for Francis McCown:


Land Purchased by Francis McCown

5/6 June 1739. Orange Co., Va. Deed 3:261-264.

Francis McCune, farmer, of Orange Co., from William Beverley, Gentleman of Essex Co., 196 1/2 acres, part of Beverley Manor on Lewis' Creek (Long Meadow Run), for 5 shillings; 5 pounds, 17 shillings, 11 pence current money of Virginia. Lines and corners: Seth Poages, John Lewis. Witnesses, James Porteus, Tho. Wood, John Latham. Acknowledged 24 June 1739.
Beginning at a white oak and hickory sapling in Seth Poages line and running thence south east by east 180 poles along Jno. Lewis line to his corner red oak; thence north east by north 138 poles to a hickory & two white oaks; thence north west by west 120 poles to two white oaks; thence north east by north 164 poles to a stake and small sapling; thence north west by west 60 poles to two hickories red and white oak saplings of Seth Poges; thence along his line south west by west 302 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis sold this 18/19 April 1746. Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:90-94. See also Beverley Patent map. Lewis Creek today runs northeast and southwest through Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia.


13 August 1743. Augusta Co., Virginia.

Francis McCown patented 728 acres (also listed as 720 acres in some records) "on Tees Creek, cor. Robert Erwin", on waters of the upper James River between the Blue Ridge and the North Mountain.
Notes: Tee's Creek today is called Kerr's Creek, and is northwest of Lexington in central Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


19 June 1746. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 1:120-122.

Francis McCune from Zeruiah Borden, widow of Frederick Co., and Benjamin Borden of Augusta, executors of Benj. Borden, late of Orange, for 3 pounds current money of Virginia; 328 acres, part of 92,100 acres patented to Benjamin Sr., 6 Nov. 1739, the Barrens on the south side of the creek, corner to Joseph Kennedy. Witnesses: Jno. Smith, Samson Archer, Repentance Townsend. Acknowledged by Benjamin in person for Zeruiah, 19 June 1746.
Beginning at a stake in the Barrens on the south side of the Creek and runneth thence north 77 degrees east 164 poles to a stake by a white oak sapling; thence north 59 degrees east 100 poles to a black and red oak sapling; south 64 and a half degrees east 40 poles to a black and white oak, corner Joseph Kennedys land; south 13 degrees west 146 poles to a double white oak corner to Kennedy; south 40 degrees east 106 poles crossing the creek to a stake on the bottom; south 77 degrees west 180 poles crossing a branch to a white oak sapling; north 13 degrees east 10 poles to a large black oak; south 77 degrees west 40 poles to white and black oaks and hickory saplings; thence north 26 degrees west 240 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis sold 10 1/2 acres 38 poles, 20/28 Nov. 1749 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 2:321); he sold 317 acres, 15/16 Nov 1757 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 7:482). See the Borden map. This area today is to the west of Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia.


21/29 February 1751. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 3:103-107.

Francis McKown, yeoman, from Hugh Martin, 227 acres part of a large tract sold by McKown to Martin, 21 Feb. 1751, on Tee's Creek, corner to Robert Erwin's, for 5 shillings; 60 pounds current money of Virginia. Acknowledged by Hugh Martin, 26 Feb. 1750.
Beginning at two locust in Mr. Burdens patent line, corner to Robert Erwins land; thence with the said Burdens line north 40 degrees east 200 poles to two small black oaks; thence north 54 degrees west 230 poles to two white oaks and a black oak; thence south 14 degrees west 192 poles; thence south 75 degrees east 16 poles to two white oaks and a Spanish oak; thence south 46 degrees west 7 poles to two hickories and a white oak corner to the aforesaid Robin Ervins land with his line south 50 degrees east 148 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis sold this 10/11 Apr. 1746 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:47-50), bought it back with this deed, and sold it again, 7/8 Feb. 1753 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 5:554). Tee's Creek today is called Kerr's Creek and is northwest of Lexington in central Rockbridge Co., Va.


25/26 November 1751. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 4:1-5.

