m. 2 Dec 1858 Lawrence Co, PA
Facts and Events
1860 Union Twp, Lawrence Co, PA PO New Castle, 5 June 1860 Series M653 Roll 1127 p489 h/h 54/52 Patteson, Dav C 28 PA carpenter E J 22 PA CA 8/12 (m) PA
1870 Union Twp, Lawrence Co, PA p313 h/h 265/265 Patterson, David C 37 carpenter PA Lizzie J 28 PA Charles A 10 PA
1880 Union, Lawrence, Pennsylvania; Roll: T9_1145; Family History Film: 1255145; Page: 315.1000; Enumeration District: 227; Image: 0060, h/h 381/383 Pattison, David C 47 carpenter PA-Scot-Scot Elizabeth J wife 41 PA-Ire-PA Charles A 20 son single PA-PA-PA Boggs, Maggie M 15 adopted dau PA-PA-PA William 12 adopted son PA-PA-PA
David and Lizzie Pattison had adopted Maggie M. and William Boggs, the children of Mary Pattison (David's sister) and Robert Boggs. David C. Pattison was a carpenter. In 1908 Mrs. D. C. Pattison was a deacon of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. They lived on Youngstown Road in New Castle, PA.
1900 Union, Lawrence, Pennsylvania; Roll: T623 1427; Page: 21A; Enumeration District: 123, h/h 403/422 Pattison, David C Jan 1832 (68) m42Y 1/1 ch PA-Scot-Scot carpenter Elizabeth J wife Aug 1838 (61) PA-Ire-PA Love, Nancy C sis-in-law Apr 1845 (55) single PA-Ire-PA
History of Lawrence County Pennsylvania, 1770 - 1877, by S.W. and P.A. Durant
REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN. The Reformed Presbyterian Church of New Castle was organized in February, 1871, with forty-one members. The three original elders were David C. Pattison, Robert Speer and David Pattison. The first deacon was David McClelland. Among the prominent members were Alexander Stewart, Wm. S. Pattison, John Davis, John Mayne, William Boyd, John Elliott, R. D. Pattison, Mrs. E. J. Pattison, Mrs. Nellie Speer, Mrs. M. Kerr, Mrs. Nancy Davis, Mrs. Jane Pattison, Mrs. Maggie Pattison, Mrs. Matilda Davis, Mrs. Jane Stevenson, Mrs. Mary McClelland, Miss Maggie Love, Mrs. Mary R. Speer. The first pastor, Rev. S. J. Crowe, was called on the 18th of September, 1871, and ordained and installed on the 22d of May, 1872, and has continued to the present time to discharge the responsible duties of his position to the satisfaction and edification of his charge.
The first preacher of this denomination in this region was the Rev. James Blackwood, father of Dr. T. J. Blackwood, now a resident of New Castle. Mr. Blackwood served some ten or twelve congregations in Beaver and Mercer counties previous to the organization of Lawrence county, in 1849. He died in 1851. Rev. Thomas Hanney succeeded Rev. Mr. Blackwood, and continued until 1860-1, when he was succeeded by Rev. John Calvin Smith, who officiated for the New Castle society until the organization of the church in 1871. The New Castle and Slippery Rock churches constituted one charge until 1871.
A church was erected by the society in 1861, before the organization. Since 1872 the membership has largely increased. The present organization includes seven elders: David C. Pattison, Robert Speer, David Pattison, William Boyd, Dr. T. J. Blackwood, P. A. Mayne and Robert McKnight. Deacons: David McClelland, John M. English, Alexander Stewart, J. R. Dodds, William McKnight. The present membership is one hundred and forty-seven. The society supports three flourishing Sabbath-schools with thirty officers and teachers, and about three hundred scholars. During Rev. Mr. Crowe's pastorate there has been continuous and increasing interest manifested by the members in Christian work. This is emphatically the "poor man's" church, and literally the "poor have the Gospel preached to them." In addition to this charge the pastor also preaches, as opportunity offers, in the school-houses in the various parts of the county.