m. Bef. 1712 Prob. Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland
Facts and Events
Descendants of Halbert McClure
1. HALBERT2 MCCLURE (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1690 in Prob. County, Donegal, Ireland, and died 15 May 1754 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. He married AGNES ELIZABETH MCTAVISH Bef. 1712 in Prob. Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland. She was born WFT Est. 1690-1693 in prob. Ireland.
Notes for HALBERT MCCLURE: From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
AUGUST 17, 1748. (49) Halbert McClure (by Halbert McClure), an orphan boy not above eleven years, to be stricken off the list of tithables.
MARCH 23, 1753. Halberd McClure's will, gentleman -- Wife, Agnes; brother John's son Halberd; sons; son Alexander, son Nathaniel, executors. Teste: Baptist McNabb, Jno. Davidson, Saml. Lyle. Proved 16th May, 1754, by Davidson and Lyle, and executors qualify.
488. Halbert McClure, born Abt. 1692 in Raphoe, County Donegal, Ireland; died May 1754 in Rockbridge Co., VA. He was the son of 976. Arthur McClure (note, this conflicts with other information) . He married 489. Agnes.
489. Agnes, born Abt. 1696 in Botetorte Co., VA.
Children of Halbert McClure and Agnes are: 244 i. Nathaniel McClure, born Abt. 1712 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1761 in Virginia; married Mary. ii. Alexander McClure, born Abt. 1717 in Botetorte Co., VA; died 1761 in Virginia. iii. Hannah McClure, born Abt. 1719 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1779. iv. Moses McClure, born Abt. 1720 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1778. v. Samuel McClure, born Abt. 1723 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1779. vi. John McClure, born Abt. 1725 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1777.
244. Nathaniel McClure, born Abt. 1712 in Botetorte Co., VA; died Abt. 1761 in Virginia. He was the son of 488. Halbert McClure and 489. Agnes. He married 245. Mary.
245. Mary, born Abt. 1716 in Botetorte Co., VA.
Children of Nathaniel McClure and Mary are: 122 i. Nathaniel McClure, born 1745 in Augusta Co., VA; died 1793 in Washington Co., VA; married Dorcus Cole 1782 in Washington Co., VA. ii. Mary McClure, born March 02, 1746/47 in Virginia. iii. Alexander McClure, born March 10, 1748/49 in Virginia; died Abt. 1765. iv. Hannah McClure, born March 02, 1750/51 in Virginia. v. Thomas McClure, born Abt. 1753 in Virginia. vi. Margaret McClure, born 1756 in Virginia. vii. Dorthy McClure, born Abt. 1758 in Virginia. viii. Moses McClure, born Abt. 1760 in Mecklenburg, NC; died June 30, 1810 in Harrison Co., KY.
Notes for NATHANIEL MCCLURE: From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
AUGUST 20, 1766. (206) Saml. McClure, security for Mary McClure, admx. of husband, Nathaniel McClure, asks counter security.
MARCH 15, 1768 (497) Haibert McClure appointed guardian to Margaret McClure, aged 11 years, and Moses McClure, aged 8 years, orphans of Nathaniel McClure, deceased.
AUGUST, 1768 (C). McClure vs. McClure.--Ejectment. James McClure and Nathaniel McClure, sons and devisees of Nathaniel McClure, vs. Halbert McClure. (504) Thomas Dryden appointed guardian to Margaret McClure, infant orphan of Nathaniel McClure. (505) Order of yesterday appointing Halbert McClure guardian of Moses and Margaret McClure is set aside, and Saml. McClure is appointed guardian to Moses.
MAY, 1771 (B).
Halbert McClure vs. Nathaniel McClure and James McClure.--Bill filed
March 1769. Nathaniel McClure, father of orator, left by will plantation to James and Nathaniel McClure, his sons. Halbert was also a son(?). Widow was Mary. James McClure went to Georgia(?). Nathaniel McClure's Sr., effects were set up at auction, at which time Nathaniel, Jr., was under age and James was of age.
Notes for MARY ???: From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
Page 57 - - 10th September, 1767. Mary McClure's (mark) will - - to son, Thomas, for his schooling; to son; Moses for his schooling; to daughter Margaret, for her schooling; to son, James, 5 schillings. Executors Joseph Walker and Saml. Lyle. Teste: James McDowell, Saml. McDowell, Alex. McCluer. Proved, 17th November, 1767, by James and Saml. McDowell. Executors refuse. Administration granted Halbert McClure, who qualifies with Saml. (mark) and John (mark) McClure.
