Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River (South Branch), Augusta County, VA

Watchers
Share
__________________________

Contents


Welcome to Old Augusta County!

Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________


Source

From Chalkley's (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):

Related

Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River, Augusta County, VA

Streams

The South Branch of the Shenandoah includes South River, Christians Creek, Middle River (transactions listed separately below), Irish Creek (near South Mountain), Moffett's Creek, North River, Mill Creek (sometimes referred to as "Stover's Mill Creek), Borders the "Fairfax Line", Opeckon Creek (also falls into Frederick County), Little River and the area between Peaked Mountain and Stuart's Draft, Boone's Run, Crooked Run, Cub Run, Elk Run, Gilgo Run, Pine Run, Richardson's Run, Hawksbill Gap, and Falling Spring

Settlers

  • Page 723.--1st August, 1764. Christian Curp and Catherine ( ) to Jacob Archenbright (Argenbright), labourer, £90, 100 acres on a branch of Cub Run purchased by Christian of Valentine Pence, and his part of Francisco's tract of 3,100 acres; corner lands of Valentine Pence and John Craig. Teste: Jacob Nicolas, Jacob ( ) Passinger, Burr Harrison. Delivered: Jacob Archenbright. August, 1769.
  • Page 725.--20th November, 1764. Jacob ( ) Passinger (Persinger) and Catherine ( ) to Jacob Archenbright (Argenbright). £__, 325 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain the same that Jacob purchased of Phillip Haws, to whom it was patented 14th February, 1761; corner a survey of Nicolas Trout. Jacob Pence's line. Delivered: Jacob Archenbright, August, 1769.
  • Page 223.--18th September, 1768. Henry Long and Catharine ( ) to Jacob Arkinbright (Argenbright), £31.10, 125 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented 12th August, 1760, to said Henry, the other moiety being sold to George Fridley, on a branch between the Peaked Mountain and Shanandoah River. Teste: Adam Pence, Jacob Pence, John Archenbright. Delivered: Jacob Archembright, August, 1769.
  • Page 53.--20th August, 1765. George Trout and Mary ( ) to Margaret Barger (widow of Casper Barger), £30, on a branch of South River of Shanando on west side of Christian Clemon's land, 324 acres, patented to George, 14th February, 1761. Delivered: Casper Barrier, 3d April, 1769. (Note: this land was acquired by Casper Barger's widow, Margaret).
  • John Baylis of Prince William Co., 4 Jan. 1749 - 5 March 1749; 400 acres on branches of the Hawksbill; adj. Andrew Yougham. CC - Jacob Overbaker & Andrew Yougham. Pilot - Jno. Lyenberger/Lienbarger. Surv. George Hume. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 19].
  • Samuell Beam, 20 Nov. 1748 - 15 Dec. 1749; 170 acres on the east of the Hawksbill; adj. Samuel Beams own line, John Lyenberger, Petter Ruffner. CC - Micall Koffman & Petter Ruffner. Surv. George Hume. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 19].
  • February 13, 1745 - Francis Beatty had 203 acres surveyed on Pine Run, by Thos. Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 54].
  • Page 180.--19th February, 1746. Alexander Thompson to William Beard, £16 current money Virginia; on south branch Shanando, known by the name of Cave Bottom; Alexander Thompson's ford; next to the Great Mountain; Cave Hill; 100 acres, part of tract patented to Alexander, 13th July, 1742. Witnesses, Alexander Thompson, James Beard, John Edwards. Acknowledged, 19th February, 1746.
  • Page 203.- (undated, appears to be bet. Dec. 1752 - March 1753) - Gabriel Jones and Lewis Neil, of Frederick, executors of Wm McMachen (McMahon), late of same place, Gent., to William Beard, 400 acres on Cub Run of So. River Shanando, west side Peaked Mountain, patent to Wm., 12th January, 1746. Wm. died testate.
  • Dr. John Briscoe received a Fairfax grant for 400 acres located on branches of Opequon Creek (Note: a branch of the Shenandoah River), which was assigned to Briscoe by Mary Littler, widow of John Littler. [Gray, Northern Neck Warrants, K-67 and Joiner. Northern Neck Warrants and Surveys, Frederick County, Virginia, p. 19]. [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 149].
  • David Lewis, Jr. sold 61-acres of his 164-acre grant on 6 August 1764 to Dr. John Briscoe for 500 pounds, and the remaining 103 acres were sold on 2 June 1766 to James Stewart for 50 pounds. [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 153].
  • David Lewis, Jr. and his wife Tabltha sold 145 acres of the 400-acre tract (Tract 188) on 1 August 1768 to John Briscoe for 100 pounds, and the remaining 225 acres on 12 December 1782 to their son David Lewis for 99 pounds, 10 shillings. [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 153].
  • Page 88.--8th May, 1746. Lewis Neal (Neil) and Lydia, his wife; John Neal (Neil) and Ann, his wife, of the County of Frederick, to William Burk, £22 current money Virginia; 400 acres on west side Blue Ridge, on a branch of South River called Boon Run. Signed by all. Ann's mark. Witnesses, W. Russell, James Porteus, John Newport. Proved, 3d May, 1746, by all witnesses.
  • Page 294.—17th August, 1749. James Wood, Gent., Gent, of Frederick, to William Burk, 4000 acres. Patented to James, 22nd September, 1739. On South River, near Peaked Mountain, Boon's Run. Delivered: Nicholas Null, 25th May, 1753. Teste: Isaac Perkins, John Neill, James Porteus, Valentine Sevier.
