- Rootsweb citing Rockbridge County News, 20 December -27 December 1894, and Waddell's Annals
[Rockbridge County News, 20 December -27 December 1894.]
It is not certainly known when Falling Springs church was organized,
nor by whom. A church of the same name, situated in Pennsylvania was
organized in 1738, one year after the first settlement in the Borden
grant by the McDowell family. The Rev. John Blair, then living in
Cumberland county, Pa., visited Augusta county, of which Rockbridge was
then a part, in 1746, and organized the churches of North Mountain, New
Providence, Timber Ridge and the Forks of James (or Monmouth) and
perhaps others. At the meeting of the Synod of New York, May 1747, the
Rev. Eliab Byram was appointed to go to Virginia in September next,
and spend some time in the new settlements. This he did, as the record
of the next meeting of the synod (May 1748) states that Mr. Byram
fulfilled his appointment in going to Virginia.
At this latter meeting of synod the following entry is found in the
records: A call was brought into the synod from Falling Spring and New
Providence, to be presented to Mr. Byram, the acceptance of which he
declined. At this same meeting of Synod a call from Timber Ridge and
Forks of James was presented for the Rev. Mr. Dean, which was
It may be interesting to note here what is known of the Rev. Eliab
Byram. He was born in Bridgewater, Mass., and graduated at Harvard
university in 1740. He became the pastor of a church in New Jersey in
1743, and after declining the call to Falling Spring and New Providence
became a member of New Brunswick Presbytery, New York, and pastor of
Amwell church, where he died in May 1754.
So it will be seen that the church organization existed as early as
||This diagram needs to be modified show the location of Falling Springs MH. |
It was located at Buffalo Forge, a few miles to the south of Borden's Grant, in the Natural Bridge area.
- Source:Chalkley's Chronicles1:38
MAY 20, 1748.... (20) Certified that Presbyterian meeting houses have been built at Timber Ridge, at New Providence, and Falling Spring.
- Rootsweb citing Waddell's Annals
In Waddells Annals of Augusta county, the following extracts from the
records of the Augusta county court for May 20th, 1748, is given:
On the motion of Matthew Lyle one ordered to be certified that they
have built a Presbyterian meeting house at a place known by the name of
Timber Ridge, another at New Providence, and another at a place known by
the name of Falling Spring.