Francis McCewn, Yeoman, from Robert Renick and Elizabeth, 300 acres which Renick patented 20 June 1749, on a head branch of Cedar Creek, a branch of James River, at a place called Timber Plain, for 5 shillings; five shillings current money of Virginia. Corner, John Poage, east side of branch. Teste: John Archer, Wm. Lusk, Joseph Lang. Eliza. the wife of the said Remick relinguished her right of dower. Delivered to Francis McKown, 19 May 1752.
Beginning on a hickory corner to John Poages land on the east side of a branch and running thence north 40 degrees east 80 poles to an elm hickory & walnut by a branch; thence south 50 degrees east 60 poles to two locusts; thence north 40 degrees east crossing a branch 194 poles to two hickorys on a ridge; thence south 50 degrees east 40 poles to a black oak; thence north 40 degrees east 55 poles crossing a branch to a white oak on the side of a hill; thence south 50 degrees east 88 poles crossing Ceder Creek to a white oak & Spanish oak on the side of a hill; thence south 25 degrees west 109 poles to a black oak; thence south 55 degrees west 84 poles to two hickories; thence south 40 degrees west 120 poles to a hickory and white oak; thence to and with John Poages line north 50 degrees west 202 poles to the beginning.
Notes: This land was surveyed for Robert Renick 13 March 1745 by Thos. Lewis. (Augusta Co., Va. Surveyors' Records 1:5) Francis sold 250 acres of this 25/26 November 1755 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 7:400-402) the other 50 acres was probably left to his son James by will. Today this area is in Rockbridge Co., Virginia near the Natural Bridge.


5/6 February 1752. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 4:264-267.

Francis McCewn (McKown) from James McCewn (McKown), 400 acres granted James McCewn 14 July 1749 for 5 shillings; 100 pounds current lawful money of Virginia. On a Timber Ridge on the south side of the North Branch of the James River. Witnesses, Richard Brush, James McCord, Charles Wilson. Acknowledged 20 May 1752.
Beginning at a white oak on the south side of the ridge running thence 10 degrees west 160 poles to a black oak; thence north 76 degrees east 400 poles to a post by a hickory sapling; thence south 14 degrees east 160 poles to a post; thence south 76 degrees west 410 poles to the beginning.
Notes: This land was left by will to his sons, George and Francis. Also, there was a mistake in the description in the deed which later caused a law suit. Son Francis died, and George sold the land. See Rockbridge Co., Va. Deed A:209 and A:490-491. Today this area is northeast of Lexington, Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


9/10 June 1757. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 7:453-455.

Francis McCown, yeoman, from Peter Wallace and Martha, for 5 shillings; for 56 pounds, 150 1/2 acres on Whistle Creek in Forkes of the James River; corner to Low Todd. Teste: Alexander Creaghead, Richard Woods, Robert McElheney. Acknowledged 16 June 1757.
Beginning at a post between a hickory & a white oak by a branch Corner to Low Todd, thence with his line South 60 degrees East 220 poles to two white oaks on the side of a hill Corner to the said Low Todds land thence South 30 degrees West 109 1/2 poles to two Chestnuts thence North 60 degrees west 220 poles to a post by two white oaks thence North 30 degrees East 109 1/2 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Peter bought this 4 Jan. 1750 from Mathew Young and Agness. Bought by James Young from Borden, recorded in Orange Co. and conveyed by James to Mathew (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 3:160; Chalkley 3:292).
In 1770 the Botetourt line was drawn across a part of present day Rockbridge Co., that would make the lands of the McCowns in that Co. until 1778.
This land was left by will to son Malcom. Malcom sold it to Samuel Wilson, 14 August 1769 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 15:541-543). Lines and corners: Low Todd (now Hugh Cunningham). Whistle Creek is northeast of Lexington, Rockbridge Co., Virginia, and south of Kerr's Creek.

Land Sold by Francis McCown

8/9 March 1745/46. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 1:50-53.

Francis McCewn, Yeoman, to Robert Erwin, Yeoman, for 5 shillings; 12 pounds current money of Virginia; 200 acres, part of 728 acres patented 13 Aug. 1743 on Branch of Tee's Creek, the Borden line. Witnesses: Charles Wilson, Samuel Norwood, Thomas Taylor. Margret McCown wife of Francis relinquished her right of dower. Acknowledged by Francis and Margret his wife, 14 Apr. 1746.
Beginning at two locusts in Mr. Benj. Bordens patent line running thence north 50 degrees west 148 poles to two hickorys and a white oak; thence south 46 degrees west 202 poles to a Spanish oak on a hill; thence south 50 degrees east 172 poles to two white oaks on the old Borden line; thence with said line north 40 degrees east 200 poles to the first mentioned locusts the place of beginning.
Notes: Tee's Creek today is called Kerr's Creek and is northwest of Lexington, Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


8/9 April 1746. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 1:54-57.