  • Page 7.--18th November, 1745. Nathan Underwood of County of Orange, planter, to Christian Clymant (s/b Clements), of Augusta. Whereas, on 13th Januay, 1741 (1742), was granted to Henry Dowly, of Orange County, 236 acres in Augusta, part of which Henry conveyed to Nathan Underwood by deed recorded in Orange; £18; part of the tract on South River of Shanando, 100 acres. Witnesses, Robert Turk, George Anderson, Eastham Franklyn. Proved, 10th February, 1745-6, by all the witnesses.
  • Page 275.--23d October, 1769. Jacob ( ) Archenbright (Argenbright), yeoman, to George Conrad, blacksmith, £40, mortgage, on Cub Run, purchased by Jacob from Christian Grub, whereon Jacob lately lived, containing 100 acres. Teste: John Gabriel Jones, William Roebuck. Delivered: George Conrod, 11th November, 1771.
  • Page 369.--17th August, 1772. David ( ) Frazier and Barbara ( ) to George Conrad, £90, 157 acres patented to William Frazier, deceased, father to said David, 25th September, 1746, on south side of Shanandore, 2 mile run. Delivered: Geo. Conrod, August Court, 1776.
  • Page 431.--16th July, 1770. George Conrad (and Catherine ( )), eldest son and heir of Stephen Conrad to Stephen Conrad, brother of said George £__, natural love and affection. Two tracts 125 acres, 106 acres of which is part of 108 acres conveyed to said George by John Burk and 19 acres, part of tract whereon George now lives, on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore; also 24 acres patented to Stephen Conrad, father to Stephen, 30th August, 1763, and descended to George as eldest son and heir, lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner.
  • Stephen Conrad received a patent for 24 acres "lying between Lusk and Boon's Runs; corner John Sellers; corner Nutt's land; corner Wood's land; Kipling's (Kisling's, Rifling's) corner" on 30 August 1763.
  • Page 902.--25th April, 1765. James and Moses Green to Stephen Conrad, £60, 234 acres, part of 2000 acres patented to James Wood and Robert Green, on Boon's Run between Picked Mountain and Shanandore River, between John Burke's and Runkle's land. Teste: Henry Long, Jacob ( ) Parshinger, George Conrad. Delivered: George Conrad, August Court, 1776.
  • Page 537.--9th March, 1764. Same (From Honorias Powell and Jannet, of Orange County) to Valentine Cook, £18.10, 118 acres on Hawksbill. Delivered: Val. Cook, October, 1776.
  • Page 723.--8th February, 1749-50. Same (Christopher Franciscus, Sr., of Lancaster County, Pa. (and Anna Margaret)), to John Craig, 225 acres, part of same (On Shannadore and Cub Run, part of Christopher's 3,000-acre tract, mouth of Cub Run)., hiccory near Null's house.
  • Page 230.--14th May, 1754. Nicholas Null and Margaret, his wife to John Craig, 415 acres on Cub Run, a branch of Shanando, part of Stover's large tract of 5,000 acres, cor. William Pierce and Henry Dooley; line of Nicholas Null's land; line of Stover's 5,000 acre tract.
  • Page 525.--__ _____, 1758. Henry ( ) Duley, of Bedford, yeoman, and Martha to John Craig, yeoman, £30, 171 acres, part of 225 acres bought by Henry from Christopher Francisco, and part of Christopher's 3000 acres on Cub Run, cor. Frederick Harmantrout.
  • 1748, August 17th--Peter Cree, 400 acres, joining Fairfax line, on Shanando, now Frederick Summe (Lamme?), March, 1754.
  • 9 March 1745 - Land Survey for Michael Dorharty (Daugherty) for 280 acres on the North River (of the Shenandoah), by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 53].
  • Page 150 - Henry Dawson, 340 acres, South River. Adjoining Thomas Stuart, Beverley Manor. November 8, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 54].
  • Henry Dooley received a patent for 236 acres "on Shanadore River" on 20 January 1741. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 70].
  • Henry Dooley received a patent for 100 acres "on the South River of Sherrandore" on 30 January 1741. [Orange County Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 52].
  • Hugh Douglas received a patent for 120/130 acres on Stover's Mill Creek, adjoining John Stephenson's property on 25th June, 1747, as listed in Chalkley's.
  • Page 160.--19th August, 1766. Same (From Borden's Executors) to John Dunbar, £50, lot No. 3, 180 acres on Mill Creek, a branch of North Shanando. Delivered: John Dunbar, November, 1769.
  • Vol. 1. - Page 408. - Deed by Alexander Douglas to Andrew Duncan conveys a tract in Beverley Manor, 233 acres, joining Patrick Campbell's and Charles Campbell's and Brownlee's land, and a tract known as the Pine Run, where Francis Beatty once lived, 230 acres. Dated 16th October, 1746. Witnesses: Robert and John Cunningham. (Listed in "Buchanan vs. McCutcheon", Chalkley's Vol. 1, pg. 408).
  • Page 329.—29th July, 1754. Timothy Crosthwait, of Parish St. Thomas in County Orange, to Jeremiah Early, in Parish of Bramfield and County of Culpeper, £25, 400 acres on Elk Run of Shanando. Livery of seisin. Teste: Francis Kirtley, Jeremiah Early (Jr.), John Early, Thos. Kirtley, Thos. Stanton. Delivered to Francis Kirkey February, 1755.
  • Page 499.--15th August, 1752. Henry Purkey and Margaret to Abraham Eastes, of Caroline County, 110 acres on South River, Shanando; corner George Boon; corner James Barton. Teste: Nicholas Trout, Nicholas (X) Null.
  • Page 373.--21st August, 1754. Henry Purkey and Margaret M. to Abraham Eastus, of the County of Carolina of the Colony aforesaid, £100, 150 acres on south of the South Branch of Shanando, a sycamore about half a mile below the plantation whereon Jacob Stoner formerly lived.
  • Page 69.--20th February, 1745. Moses Thomson, late of County Augusta, to James Edmiston, £13.17 current money Virginia; 100 acres patented 20th August, 1745, to Moses, on east side South River, Shanandoe, on the Red Banks. Witnesses, Thos. Lewis, John Preston, David Edmiston. 15th April, 1746, proved by Lewis and Edmiston. 12th May, 1746, proved by John Preston.