Notes for SAMUEL MCCLURE: http://www.bobweis.com/McClureFamilytree1.html
4. SAMUEL3 MCCLURE (HALBERT2, JAMES ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1709 in Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland, and died 13 Mar 1779 in Rockbridge Co, VA. He married MARY KELSO Abt. 1736 in County Donegal, Ireland. She was born 1711 in Ireland, and died in VA. Children of SAMUEL MCCLURE and MARY KELSO are: i. Samuel4 McClure, b. Abt. 1737, Orange County, VA. 14. ii. William McClure, b. Abt. 1739, Orange County, VA; d. 1785, Rockbridge Co, VA. 15. iii. Elizabeth McClure, b. 1742, Augusta Co., VA. iv. Anne McClure, b. Abt. 1743, Augusta Co., VA. 16. v. Hannah McClure, b. Abt. 1745, Augusta Co, VA; d. Bef. 1790, Botetourt County, VA. 17. vi. Mary McClure, b. Abt. 1747, Augusta County., VA. 18. vii. Jean McClure, b. Abt. 1749, Augusta Co., VA; d. KY. viii. Agnes McClure, b. Abt. 1751, Augusta Co., VA; m. James Campbell; b. Abt. 1751. ix. Alexander Trimble McClure, b. Abt. 1759, Augusta Co., VA; d. Abt. 1816.
Notes for ALEXANDER MCCLURE: http://www.bobweis.com/McClureFamilytree1.html
Generation No. 1
i. James4 McClure, b. Abt. 1754, Augusta County, VA.
ii. Halbert McClure, b. Abt. 1756, Augusta County, VA.
2. iii . Samuel McClure, b. Abt. 1760, Augusta County, VA.
3. v. Alexander4 McClure, b. 31 Oct 1774, Rockbridge Co, VA; d. 09 May 1843, Grant Co, KY.
vii. Martha McClure, b. Abt. 1779, Rockbridge County, VA; m. John Jamison, 27 Feb 1800, Rockbridge County, VA; b. Abt. 1770, Augusta County, VA.
viii. John McClure, b. Abt. 1781, Rockbridge County, VA; m. Ann McFall, 09 Apr 1801, Rockbridge County, VA.
Notes for HANNAH CATHERINE MCCLURE: From: Judith Allison Walters <email@example.com> To: firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com> Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 11:52 AM Subject: Allison
Notes for ROBERT ALLISON: From Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Court Records:
Page 232 - - 24th July, 1769. Robert (mark) Allison's will - - To son James, has received his part; to daughter Mary Davison, has received her part; to son John, 10 shillings; to daughter Agness; to son robert, infant, testator's home plantation; to son, Francis, infant, 250 acres on Mill Creek; to son, Halbert, received his part already; to wife Hannah; to daughter Janet. Teste: Alexander (mark) McClure, Arthur McClure, Joseph Walker, Joseph Walker, Jr. Proved, 15th August, 1769, by all except Joseph Walker, Jr. Hannah Allison, qualifies, with Alex. and John McCluer.
Re: Robert Allison, w/Hannah McClure, VA
Posted by Bill Parris (firstname.lastname@example.org) on August 02, 1998 at 09:29:03:
In Reply to: Robert Allison, w/Hannah McClure, VA posted by Tim Allison on July 30, 1998 at 15:35:02:
Robert Allison B: 1710 IN VA. D: 24-JUL-1769 M: HANNA MCCLURE: B:RAPHOE DONEGAL IRELAND. M: 1736. I have information on one son: Halbert Allison: B:1750 D: 14 sep 1813 in Wythe County VA. He Married: Nancy Agness: B:1753 M; 1774 D:2 apr 1816 in Wythe County.VA. I have information on one of Halbert and Nancy son. (James Allison)B: 3-may-1780. D: 2-nov-1845.James married Janet Craig:B:11-may 1779.M:9-feb-1801. D:12-feb-1841. they were married in Augusta County GA. This gives you a pretty good start and I have much more following up on James and Janet children. I am connected to this branch or the allison. My GGrandfather wss James allison and the son of James and Janet. I hope this helps you. It took me a long time to get this far.
