From Summers, 1903:103-104
The first settlers of the Liberty Hall neighborhood were the Edmistons, Moores and Buchanans. The first name was written " Edmiston" until sixty or seventy years ago. All the land from Liberty Hall to some distance east of Friendship was held by William Edmiston under a grant from Charles II, King of Eng- land, and under the King's proclamation of 1763, Edmiston being an officer in the French-Indian war of 1754-1763.
Fort Edmiston was built by the settlers as a protection against the Indians, who made frequent inroads on the settlements. As nearly as can be learned, it was built about 1765.
The site was about three hundred yards east of Liberty Academy. The old Keys' dwelling, now owned by William Snodgrass, stands on the site of the old fort. A soldier by the name of Edmiston died at the fort and was the first person buried in the old Moore graveyard.
The Indians made frequent attacks on the fort and, in one, cap- tured and carried off a Miss Steele. The Indians were followed by parties from the fort, and she was recaptured on Walker's moun- tain. She was traced by means of twigs, which she had presence of mind enough to break off along the road.
Several persons from the fort were in the battle at King's Moun- tain, among whom were the eight Edmistons and William Moore. Several of the former were killed. They were the ancestors of The Edmondsons of this day.
Tradition says Fort Edmiston ceased to exist about the year 1800.
Archibald McSpadden, who settled near by on the Laurel Fork of the South Fork of the Holston, makes mention of
were much annoyed by the Cherokee Indians and applicant and the other new settlers forted at William Edmiston's, about five months.