  • Page 77.--13th May, 1746. George Robinson to John Finley, £100 current money Virginia; 892 acres, part of Beverley Manor, and granted by Beverley to George 21st February, 1738, on Shannandore River; lines of the Manor. Witnesses, Robert Rennick, Jno. Trimble, James Price, Silas Hart. Acknowledged, 13th May, 1746, and Martha, wife of George, released dower.
  • 1750, May 19th--John Francis, 50 (acres), at Puding Spring, with one right; 15th May, 1751, 50 acres, joining the same, with one right.
  • Page 453.--20th November, 1747. £5. Henry Downs, Sr., of Orange, to Ludwick Francisco, 470 acres on south side Shanado patented to Henry Downs, 25th June, 1747; corner of the 800 tract near lower end of the great island. Acknowledged, 19th November, 1747.
  • Page 416.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Ludwick Francisco, 180 acres as above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract) on Cub Run; Bruster's land.
  • 29 January 1744/5 - Robert Frazier had 225 acres of land "On Collins' Branch" (apparently on the Shenandoah River) surveyed by Thomas Lewis, Surveyor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 54].
  • Page 360.—14th July, 1753. William Beard and Mary to Robert Frazer (Frazier), South Branch Shanando, known as Cave Bottom, part of large tract patented to Alex. Thompson, 13th July, 1742, and sold to Beard; Alex. Thompson's Ford, Cave Hill, 100 acres. Teste: Robert Hoop, Robert Ralstone. James Beard.
  • William Frazier received a patent for 157 acres "on south side of Shanandore, 2 mile run" on 25th September, 1746.
  • Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. - 1749, April 14th-- William Fraizer (Frazier) William Fraizer, 200 acres on Stoney Run, Stover's tract, below (the) Dutch Smith.
  • Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. - 1751, May 7th-- William Fraizer (Frazier), 400 (acres), Fraizer (Frazier's) tract.
  • Page 64.--18th November, 1767. Jacob Hornberrier (Harnsbarger) and Elizabeth M. to Jacob Friend, £17, on a branch of the South Fork called Richardson's Run on west side of Dyche's land, 229 acres patented to Jacob Hornberrier, 10th July, 1767.
  • Page 433.--20th August, 1770. John Lewis, of Albemarle, to William Glaves (Gleaves), £40, on South River of Shanando, Joseph Hannah's land, Robert Frazer's survey, 164 acres patented to said Lewis, 21st September, 1762. Teste: Thomas Rodgers, James Kennerley, Jr., Thos. Turk. Delivered: Wm. Glaves, March, 1771.
  • Page 47 - John Grabill, 78 acres, Cub Run. Adjoining George Carpenter, Frederick Armentrout. April 28, 1785. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 113].
  • Page 152.--18th August, 1766. Borden's executors to John Grattan, £120, lots Nos. 1 and 2. No. 1 containing 235 acres on a small branch of Shanando; No. 2. contains 185 acres on North Branch of Shanando, the Mill Creek, both Nos. 1 and 2 being parts of Borden's tract. Teste: Archer Mathews and John Cowardin.
  • Page 156.--19th August, 1766. Bordens executors to John Grattan, £25, tract known as the Mill Place on Shanando and the lot No. 4 containing 300 acres, Mill Creek below the fall.
  • Page 344.--16th August, 1768. George ( ) Null and Barbara to Jacob Hamor (or Hammer), £30, 90 acres on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore River, patented to Nicholas Null, 15th August, 1764, and descended to George as eldest son and heir; corner Tack's land, Charles Foy's line. Teste: Daniel Smith, Thomas ( ) Burk, Jacob Nicholas, Robert Shanklin (Certified by A. McClenachan, C. A. C., for John Madison, late C. A. C. This is the first, 23d March, 1769). Delivered: Henry Hammer, 30th June, 1792.
  • Page 314.--23d September, 1749. Henry Ayler (Ehler) and Clev. Danner, of Culpeper, to Jacob Harmon. Corner Jacob Stover. Teste: Isaac Smith, Casper Vought, Jacob Harman, Jr. Delivered to Mrs. Harmon, 24th July, 1758. (Note: based upon records of neighboring settlers, it appears that this land was likely part of Jacob Stover's patent on the Shenandoah River near Cub Run).
  • Jacob Harnsbarger received a patent for 229 acres "on a branch of the South Fork called Richardson's Run on west side of Dyche's land", on 10 July 1767.
  • Page 266.--15th May, 1762. William ( ) Frazier to John Heterick (Hedrick), £10, 28 acres on Shanando patented to Wm., 10th March, 1756; Stover's line, Haine's Bottom. Teste: Jacob Nicolas, Peter Miller, Peter Brisler (Treslar).
  • Pages 399-406. 6-7 June 1738. John Smith of Orange County to William Hiett (Hiatt) of same. Lease and release; for valuable consideration. John Smith and John Hampton Junior of Orange County covenanted to take up and paten a tract from which John Hampton was to have 150 acres of the west end, which was surveyed for and patented in the name of John Smith 21 Aug. 1734, containing 420 acres on Opeckon Creek at Turkey Spring... John Hampton assigned unto William Hiett and Simion Woodrow who bought Hampton's right. Woodrow and Hiett parted the 150 acres, 60 acres to Simion Woodrow and 90 acres to William Hiett.. 90 acres on the west side of Sherrendo River and on Opeckon Creek at a place called Turkey Spring... division corner between William Hiett and Simeon Woodrow crossing Opeckon Creek to a stone by a run that comes from John Smith's mill... (signed) John Smith. Wit: Samuel Brittan, Rees Smith, William Smith. 22 June 1738. Acknowledged by John Smith. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 56].
  • p. 170 - 1 September 1756 - David Lewis, of South Carolina, to William Hiatt William Hiatt, -- acres -- 5 shillings - both sides of Opeckan Creek 0 Turkey Spring. On 30 October 1754 the Rt. Honourable Thomas Lord Fairfax granted land to William Hyatt of Frederick Co., Va. [Winchester, Frederick, Co., Va., Deed Book 4].