Will of Robert Allison, 24 July 1769 Source: Augusta Co., VA, Will Bk. 4, Pg. 222 Contributor: Submitted by Janet Randall email@example.com
In the name of God, Amen the 24 Day of July 1769 I Robert Allison of the County of Agusta and Coloney of Virginia being sick and weak of Body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be to God therefore and calling to mind my mortalety knowing that is appointed for all men once to die Do make and ordain this my last will and testament and none else and first and princaply I Recommend my Soul to God that give it and my body to the Dust to be Decinlly Intered at the Discretion of my Executors and for Such worldly Estate whereof it has pleased God to give me. I Bequeath and Despose of the Same in manner and form folowing First I order that all my Debt and burial charges be payed by my Executors Imprimis: I give and bequeth to my son James ten shillings sterling he heveing received his part already. Item: I give and bequeth to my Daughter Mary Davison ten shillings sterling, she heveing received her part already Item: I give and bequeth to my Son John Allison ten shillings starling Item I will to my Daughter Agnes one horse veliable to ten pound and a sedal vialibale to six pounds Item I will and bequeth the plantation I live on to my Son Robart Allison his heirs or asigns Item I will the plantation on Mill Creek containing two hundred and fifty acres to my son Frances Allison his heirs or asigns Item I order and it is my will that if any of my two sons Robert or Frances hereto Die before they com to age that my Son Halbort shall have the land Item I give and bequeath to my son halbort alison ten shillings starling he heveing receved three horses and three cows alredy I order and it is my will that there be thre workhorses kept to laborr the plantation for the maintanance of the famaly till thy com to age and that after the formanshanad legacies are discharged the remainder of my movable Estate be Equally Devided amoungst wife hannah and my son Robert and my son Frances and my Daughter Janet Lastly I constute my wife hannah and my son halbert Executor of this my last will and Testmant
Robert (his mark) Allison
published and pronounced in the presance Alexander (his mark) McClure /Signed/ Arthur McCluer /Signed/ Joseph Walker Jr. /Signed/ Joseph Walker
At a Court held for Augusta County August the 15th 1769 This Last Will and Testament of Robert Allison deceased was proved by the Oaths of Alexander McClure Arthur McClure & Joseph Walker three of the witnesses thereto and ordered to be Recorded and on the motion of Hanna Allison & Halbert Allison who made oath according to Law Certificate for obtaining a probat thereof in due form they having with their Securitys entered into & Ack.d their bond According to law
Know all men by these presents that We Hannah Allison, Alexander McClure & John McClure are held and firmly bound unto John Christian, Israel Christan, James Trimble, Geo. Moffett Trustees in the commision of the Peace for Augusta County for and in behalf of the Justices of the said County in the sum of Two Hundred Pounds To be paid to the Justices & their successors to which payment well & truly to be made we bind ourselves & Each of us our & Every of our Heirs Executor & Administrators jointly and Siverally firmly by these presents sealed with our Seals & Dated this 15 day of August 1769
The Condition of this obligation is such that if the above bound Hannah Allison Executor of the Last will and Testament of Robert Allison Deceased do make or cause to be made a true & perfect inventory of all and Singular the Goods Chattles & Credits of the sd. Deceased which have or shall come to the hands or possesion of any other person or persons or her and the same so made do exhibit or cause to be Exhibited into the County Court of Augusta at such time as she shall be thereunto required by the said Court & the same Goods, Chattles & Credits and all other the goods Chattles and Credits of the said deceased at any time after shall come to the hands possession or knowledge of these sd. Hannah Allison or into the hands and possession of any other person or persons her do will & truly administer according to Law and further do make a just and true account of her acting and doings therein when thereto required by the said court and also Shall will and truly pay & deliver all Legacies Contained and Specified in the said Testament as far as the said Goods Chattles and Credits will extend and the law shall charge then this obligation to be void and of none effect or else to remain in full force & Virtue
Sealed and Delivered in the presence of Hannah (mark) Allison Alex.d (mark) McClure John (mark) McClure
At a court held for Augusta County August the 15th 1769 On the motion of Hannah Allison who made Oath According to Law Certificate is Granted her for obtaining a probat thereof in due form She having with Securities entered into & Acknowledged this there bond According to Law
Re: Robert Allison/Jannet Sprowl - NC Posted by: wade h allison Date: August 05, 2001 at 12:10:14 In Reply to: Re: Robert Allison/Jannet Sprowl - NC by Ellen Williams of 4206
robert allison married hannah McClure about 1736 robert allisonborn abt 1710 died rockbrige va 7\24/1769 hannah born abt 1725 died1761 auguest co va robert had two brouth james & john kids of robert allison &hanah mcclure catherine, james born abt 1749,halbert born abt 1750 died 9\ 1813 wythe co va , mary 1752 ,john 1753 ,agness 1756 ,robert 1758 ,janet 1759 ,frances 1760 any countion wade
Notes for MOSES MCCLURE:
1778. Moses McClure (wife Isabella Steele) deceased, intestate, 3 Nov 1778. Isabella and David McClure, eldest son of Moses, are named as administrators. McClure vs. McClure--O. S. 149; N. S. 51--David McClure in Rockbridge complains that his father died intestate in 1778. David is eldest son. Moses died suddenly. He left children, viz: David, Moses, Alexander, Halbert and Betsey, Susannah (since dead), Agnes, Isabelle, Rosanna.
