Facts and Events
Family Group No. 30. This information obtained from family bible: R. C. Snyder (Margaret), Rock Island IL. Census 1860 & 1900; Death records Rock Island Courthouse, Cem. records Rock Island Chippiannock & R. I. Argus 1893 death notice: Compiler: J. Bentley, Gladstone Oregon, dated 8/23/1983. [Entered by Wilma T.]
- Father's full name was Nicholas Imhof, b. 27 Dec 1826 in Switzerland, d. 26 May 1893 in Rock Island IL., Chippiannock Cemetery, Rock Island IL. Places of Residence: Switzerland, New York, N.Y. & Rock Island Ill. His occupation was listed as Stone Mason.
- Mother's name was Madeline (Martha) Lena [Bleuer], b. @1826 in Switzerland and d. @1874 in Rock Island Co. IL. Burial in Chippiannock Cemetery.
Their children are listed as the following:
- Anna (Lizzie) Elizabeth Imhoff, b. @1849 in Switzerland and d. 25 Oct. 1873 at the age of 24 years. Buried in Chippiannock Cem.
- Second child was Nicholas Jr. that married Susan. Nicholas was b. Oct. 1851 in Switzerland, m. 1874 and d. 17 Feb. 1916 in Rock Island & buried in Chippiannock Cem. Susan was b. May 1858 & d. 1923, she was b. in Ireland.
- The third child was Rose Imhoff and she m. Andrew Etzel. Rose was b. 12 Oct 1852 in New York, N.Y., m. 4 Feb 1874 in Rock Island and d. 2 May 1930 & is buried in Memorial Cemetery in Rock Island, IL.
- The fourth child is John Imhof and he m. Christine. John was b. @1858 in Rock Island, m. 1882, and d. 28 June 1930 & is buried in Chippiannock Cem. Christine was b. @1861 & d. 18 Aug 1943.
- The fifth child was Mary & she m. Charles Bysinger. Mary was b. @1860 in Rock Island Co. IL, m. 1881 and death unknown.
- The sixth child was Jacob & he m. Anna. Jacob was b. @1862 in Rock Island Co., m. 1891 & d. 9 May 1940 & is buried in Chippiannock Cemetery. Anna was b. @1871 & d. 16 Sep 1938.
- The seventh child was William and he was b. 1867 in Rock Island & d. 23 Feb. 1899 in Rock Island & is buried in Chippiannock Cem.
- The eighth child was Minnie, b. 1865, m. 1882 to Ferdinal Holdorf;
- the ninth child was Lena, b. 1868, m. 1888 to Thomas Lynch
- and the tenth child was Rachael b. 1870 & m. 1890 to George Young.
[There are no death dates listed for the last three children.]
They had at least 10 children. Most of them are buried in Rock Island IL, Chippiannoch Cemetery. Lots 181, 1217, and 411 are resting places for some of the children. Their names are: Anna, Nicholas, Rose, John, Mary, Lena, Jacob, Minnie, William and Rachel.
- ↑ Terwilliger, Wilma. McLuen Family Notes.
Parents of Nicholas were Nicholas Imhoff Sr. b. 12/27/1823 in Wadenswil Switzerland (near Lake Zurich). He married Magdalena (Lena) Bleuer in 1848 in Switzerland. She was born in 1826. Nicholas Sr. d. 5/26/1893 in Rock Island IL and is buried in the Chippiannoch cemetery. Lena d. 11/15/1874 and is buried in Chippiannoch cemetery in Rock Island. They sailed from LeHavre and arrived in NYC in 1851 or 1852. From NYC they moved to Tonawanda NY (near Buffalo) where they stayed for two or three years. In 1854 they moved west to Rock Island IL. They had at least 10 children with the oldest two Anna Elizabeth and Nicholas [that married Susan McLuen] born in Switzerland. Their third child, Rose, was born in Tonawanda NY, b. 12 Oct 1852, m. 4 Feb. 1874 & d. 2 May 1930 in Rock Island & she m. Andrew Etzel and the other children, John, b. 1858, d. 1930, Mary, b. 1860, d. 1931 Lena, b. 1868 d. 1888, Jacob, b. 1861, d. 1940, Minnie, b. 1865, d. 1882, William, b. 1867, d. 1899 and Rachel were born in Rock Island IL. in 1869 & d. 1932, m. George Young.
- United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule.
Year: 1860; Census Place: Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois; Roll M653_222; Page: 408; Image: 408; Family History Library Film: 803222; Family 1139.
Imhoff Nicholas 34 abt 1826 Male Switzerland
Imhoff Madeline 34 abt 1826 Female Switzerland
Imhoff Ann Eliza 11 abt 1849 Female Switzerland
Imhoff Nicholas 10 abt 1850 Male Switzerland
Imhoff Rosa 8 abt 1852 Female New York
Imhoff John 2 abt 1858 Male Illinois
Imhoff Mary 5/12 abt 1860 Female Illinois
Firsten Peter 24 abt 1836 Male Baden
- United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule.
Year: 1870; Census Place: Rock Island Ward 1, Rock Island, Illinois; Roll M593_273; Page: 304A; Image: 612; Family History Library Film: 545772; Family 425.
Imhoff Nicholas 45 Nicholas Imhoff abt 1825 Male White Switzerland
Imhoff Madeline 43 Madeline Imhoff abt 1827 Female White Switzerland
Imhoff Rosa 17 Rosa Imhoff abt 1853 Female White New York
Imhoff John 13 John Imhoff abt 1857 Male White Illinois
Imhoff Mary 10 Mary Imhoff abt 1860 Female White Illinois
Imhoff Lena 7 Lena Imhoff abt 1863 Female White Illinois
Imhoff Jacob 8 Jacob Imhoff abt 1862 Male White Illinois
Imhoff Minna 5 Minna Imhoff abt 1865 Female White Illinois
Imhoff Willie 3 Willie Imhoff abt 1867 Male White Illinois
Imhoff Rachel 1 Rachel Imhoff abt 1869 Female White Illinois
- United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule.
Year: 1880; Census Place: Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois; Roll T9_246; Family History Film: 1254246; Page: 484.3000; Enumeration District: 252; Image: 0212.
Imhoff Nicholas White Male 51 abt 1829 Head Married Indiana Indiana Indiana
Imhoff John White Male 21 abt 1859 Son Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff Mary White Female 19 abt 1861 Daughter Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff Jacob White Male 18 abt 1862 Son Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff Lena White Female 17 abt 1863 Daughter Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff Minnie White Female 16 abt 1864 Daughter Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff William White Male 12 abt 1868 Son Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
Imhoff Rachel White Female 10 abt 1870 Daughter Single Illinois Switzerland Switzerland
- All Imhofs of record in Chippiannock. There are two children buried #3594 John Imhof born in Rock Island Age 3 years Died December 3, 1890 interred in lot 411 [which is the same as Elizabeth and Nicholas Sr.] [He was born in 1882--pencil notation] The second child was #4425 Wm Imhof born in Rock Island Age 6 years Died December 3, 1890 Interred in lot 411. [b 1884--pencil notation] [These children are probably grandchildren of Nicholas Sr.]
Private Lot 411 purchased by Nicholas Imhoff Nov 19, 1874 was 10' x 20' (6 graves) price $25.00
#4862 Nicholas Imhof Sr born in Switzerland Dec 27, 1823 died May 26 1843 Interred in Lot 411 Resident of R.I.
Help fund new features!