  • Jacob Holtzclaw, assignee of Mathias Selcer, no warrant, date from survey - 20 Sept. 1749 - 1 Dec. 1749; 401 acres on South fork of Shando. River. Chain Carriers - Micall Koffman & David Laudibouch. Surv. George Hume. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 25].
  • Jacob Holtzclaw/Houltsclaw of Prince William County; 5 Apr. 1751 - 6 May 1751; 104 acres on Shannandoah in Augusta where he lives. Chsin Carriers - Herman Houltsclaw & Joseph Strickler. Surv. George Hume. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 25].
  • Page 296.--21st March, 1753. John Stephenson, farmer, and Sarah to Archibald Houston, fanner, granted to John, 1743, 367 acres. Teste: Robert Cravens. John Pickens, Andrew Baskins. Acknowledged by Sarah, 17th August, 1753. (Note: this land was apparently located on Stover's Mill Creek, on the South Branch of the Shenandoah River).
  • Pages 52-55 [page 51 blank]. 21-22 July 1742. Henry Dowling (Dooley) of St. Thomas' Parish, Orange County, to John Howard of same. Lease and release; for £26 current money. 136 acres on Shanadore River, the lower end of a pattent granted to Dowling for 236 acres 30 Jan. 1741 already divided by Downing and Thomas Coaker. (signed) Henry (X) Duling [Douling]. Wit: Benjamin Cave, Joseph Gree. 23 July 1742. Acknowledged by Henry Dowling. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 70].
  • Page 13.--4th September, 1747. John Millar (Millan) and wife Hannah to Francis Hughes, late of Lancaster County, Penna., part of 400 acres patented to Thomas Rutherford, of Frederick County, and by him sold to James Gill, late of Augusta; other part in possession of Thomas Moore Teste: Mathew Skeen, Thos. Milsap. Delivered to Abra. (?) Bird, January, 1754. (Note: this land was located near Brock's Creek from other records).
  • Page 406.--2d July, 1752. Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney, to Peter Hull, 230 acres. Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract. Teste: Robert Hooks, Nicholas Trout, Val. Pence. Delivered: Nicholas Trout, 3d January, 1753.
  • Page 161.--__ _____, 1775. Valentine Cook and Susanna to John Jones, of Orange County, 180 acres on the Hawksbill.
  • Page 293.--21st March, 1760. James ( ) Turk and Mary to James Kennerly, £130, 320 acres on South River of Shanando, conveyed to James by Thomas, 16th August, 1758, corner land formerly Bloodworth's. the Cranberry Swamps, Christian Clements' land.
  • Page 193.--20th May, 1771. Thomas Rodgers and Betty to James Kennerly. £100 143 acres, north side Shanandore River, John Patrick's lines; corner Poindexter's land, Thomas Turk's line. Teste: Richard Poindexter Delivered to Mr. Kennerley. March 1777
  • Page 207.--19th November, 1755. Wm. Cunningham and Gennet ( ) to Chas. Killpatrick, £14, 90 acres on head of Moffett's Branch, patented to William 12th February, 1755. Teste: John Davis, James Hogshead, John Malkem. Delivered: James Lockhart, 17th May, 1757.
  • Page 63.--8th September. 1762. John David Wilper and Anna Christina ( ) to Francis Kirkley (Kirtley), £35, 270 acres on Hawksbill, branch of Shanandore, conveyed to John David by Honorius Powell, 13th May, 1762. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, Esq., 27th May, 1789.
  • Page 131.--13th March, 1764. Jeremiah ( ) Early and Elisabeth ( ), of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, £80, 240 acres on Elk Run. "Beginning confirmed unto Jeremiah Early a tract containing 40 acres between Elk Run and the Hawk's Bill; corner said Jeremiah Early; corner survey of Francis Kirtley's to the beginning, thence the several courses of Martin's patent, on the south side Elk Run. being the remainder of Martin's patent the said Francis Kirtley purchased before, &c." Teste: James Kirtley, John Earley, William ( ) Bohanon, William ( ) Smith.
  • David Lewis engaged James Wood on 21 November 1735 to survey 516 acres "on Opechon" and again 2 March 1735/36, to survey 316 acres "on the west side Opeckon". [Pioneers of Old Frederick Country, Virginia By Cecil O'Dell, pg. 153].
  • Pages 406-13. 6-7 June 1738. John Smith of Orange County to David Lewis of same. Lease and release; for valuable consideration. John Smith and John Hampton Junior of Orange County covenanted to take up and patten (patent) a tract from which John Hampton was to have 150 acres of the west end, which was surveyed for and pattented in the name of John Smith 21 Aug. 1734, containing 420 acres on Opeckon Creek at Turkcy Spring... for bond of ₤50 to John Hampton which bond Hampton assigned unto Simeon Woodrow and William Hiet who bought Hampton's right. Woodrow and Hiet by consent parted to 150 acres, 60 acres to Simeon Woodrow and 90 acres to William Hiet. Woodrow sold his right to David Lewis. 60 acres on the west side of Sherrendo River and on Opeckon Creek at a place called Turkey Spring, part of 420 acres granted John Smith 21 Aug. 1734... on the north side of the entire tract... crossing Opeckon Creek to a stone near the run which comes from the said John Smith's mill... (signed) John Smith. Wit: Samuel Brittan, Rees Smith, Wiliam Smith. 22 June 1738. Acknowledged by John Smith. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 57].
  • p. 383 - 24 October 1751 - William Hyatt to David Lewis - 184 acres - 5 shillings - on east side of Opeckon Creek - land granted by Lord Fairfax. [Winchester, Frederick, Co., Va., Deed Book 2].
  • On 17 October 1751, David Lewis, Jr. (b. 1725 c.) retained John Baylis to survey "400 acres where he (Lewis) lives on Mouth of Mill Creek on west side of Opechon and bought from Capt. Richard Magan (Morgan). A Fairfax grant was issued on 2 March 1753. (Tract 91B and 188, Map 4). [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 153].