1. MOSES3 MCCLURE (HALBERT2, JAMES ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1710 in Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland, and died 01 Dec 1778 in Lexington, Rockbridge Co, VA. He married ISABELLA STEELE 1745 in Augusta Co, VA, daughter of DAVID STEELE and JANET. She was born Abt. 1726 in Ireland, and died Abt. 1797 in Lexington, Rockbridge Co, VA.
2. i. LTC David4 McClure, Sr., b. 1747, Augusta Co, VA.
3. ii. Halbert McClure, b. Abt. 1750, Augusta Co, VA; d. 10 May 1829, Rockbridge Co, VA.
iii. Moses McClure, b. Abt. 1754, Rockbridge Co, VA.
4. iv. Agnes McClure, b. 1759, Rockbridge Co, VA; d. Aft. 1829.
5. v. Rosanna McClure, b. 1762, Rockbridge Co, VA.
vi. Susanna McClure, b. Abt. 1765, Rockbridge Co, VA.
6. vii. Isabella McClure, b. Abt. 1768, Rockbridge Co, VA.
viii. Elizabeth McClure, b. Abt. 1770, Rockbridge Co, VA.
7. ix. Alexander McClure, b. Abt. 1771, Augusta County, VA; d. 1840, Union County, KY.
The next summer, on August 21, 1749, Borden sold another tract in his grant – to Moses McClure; it was 380 acres for which McClure paid two pounds. The deed describes it as being intersected by the South River and lying on “Water Run,” a branch of Mill Creek. About this time, probably a few years before, John, Halbet, and Nathaniel McClure, all sons of James McClure – the name had many forms since the days in Scotland when it was McLure – settled in the Timber Ridge community, now in Rockbridge County. Their names appear on the call of TimberRidge Presbyterian Church for the pastoral service of the Rev. John Brown, in 1753. The Moses McClure, who bought the tract of land on South River in 1749, was a a son of Halbert McClure and is mentioned in his father’s will which was probated, May 15, 1754.