Francis McCewn, Yeoman, to Samuel Norwood, Yeoman, for 5 shillings; 90 pounds current money of Virginia; 500 acres, part of a 728 acre tract patented 13 Aug. 1743, on Tee's Creek. Witnesses: J. Buchanan, Henry Downs, Jr., James Robertson. Margret McCown, wife of Francis relinquished her right of dower. Acknowledged by Francis and Margret his wife, 14 Apr. 1746.
Beginning at three hickories on the south side of the said Creek; thence north 4 degrees east 70 poles to a white oak; thence south 84 degees east 190 poles to a Spanish oak and a hickory; thence north 6 degrees east 60 poles to two white oaks and a hickory; thence south 84 degrees east 130 poles to three white oaks and a hickory; thence south 60 degrees east 93 poles to three white oaks and a hickory; thence south 56 degrees east 36 poles to two white oaks and a black oak; thence south 14 degrees west 192 poles; thence south 82 degrees west 420 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Samuel Norwood sold this to John Gilmore, 21 November 1746, 500 acres, formerly Francis McCowns, both sides of Tee's Creek (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:220).
Tee's Creek is present day Kerr's Creek or what was called the North River and today Maury River. See Borden Map, Gilmore's are next to McCown.


10/11 April 1746. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 1:47-50.

Francis McCewn (McCune, McCown), yeoman, to Hugh Martin, yeoman, for 5 shillings; 15 pounds current money of Virginia, 227 acres, part of a 728 acre tract on Tee's Creek, patented 13 August 1743. Witnesses: J. Buchanan, Henry Downs, Jr., John Hawkins. Acknowledged 14 April 1746, when Margret, wife of Francis relinguished her right of dower.
Beginning at two locusts in Mr. Burdens patentt line thence with said line north 40 degrees east 200 poles to two black oaks; thence north 54 degrees west 230 poles to two white oaks and a black oak; thence south 14 degrees west 192 poles south 75 degrees east 16 poles to two white oaks and a Spanish Oak south 46 degrees west 7 poles to two hickories and a white oak; thence south 50 degrees east 148 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis bought this land on 21/29 February 1751 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 3:103-107. Tee's Creek is present day Kerr's Creek, northwest of Lexington, Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


18/19 April 1746. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 1:90-94.

Francis McCowen, farmer, to William Bell, farmer, for 5 shillings; 55 pounds current money Virginia; 196 1/2 acres in Beverley Mannor, on a branch of Lewis Creek; Seth Poag's line; John Lewis' line. Witnesses: Jno. Buchanan, Joseph Culton, Silas Hart, James Trimble. Margret, wife of Francis McCown was unable to travel to County Court. John Anderson, Andrew Pickens and Richard Woods, Gent. of Augusta Co., Va. went to the house of Francis to examine Margret to have her relinquish her right of dower on 6 April 1746. Acknowledged 18 June 1746. Francis (his mark) McCown.
Beginning at a white oak and hickory saplings in Seth Poages line running thence south east by east 180 poles along John Lewis' line to his corner red oak; thence north east by north 138 poles to a hickory and two white oaks; thence north west by west 120 poles to two white oaks; thence north east and by north 164 poles to a stake and small sapling; thence north west by west 60 poles to two hickories and white oak saplings in Seth Poages line; thence along his line south west by west 302 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis bought this 5/6 June 1739 (Orange Co., Va. Deed 3:261-264). See Beverley Patent map. Lewis Creek runs northeast and southwest through Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia.


20/28 November 1749. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 2:320-322.

Francis McCown, yeoman, to Andrew Steele, yeoman, 10 1/2 acres, 38 poles, part of 328 from Benjamin Borden, 19 June 1746, on Kennedy's Creek, for 3 pounds. Teste: John Smith, Alexander Gipson, James McCown. Acknowledged 29 Nov. 1749 by Francis McCown.
Beginning at Kennedys Creek then north 75 degrees 78 poles to a stake the north 38 degrees west 38 poles to said Creek then down the several courses to the beginning.
Notes: Francis bought this land 19 June 1746 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:120-122). See the Borden map. Kennedy Creek is south of Staunton, Augusta Co., Virginia.


7/8 February 1753. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 5:553-556.

Francis McCown to Robert Hamilton, late of Augusta, 227 acres, for 112 pounds current money of Virginia. Part of 728 acres patented to Francis in 1743, on Tee's Creek, corner to Robert Erwin. Teste: John Poage, John Hogshead, Samuel Crawford. Acknowledged by Francis McCown 20 Mar 1754. Delivered to Jno. Hamilton 17 Oct 1786.
Beginning at a locust in Mr. Bordens patent line, corner to Robert Erwin's land, running with this Borden line north 40 degrees east 200 poles to two small black oaks; thence north 54 degrees west 230 poles to two white oaks and a black oak; thence south 14 degrees east 200 poles to two small black oaks; thence north 5 degrees east 16 poles to two white oaks and a Spanish oak; thence south 46 degrees west 7 poles to two hickoreys and a white oak corner to the said Erwin's land; thence with his line south 50 degrees east 148 poles to the beginning.
Notes: This land was sold 10/11 April 1746 to Hugh Martin (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:47-50), repurchased 21 Feb. 1751 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 3:103-107). Tee's Creek is present day Kerr's Creek, northwest of Lexington in central Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


25/26 November 1755. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 7:400-402.

Francis McCowen and Margret to John Maxwell, 250 acres on a branch of Cedar Creek, a branch of the James River, at a place called the Timber Plain, for 5 shillings; 65 pounds current money of Virginia; corner to John Poage, Sr. land and Francis McCown. Teste: Hugh McConwell, Robert Renick, James Trimble. Proven 16 March 1757. Delivered to Wm. McGee, May 1764.
Beginning at a hickory corner to John Poage's land on the east side of a branch and running thence north 40 degrees east 80 poles to a elm hickory and walnut by a Branch; thence south 50 degrees east 60 poles to two locusts thence north 40 degrees east crossing a branch 190 poles to two white oaks corner to Francis McCowen; then with his line south 44 degrees east 154 poles to a Spanish Oak, corner to said Francis McCowen; then south 25 degrees west 30 poles to a black oak; 55 degrees west 84 poles to two hickories then south 40 degrees west 120 poles to a hickory and white oak; thence to and with John Poage's line north 50 degrees west 202 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis bought 300 acres which included this on 25/26 November 1751 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 4:1-5). This area today is near the Natural Bridge in Rockbridge Co., Virginia.


15/16 November 1757. Augusta Co., Virginia. Deed 7:482-485.

Francis McCown and Margret to Andrew Duncan, for 5 shillings; for 140 pounds, 317 acres conveyed to Francis by Benj. Jr. on the south side of Moffet's Creek. Corner to Joseph Kennedy's land, Samuel Steel's land, Wilson's corner. Teste: Saml. Huston, Robert Brown, Petter Wallace. Delivered to Wm. Edmondson, June 1758.
Beginning at a post on the south side of Moffets Creek and running North 77 degrees East 164 poles to a post by a white oak sapling then north 59 degrees East 100 poles to a black oak and red oak saplings on a hill then South 64 degrees East 40 poles to a black oak and a white oak corner to Joseph Kennedys land then with his line south 13 degrees west 146 poles to a double white oak corner to said Kennedy then south 40 degrees East 42 poles to a poplar and hickory on the Creek corner to Samuel Steels land then down the Creek (which is also Saml. Steels line) 90 poles thence with another of Samuel Steels lines south 77 degrees west 100 poles to three white oaks corner to said Steel then South 13 degrees East 10 poles to Wilsons Corner then south 77 degrees west 40 poles to a white oak and a black oak and a hickory sapling then North 26 degrees west 240 poles to the beginning.
Notes: Francis bought this as 328 acres 19 June 1746 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 1:120-122. He sold 10 1/2 acres 38 poles, 20/28 November 1749 (Augusta Co., Va. Deed 2:320). See Borden map. Moffet's Creek is southwest of Staunton, Virginia in Augusta Co., and also runs into Rockbridge County.