  • David Lewis, Jr. (b. 1725) also had 164 acres adjacent south of his 400 acres on the west side of Opequon Creek and on Mill Creek surveyed on 29 March 1754, for which he received a Fairfax grant on 16 February 1764. [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 153].
  • G-325: John & Peter Lienbarger of Augusta County, 1,100 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. John Baylis. On Little Hawks Bill, adj. Peter Rufner. 19 Sept. 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 39].
  • Page 100.--17th June, 1746. George Brackenridge (Breckenridge), yeoman, to Samuel Lusk, farmer, £18 current money Virginia; 200 acres on south side Middle River of Shanando; William Anderson's line; corner to Jno. Finley. Witnesses, John and Robert Christian, James Trimble. Acknowledged, 18th June, 1746, and Ann released dower.
  • James McCarroll received a patent for "130 acres patented to James McCarroll, 20th September, 1748, on Cub Run, Crosswait's line".
  • Page 203 - William McGavock - 75 acres, Irish Creek on a ridge of the South Mountains called the Dutch Pond Ridge. July 2, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 74]. (Note: Irish Creek is a tributary of the South River, located in the area of Augusta County that became Rockbridge County in 1778)
  • Robert McKay, Jr. received a patent for 828 acres "on the west side Shanandoe River on both side Crooked Run" on 3 October 1734 in Orange County, Virginia. [Disposition listed in [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 46].
  • William McMahon received a patent for 400 acres "on Cub Run of So. River Shanando, west side Peaked Mountain" on 12th January 1746.
  • Page 214.--3d April, 1751. Same (Henry Downes, Sr. of Orange County, Gent.) to John Madison, gent., 330 acres, part of Jacob Stover's 800 acre patent, 13th December, 1738, which Stover failed to improve and Downs got patent for 5th June, 1747; on South and Shanadoe River. Corner Ludwick Francisco, Upper Red Banks; Lower Red Banks. Teste: John Lewis, Mathew Edmiston, Wm. Armstrong, James Porteus.
  • Vol. 2 - 1748-49, March 16th--John Magot (Maggard), 400 (acres), joining Crosswait's land on Elk Run.
  • Page 326.--17th May, 1752. Edward Watts and Elizabeth, of Culpeper, to John Magret (Maggard), 125 acres. Mouth of Hawksbill of Shanando; 200 acres sold by Jacob Stover to Jacob Castle; Castle sold 75 acres to Jacob Coger, 26th June, 1740, and 125 acres to Elizabeth Downs, present wife of Edward Whats. 33d September, 1742.
  • Page 802.--9th March, 1765. Teawalt ( ) Hannan and Sarah ( ) to George Mallow, £30, 50 acres between Peeked Mountain and Shanandore, devised to Teawalt by his father Jacob, Price's line. Teste: John Madison, John Madison, Jr., Peter Miller. Delivered: George Mallow, May, 1776.
  • Robert Martin received a patent for 400 acres on "Gilgo Run, Hawkbill" on 20 September 1745.
  • Page 165.--18th November, 1766. Same (From Borden's Executors) to Rodolph Maught (Rudolph Mauck), £80, lot No. 2, 163 acres on North Shannando. forks of said river where the two branches meet. Delivered: John Dunbar, November, 1769.
  • Page 166 - Francis Meadow, 80 acres, North Fork of the Hawksbill. March 15, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 60].
  • Pages 399-402. 26-27 May 1741. Jacob Greuter of Orange County to Adam Miller of same. Lease and release; for £64 Pennsylvania money. 200 acres on the north side Sherundo (Shenandoah) River... at the uppermost corner of Stover's survey... at the mountain... also 217 acres... corner of Seltzer's on the north side of the river... to Kaufman's corner... being part of the Massenutten Tract of 5,000 acres granted to Jacob Stover. (signed) Jacob Greiter. 28 May 1741. Acknowledged by Jacob Greuter. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 61].
  • Pages 199-202. 9-10 March 1741 [1742]. Joseph Bloodworth of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County to Adam Miller of same. Lease and release; for £110 current money. 820 acres on the east side of the South Branch of Sharrando (Shenandoah) River... between the Hawk's Bill and Elk Run... including all the islands of the river... corner to Henry Dooling... across the Mill Branch near the mill in Stover back line... courses of Jacob Stover's pattent... being that part of the land I bought of Jacob Stover... (signed) Joseph Bloodworth. Wit: John Newport, Leonard Ziegler, Christopher Zimmerman. 27 May 1742. Proved by Jno. Newport, Leonard Zigler and Xtopher Zimmerman. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 10].
  • Page 113.--28th January, 1751. Nicholas Null of Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania, to Jacob Miller, Jr., 400 acres, on So. River Shanandoe, Peaked Mountain, Boon's Run. Teste: Jacob Nicholas, Valintine Pence, Henry Dooley.
  • Page 443.---19th November, 1771. William Oaler to William Munger, £4, 250 acres, part of 1,900 acres patented 16th September, 1765. one Windleverley's corner; Adam Boyer's corner; one Strickler's corner. Delivered to order of grantee's heirs, 6th September, 1804. (Note: the location of this land is contained in the subsequent transaction between William Oaler and Andrew Bartell, it is listed as "on west side of Shanandore River").
  • Pages 121-24. 2-3 Oct. 1738. Rees Smith of Orange County to John and Lewis Neile of same. Lease and release; for ₤32.10.- currentl money. 150 acres on the west side of Sharrendo River and on Opeckon Creek at a mouth of a valley above a pine hill about half a mile above a new waggon roade marked from the waggon road to go to Jost Hite's... (signed) Rees Smith. Wit: Morgan an, William Smith, John Beals Juner. 22 March 1738 [1739]. Acknowledged by Rees Smith. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3 Dorman, pg. 9].
  • Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY.: 1750, August 29th--Jacob Nicholas, 400 [acres], between Jacob Pence and the Peeked Mountain.
  • Page 795.--19th March, 1765. Jacob Pence, eldest son and heir-at-law of Jacob Pence, late of Augusta, deceased, and Adam Pence, ditto of Valentine Pence, ditto to Jacob Nicholas. Whereas Jacob, Sr., and Valentine owned in common 164 acres near the Peeked Mountain, the patent being issued in the name of Jacob. Jacob Nicholas purchased Valentine's moiety, but before title was made Jacob devised the whole to Valentine to enable him to make conveyance to said Jacob Nicholas and to Adam Hetrick, who had bought Jacob Pence's half. Valentine died without making conveyance, and Nicholas brought suit in chancery and the grantors here were decreed, on 21st August, 1762, within three months after they come of age, to make conveyance, £14, 75 acres, part of 164 acres, patented to Jacob, 20th August, 1747, at end of Peaked Mountain; Jacob Nicholas's field, corner land formerly John Lawrence's. Delivered: Col. Jno. Rusk.
  • Page 797.--18th March, 1765. Adam Pence, eldest son, &c, as above, to Jacob Nicholas, £10, 31 acres, part of 166 acres which Valentine purchased of Christopher Francisco on Cub Run. Delivered: Col. Jno. Rusk.
  • Page 509.--25th June, 1769. Ludwick Francisco, eldest son and heir of Christopher Francisco, of Lancaster Borough, Pennsylvania, to Jacob Nicholas, 5 shillings, 390 acres, part of 3000 acres purchased by Christopher of Jacob Stover, and still is part of a greater tract of 5000 acres patented to Stover, oak near an old cabin, Hetrick's line; corner Pence's land; corner Archembright. Delivered: Jacob Nicholas, May, 1771.
  • John and Lewis Neill received a patent for 400 acres "west side Blue Ridge, on a branch of South River called Boon (Boone's) Run, on 1 December 1740, as listed in Chalkley's records.
  • Page 797.--20th August, 1750. William Burk to Nicholas Null of Co. Lancaster, Peaked Mountain, Boon's Run, 400 acres. Teste: Wm. Williams, John McGuiness, Jacob Nichols.
  • Page 421.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Nicholas Nutt (Futt), Null?, 415 acres. Same (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre trac); corner Wm. Peirce and Henry Dooley.
  • 1746, November 14th--Wm. Offal (O'Friel), 400 acres near John Rodgers, on Crooked Run, South River; 400 acres near Chas. Crosson's, on Naked Creek; 400 acres on Naked Creek; 400 acres, Fairfax line. Timber Ridge and Holdman's Creek.
  • Page 185.--9th February, 1747. Robert Turk, planter, to Robert Patrick, £62 current money Virginia; 437 acres in Beverley Manor, crossing South River of Shanando. Witnesses, John Preston, Robert Scott. Acknowledged by Robert Turk, and dower released by Margaret, his wife, 18th March, 1746.
  • Page 171.—24th October, 1748. Wm. Sayers to John Pattison (Patterson), weaver, part of 1,54(! acres sold by Wm. Beverley to Patrick Campbell in 1738 and by him to Wm. Sayers in 1745. Patrick Campbell. On South Branch Shanandoah. Teste: Wm. Smith, Pat. Campbell, James Mitchell, Andrew Duncan.
  • Page 726.--27th November, 1749. Christopher Franciscus, Jr., of Augusta, to Jacob and Valentine Pence, 210 acres, part of 3,000 acres on Cub Run; corner Nicholas Null. Delivered: H. Dowley (See page 720, supra.), 20th August, 1751.
  • Page 426.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Valentine Pence, 210 acres as above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract). Corner Nicholas Null, Cub Run.
  • Page 431.--2d July, 1752. Same to same (Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Valentine Pence), 168 acres. As above. Cub Run, corner John Craige: corner land said Pence lives on. Teste: Patrick Wilson.
  • Page 500.--5th October, 1751. William Williams and Sarah, to Henry Perkey, 550 acres; corner Jacob Stover's 5,000 acres. Teste: Felty Pence, Jacob Nicholas.
  • Page 395.--16th March, 1757. John ( ) Wilson and Mary to Henry Perkey, £11, 30 acres on Mill Creek, a branch of Shanando, part of 380 acres belonging to John, cor. Henry's own land.
  • Page 17.--13th May, 1758. John Wilson ( ) and Mary ( ) to Henry Perkey, £80, 388 acres on Mill Creek of Shanando purchased by Jno. from Wm. Russell; corner said Perkey's line. Teste: Robt. Hook, Jacob ( ) Persenor (Persinger, Parchinger), Charles Rush.
  • Page 9.--16th October, 1760. Same (From Morrice Poutz (signed Pound), of Fairfax) to Henry Pirgy (s/b Perkey), £154, 360 acres, part of Jacob Steven's great tract, formerly conveyed to Christopher Francisco, the elder, and by Stophel Francisco, his attorney in fact, to Maurice Pound, 2d July, 1752, on north side Shenandore; John Stevenson's meadow; cor. Ludwick Francisco. Delivered: Jacob Pirkey, February, 1767.
  • Page 440.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christopher Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney), to Morrice Pound, 360 acres. As above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract). John Stevenson's line; corner Ludwick Francisco.
  • Page 444.--Same to same ((Christopher Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney),to Morrice Pound), 320 acres. As above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract). Cub Run; Pence's land.
  • 1749, April 18th- (Patent to) - William Price, 200 (acres), on Hawk's Bill Gap, near (Robert) Martin's land.
  • James Ramsey (lived in the Cow Pasture and acquired an 80 acre tract on North River of Shanando from Daniel and John Smith on 18 August, 1756, from Chalkley's), (b. abt. 1717, d. abt. 1760, Augusta County, Virginia), possibly the brother of Robert Ramsey who was killed in the Indian Raid of "Kerr's Creek" on October 10, 1759, listed below.
