About Fort Seybert
Fort Seybert was located on the South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River. It was built within one hundred yards of a mill which had been erected at the edge of the river some years before Fort Seybert was built. The first owner of the land was John Patton, Jr., who purchased from Robert Green of Orange on the 5th of November, 1747, 210 acres of land "on the southernmost fork of the South Branch of the Potomack." This land had a "corner to Roger Dyer." In the Original Petitions filed in Augusta County for 1751-52 there is a petition for a road "from Widow Cobern's Mill, on the South Branch, to John Patton's Mill on the South Fork."
On May 21, 1755, John Patton, Jr., sold his land to Jacob Seybert. It is assumed that Jacob Seybert used the mill, and that the location of the Fort on his land may have been determined by its proximity to the mill.
Overview of Massacre at Fort Seybert, Augusta County, VA
On April 27th and 28th, 1758, Bemino, the renowned medicine man of the Delaware Indians during the French & Indian War (1754-1763), led the Delaware and Shawnee Indians against the British positions at Ft. Upper Tract and Ft. Seybert in what is now Eastern West Virginia (then Augusta County, Virginia). The Indians destroyed both forts and many soldiers and settlers in the vicinity were killed and captured. A few managed to escape. One account of the Massacre is at the following site: http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/settlement/fortseybert01.html
List of those Killed, or Abducted at Ft. Seybert
According to several sources (indicated below), the following persons were supposedly either killed or abducted by Indians in the "Ft. Seybert Massacre" on 28 April 1758 in Augusta (later Pendleton) County, Virginia (later West Virginia) :
Processioning List of 1755
Processioning List of 1755:
The "Processioning List" of 1755 in Augusta County, the year before the attack, mentions many of the families and unfortunate victims that were living in the vicinity of Ft. Seybert: