Facts and Events
The letter of granddaughter Loretta Hyde Strole states that
- Her mother’s people (Mary Rinke Hyde) came from (sic) They lived in Heilgenstadt then Kaltenburg Prussia near Rastenburg). Neu Rosenthal (this is now Ketrzyn, Masowiecki, Poland) this was just south of Konigsberg (which is now Koliningrad, Soviet Union (now Russia)). Rastenburg is in the Masurian Lakes region 40 miles ENE of Allenstein (Olsztyn). After WWII when it was 50% destroyed all the German population left.
- They landed in Detroit in Dec of 1861. Her father’s name was Carl Rinke. Her mothers name was Helena Brant before she was married. Carl and Helena Rinke. She had 5 brothers and 2 sisters. (Margin note from Madeline – “I’m note sure if she means Helena had 5 brothers and sisters or if Carl and Helena had 8 children including Mary).
- Mother (Mary Rinke Hyde) was born in Detroit and married my dad. Mary Rinke and Charles Hyde. They had 7 children. Henry Hyde your dad, Clara Hyde died at 10 years old, and Anna, Charles, (margin note from Madeline says “twins”), died in infancy, Irma, Loretta, (Frances Lucky).
Helena’s census record says that she was born in Germany and came to the United States when she sixteen. She married Franz Schulte three years later in 1858 and had three children. Franz died in his late twenties and left her a widow. Three years after the birth of her son John Schulte, Helena married twenty-four year old Charles, five years younger than she. Helena was 30, with three children aged 8, 5, and 3. Charles was 24 when he took on the responsibility for the family.
Charles and Helena raised seven children of their own in addition to the three Schulte children. In 1890 a Detroit city directory listed their address as 841 MacDougall Ave.S5 This is down by the river just upriver from downtown Detroit. Charles was listed as a Carpenter in both the 1880 census and the city directory.
- ↑ Loretta Hyde Strole. Loretta Hyde Strole Letter. (Letter, April 4, 1979), 1979, Primary quality.
Loretta Hyde Strole Letter
- ↑ Michigan Marriages, 1851-75: Rinke; Brant-Schulte Marriage Data. (Compiled Database), 1904, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1880 US Federal Census: Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, 1880, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1900 US Federal Population Census: Detroit Ward 9, Wayne County, Michigan, 1900, Primary quality.
- 1890 Detroit Michigan Directory: Charles Rinke Entry. (Compiled Database), 1890, Primary quality.