To create a GEDCOM file using Family Tree Maker, choose Export File from the File menu.
It is very important that you change Save as type to GEDCOM when saving the file, as this is not the default setting for export file type on Family Tree Maker.
Text Instructions for FTM version 8
Instructions for version 8 of FTM.
- From the File menu, choose Copy/Export Family File.
- In the Save In drop-down list of the New Family File window, select the drive where you want to place the file.
- Double-click on the folder (if there is one) in which you want to place your file.
- In the Save as Type drop-down list, select GEDCOM (*.GED).
- In the File Name text box, type a name for the file or accept the suggested name.
- Click on the Save button. The Export to GEDCOM dialog box appears. The Export to GEDCOM dialog box shows File Type options. The Destination drop-down list selections allow Family Tree Maker to check for requirements of the program that will read the GEDCOM file.
- In the Destination drop-down list, select the type of export file that best meets your requirements (or the software your cousin uses). If the program to which you are exporting is not listed, choose PAF. When you make a selection in the Destination drop-down list, Family Tree Maker makes suggestions for the GEDCOM and Character Set Selections. You can override these if you need to. It is best to select Version 5.5. in the GEDCOM drop-down list when possible because it offers the best export. When you do not know what the file type to use or when you are exporting to PAV version 2.31 or earlier, select Version 4. [Gemwood, gedcom 5.5 should be fine for uploading to WeRelate].
- Choose from the other options in the Export to GEDCOM dialog box if they are available for the file type you select:
- Indent Records. Select this option to make a file more readable in a word processor. However, some programs cannot read indented records, so you may want to think twice about using Indent Records.
- Abbreviate Tags. Most programs use abbreviated tags (labels for fields of information in the GEDCOM file), so it is usually best to select this check box.
- After selecting your choices for the options in the Export to GEDCOM dialog box, click on OK. The GEDCOM file is created. YOu can find it in the folder you selected in Step 3.