  • John Rogers acquired land "on Crooked Run on the South River" near Naked Creek, prior to Nov. 1746, adjoining William O'Friel. The deed for this land is most likely located in Orange County, Virginia records.
  • Page 20.--13th May, 1758. Peter Hull and Susanna ( ) to Charles Rush, £32, 210 acres, part of larger tract purchased by Peter from Francisco; corner to Trout's land, on Cub Run, line of Pence's land. Some witnesses as above. Delivered: Charles Rush, February, 1765.
  • Page 501.--16th May, 1768. Joseph Rediford (Rutherford) to Thomas Rutherford, £50, 134 acres, part of 400 above on Cub Run; corner Reuben Rutherford in Gilbert's line.
  • Pages 191-93. 23-24 July 1740. Robert MacKay (Jr.) of Orange County to William Rentfroe of same. Lease and release; for £17 current money. 828 acres on the west side Shanandoe River on both side Crooked Run, granted Robert Mackay 3 Oct. 1734... on the top of Guard Hill... (signed) Robert Mackay Junr. 24 July 1740. Acknowledged by Robert Mackay Junr. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 46].
  • Page 49 - Godfrey Swing, 146 acres, on some branch of Cub Run. Adjoining George Carpenter, John Grabill. December 8, 1785. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 114].
  • Vol. 2 - 1744-45, January 30th--Robert Scott, 400 acres north side North River, opposite its mouth. (Note: this land is most likely adjoining or in the vicinity of Samuel Scott, Robert's brother, listed below).
  • Vol. 2 - 1744-45, January 30th--Samuel Scott, 400 acres on north side North River, above Seawright's Mill road. (Note: this land appears to be the 400 acres "on Cub Run" listed in Samuel Scott's will).
  • George Seawright, (56) 8 ___ber 20, 1738, survey for George Seawright, beginning on West side South Fork of Shenandore below ye mouth of a Spring branch and runneth thence S. 15 E. 44 to 3 Pines, S. 30 W. 150 to 2 Pines, thence S. 52 W. 100, 20 ye river, thence crossing ye same to below to White Oaks; N. 30 W. 20, N. 10 W. 120 to 1 White Oak, thence N. 30 E. 180 to 2 pines, thence N. 60 E. 60 to a pine; S. 65 E. 68 to ye river, thence up ye said river, S. 6 W. to ye beginning, thence came to ye corner between 2 White Oaks and run; S. 58 E. 78 to a Sycamore on ye river and down ye river ( ), N. 60 E. 40 P. and N., 18 W. 4 pole. [Extract from Hume's Old Field Book read in Evidence in the Suit "Moffett vs. McPheeters", Chalkley's].
  • Pg. 225-227. Indenture 25 Sept. 1745 between Michael Rynard (Reinhart) of Orange County and Mathias Solsor (Selser) of same.. lease and release for £40.. sells 100 acres of land upon south side of Shannando River.. bounded.. Mill Run.. Henry Hastings.... (signed) Michael (X) Rynard (Seal). Witnesses: George Hume, John Newport, Jno. Reynolds. Recorded Orange County 26 September 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 49].
  • Page 371.—16th July, 1754. Peter Cue (his mark) and Mary Cue, his wife, to Mathias Selzer, of Frederick County, £35, 120 acres on southeast side Shanando River. Delivered to Mathias Selzer, 6th October, 1760.
  • Page 112.--16th May, 1759. Jacob ( ) Hermon (Harmon) to John and Adam Shaup (Sharp), heirs of Mathew Shaup, £40, 350 acres devised to John and Adam by Mathew's will, their father, near upper end of Peaked Mountain Teste: Jno. Couts, Jacob Parsinger, Jacob Goodman.
  • John Smith engaged Robert Brooke to survey 420 acres of land on 25 March 1734 on the Opequon (also called Opeckon) Creek area, which he received a patent for on 20 August 1734. [Source: "Pioneers of Old Frederick Country, Virginia" By Cecil O'Dell, pg. 150].
  • Page 578.--12th April, 1764. William Minter to Adam Stephen, of Frederick, £125, 212 acres patented to William, 26th September, 1760, on Mossey Creek; line of Edward Erwin's land. Delivered: Robert Stephen, 29th September, 1767.
  • Page 813.--27th September, 1764. Henry Smith, farmer, and Amelia, to Adam Stephen, of Frederick County, £136, 170 acres conveyed to Henry by Silas Hart, 1st June, 1756, on South Fork of North River of Shanandoe. Delivered: Robert Stephen, 29th September, 1767. Teste: William Teas and William Stuart.
  • Page 815.--27th September, 1764. Same to same (Henry Smith, farmer, and Amelia, to Adam Stephen, of Frederick County), £100.10, 400 acres by patent, 27th June, 1764, to Henry Smith on North River of Shanandoe, Hickory in the Barrens.
  • Patent (prob. from William Beverley) to John Stephenson, 400 acres on Orange (Augusta) County, on Stover's Mill Creek, of South River, Shenandore, 1st June, 1741.
  • Page 27.--17th November, 1767. William Russell, late of Culpeper County, by Francis Kirkley to John Stephenson, yeoman, £32.10, 700 acres on Mill Creek, part of Stover's 5,000 acres, part whereof being lapsed and forfeited was granted to William Russell, Gent., father of said William Russell and contains 250 acres whereon John now lives as by survey made by Thomas Lewis, crossing Hooks' Branch; corner Perkey's land, Weaver's line; another tract of Perkey's; corner Francisco's land. Delivered: John Stevenson, October, 1769.
  • Page 89.--11th March, 1785. John Taite, Sr., to Thomas Stephenson Delivered to Jacob Swallow 1st June, 1787, 400 acres patented to said John Taite on Pine Run, a branch of South River near South Mountain. Teste: Samuel McConkey, Anthony Mustoe.
  • Vol. 2 - LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. - 1748, November 2d--Abraham Stover, 200 acres, Cub Run, joining Saml. Scott, Stover's 5,000-acre tract; 60 acres on Great Island in Shanando.