Notes for JOHN MCCLURE, SR.:
9. JOHN3 MCCLURE, SR (HALBERT2, JAMES ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1725 in Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland, and died 1777 in Botetourt Co, VA. He married (1) MARY MALCOLM Abt. 1746 in Augusta Co, VA. She died Abt. 1756 in Augusta Co, VA. He married (2) MARY ALLEN Abt. 1757 in Augusta County, VA, daughter of MALCOLM ALLEN and MARY CUNNINGHAM. She was born 10 Nov 1741 in Augusta Co, VA, and died 1807 in Scott County, KY. Notes for MARY ALLEN: Will published 1804 in Scott County, KY. Names children: Hannah Worley, Halbert C. McClure, Nathanial McClure, Moses McClure and son-in-law, Thomas Anderson. More About MARY ALLEN: Will: 1807, Executed by Scott County September Court Children of JOHN MCCLURE and MARY MALCOLM are: 35. i. Samuel4 McClure, Sr, b. 03 Aug 1748, Augusta Co, VA; d. 29 Dec 1815, Busseron Twp, Knox Co, IN. 36. ii. Alexander McClure, b. Abt. 1752, Augusta Co, VA; d. 1801, Mercer Co, KY. 37. iii. Janet McClure, b. 1753, Augusta Co, VA; d. Aft. 1818, Scott County, KY. iv. Mary McClure, b. Abt. 1754, Augusta Co, VA. 38. v. Ann McClure, b. 1756, Augusta County, Virginia; d. 05 Dec 1835, Springhill, Decatur County, IN. Children of JOHN MCCLURE and MARY ALLEN are: vi. Agnes4 McClure, b. 1758, Augusta County, VA; d. 1795. 39. vii. John McClure, Jr., b. 15 Apr 1760, Augusta County, VA; d. 24 May 1856, Habersham County, GA. 40. viii. Malcolm McClure, b. 1762, Augusta Co, VA; d. 02 May 1791, Botetourt Co, VA. 41. ix. Hannah McClure, b. Abt. 1764, Augusta Co, VA; d. Aft. 21 Apr 1832, KY. 42. x. Rebekah McClure, b. 1766, Augusta Co, VA; d. Abt. 1839, Boone County, KY. 43. xi. Halbert C McClure, b. 1770, Botetourt Co, VA. 44. xii. Nathaniel McClure, b. 04 Feb 1774, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 18 Jan 1848, Boone Co, KY. 45. xiii. Moses McClure, Sr., b. 15 Sep 1775, Botetourt Co, VA; d. 19 Mar 1844, Boone County, KY.
Notes for MARY ALLEN:
3. MARY ALLEN (MALCOM1) was born November 10, 1741. She married JOHN MCCLURE2 Abt. 1755 in Augusta Co., VA. He was born 1725 in Raphoe Parish, County Donegal, Ireland, and died Bet. 1777 - 1778 in Botetourt Co., VA.
Notes for MARY ALLEN:
Malcolm Allen's will names daughter Mary. Mary, daughter of Malcolm Allen, married John McClure.
Sources: Bk. A, pg. 311-312 Virkus' Compendium of American Genealogy, 5:295.
Notes for JOHN MCCLURE:
Rockbridge/Boteourt Co., Biography, bef. 1778:
bef 1778: John McClure (1725 Rockbridge Co-1778 Botetourt Co) married (2) Mary Allen, daughter of Malcolm Allen.
Source:Virkus' Compendium of American Genealogy, 5:295.
Source: Botetourt Co, Court Order Bk., Botetourt Co. History Before 1800, pg. 42.
Marriage Mary ALLEN b: 10 NOV 1741
John McClure married (2) Mary Allen, daughter of Malcolm. [Note: this is consistent with Botetourt Co. Records before 1800, pg 42: Malcolm and Hannah McClure chose Malcolm Allen their guardian, 12 March 1778].
Source: Virkus’ Compendium of American Genealogy Page: Vol. 5, pg. 295
Children of MARY ALLEN and JOHN MCCLURE are:
i. MALCOLM MCCLURE, b. 1762.
12 March 1778: Botetourt Co, Court Order Bk. [Botetourt Co. History Before 1800, pg. 42]:
Malcolm and Hannah McClure choose Malcolm Allen their guardian.
Sources: Botetourt Co. History Before 1800, J. William and Rebecca Austin, III; Publication: Botetourt Co. American Bicentennial Commission, abt 1982, Page: pg 42
ii. HANNAH MCCLURE, b. 1764; m. DAVID M. WORLEY; b. December 15, 1760, Sudsbury, Lancaster Co, PA; d. Probably Mercer Co, KY.
Notes for HANNAH MCCLURE:
Hannah McClure and David Worley, children of sisters Mary Allen McClure and Rebecca Allen Worley, married abt. 1784.
Source: BOTETOURT CO., Biography, 1784.
Sources: Botetourt Co, Court Order Bk. Botetourt Co; History Before 1800, pg. 42.
i. AGNES MCCLURE, b. 1758.
ii. JOHN C. MCCLURE, b. 1760.
Probably the John McClure that was an appraiser for the estate of Hugh Allen.
v. JANE T. MCCLURE, b. 1760.
vi. REBEKAH MCCLURE, b. 1768.
vii. HALBERT C. MCCLURE, b. 1770.
viii. MOSES MCCLURE, b. 1772.
ix. NATHANIEL MCCLURE, b. 1774, Botetourt County, VA; d. January 18, 1848, Boone Co., KY; m. MARY JANE PORTER; b. September 17, 1773, Rockbridge Co., VA.