  • Page 61.--11th April, 1746. Peter Rufnaugh (Rufnedt) to Daniel Stover, £10 current money Virginia; on South River, Shanando, at mouth of Hawksbill Creek, part of 250 acres granted to John Landrum purchased by Rufnaught from Landrum containing 196 acres. Witnesses, same as p.68. Acknowledged, 14th April, 1746.
  • Page 338.--13th August, 1773. Daniel Smith and Jean ( ) to Daniel Stover. Patented to Samuel Harrison, 5th September. 1749, and conveyed to Daniel. Teste: John Henton, Joseph Smith, Daniel Smith, Jr.
  • Page 341.--13th August. 1773. Samuel Samples and Hannah ( ) to Daniel Stover, 38 acres patented to Alexander Herring, 30th August, 1763.
  • Page 169.--16th March, 1772. Jacob ( ) Argen(Archen)bright and Susannah ( ) to Henry Sturtsnocker (Stalnaker) for £33.10, 126 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain patented to Philip Haws 14th February, 1761, and by him conveyed to Jacob Parsenger 17th June, 1762, and by him to grantor here 20th November, 1764; corner Nicholas Trout; corner Jacob Pence. Teste: Samuel and James Craig, Jacob Nicolas, Valentine Lioninger. Not delivered.
  • Dr. John Briscoe and his wife Elizabeth sold his 400 acre tract "on branches of Opequon Creek", which he acquired on 1 March 1760 to Jacob Taylor for 500 pounds on 30 June 1760. [Source: Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia, by Cecil O'Dell, pg. 149].
  • Page 716.--6th February, 1749-50. Christopher Franciscus, Sr., of Lancaster County, Penna., to Jacob Thomas, 185 acres. On Shannadore and Cub Run, part of Christopher's 3,000-acre tract, mouth of Cub Run. Teste: Christopher Franciscus, der Junger. Teste: Nicholas Moll (mark). Signed also Anna Margaret Franciscus. Delivered: Jacob Miller, February, 1753.
  • Page 357.—8th October, 1751. Cornelius Cook and Ann of Granville Co. No. Ca., late of Augusta, to Rees Thomas, 1751. Patented to Cornelius 20th September, 1748, Brock's Creek, 350 acres. Acknowledged 12th July. 1753 before Erwin Patterson. Teste: Stephen and Isaac Ruddle.
  • Page 92.--21st March, 1759. John Anderson and Jane ( ) to Matthew Thompson, £107, 400 acres on Mill Creek of Shanando, patented to Andrew McConnall, 30th August, 1743, conveyed by Andrew to John in Augusta; corner Robt. Hook; corner William Williams. Delivered: Thompson, November, 1760.
  • Hugh Torbett acquired land on Pine Run, which was between Peak Mountain and Stuart's Draft, adjoining land of James Brownlee, Sr., William Brownlee and John Shields, as mentioned in "Buchanan vs. McCutcheon" (Chalkley's Vol. 1. pg. 408).
  • George Trout received a grant deed of 100 acres of land "on both side South River Shanando, mouth of Pear's Run" on 20 August 1755.
  • George Trout received a patent for 324 acres of land "on a branch of South River of Shanando on west side of Christian Clemon's land" on 14 February 1761.
  • Page 435.--2d July. 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Nicholas Trout, 145 acres. As above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore, between Peaked Mountain and Cub Run). Corner Ludwick Francisco; Morrice Pound's line.
  • Pages 212-16. 4-5 Feb. 1743. Henry Dowly (Dooley) of Orange County, yeoman, to Nathan Underwood of same, shue maker. Lease and release; for £12 current money. [___] acres on the South River of Sherrandore in Augusta County being part of 100 acres granted by pattent 30 Jan. 1741 [1742] unto Henry Dowly... upper end in the bounds of the pattent... (signed) Henry (D) Dowly. Wit: Wm. Jackson, Thos. (T) Jackson, David (D) Jackson and David Jackson. 26 May 1743. Lease proved by Wm. Jackson, Thos. Jackson and David Jackson. Henry Dowly acknowledges release. [Orange County Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 52].
  • Pg. 194-195. Indenture 12 Aug. 1745 between David Zachary and Ann, his wife, of St. Thomas Parish, county of Orange, and Nathan Underwood of same.. for sum of £12.. sells certain tract bounded by Elk Run, corner to William Rucker.. Thomas Jackson's line.. Little Elk Run.. containing 50 acres.... (signed) David Zachary (Seal), Ann (X) Zachary (Seal). Witnesses: Bartholomew Vawter, Thom. (X) cook, David (X) Jackson. Recorded Orange County 22 August 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 46].
  • Page 109.--15th February, 1763. Same (Andrew Balfaut (s/b Vaught) and Elizabeth ( ) (Faut)) to Gasper Balfaut, his brother, £2, 67 acres, art of 400 acres patented to John Balfaut, 20th February, 1745, on a small branch of Shanando; cor. Christian Clemmon's land. Teste: Jacob Lingell. Delivered: Casper Fought, April, 1779.
  • Page 527.--15th November, 1752. James Downing and Mary to James Wait (Waite), 120 acres patented to Hugh Douglas, 25th June, 1747, and conveyed by him to Downing; John Stevenson's line. Teste: Edward Shanklin, Thomas Harrison, Daniel Harrison.
  • Page 339.--13th May, 1762. Honorius Powell and Jannet, of Orange County, to John David Wilper (Wilpert). £35. 270 acres on Hawk's Bill, a branch of Shanandore, patented to Honorius, 15th December, 1757. Teste: James and Francis Kirtley, Frances Slaughter. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, Esq., of Rockingham, 27th May, 1789.
  • Page 411.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Patrick Wilson, 380 acres as above (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract); land Morrise Pound lives on.
  • Page 289.--20th May, 1752. Benj. Capland (Copeland) and Ann to Joseph Wright, 400 acres on Buffilo Spring of North Fork Shanando. Teste: Charles Baley, Samuel Gray. Delivered: Thomas Waddell, 29th June, 1755.


__________________________

North Branch Land Transactions:

Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River (North Branch)

Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia