Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River (North Branch), Augusta County, VA

Watchers
Share
__________________________

Contents


Welcome to Old Augusta County!

Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________


Source

From Chalkley's (unless noted otherwise, listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):


Related

Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River, Augusta County, VA

Location

The North Branch of the Shenandoah includes Dry River or "Little Dry River", Passage Creek, Beach's Creek, Bear Creek, Beaver Creek, Brock's Creek & Gap, Buffalo Draft, Christian's Creek, Cook's Creek, Holman's Creek, Kennedy's Creek, Mossy Creek (including Pudding Springs Draft), Muddy Creek (sits at foot of North Mountain), Naked Creek, Smith's Creek, Spring Creek, Stony Creek, Willing's Creek (also referred to as Walling's Creek), Shoemaker River, Long Glade, German River, Cold Spring River, Briney Branch, Cedar Branch, Thorney Branch, Stony Lick Branch, Bare Spring (a branch of Dry River), Vail's Spring, Elk Lick, Ft. Run, Stoney Run and Picked (also referred to as "Peaked" or "Massanutten") Mountain

Settlers

  • N-331: John Alderson of Frederick County, 91 acres on Smith's Creek near the Mountain in said County. surv. Robert Rutherford. Adj. his own land, Samuel Lusk. 13 December 1766. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 186].
  • Page 491.--20th November, 1771. Joseph Carroll, only surviving son and heir of William Carroll, deceased, late of Frederick County, and Mary ( ) to John Alderson, Jr., £25, on Stroud's branch between Smith's Creek and the Peaked Mountain, corner another survey of William Carroll's; being 158 acres patented to William 16th August, 1756; also at same place, a tract called Carroll's Meadow; corner survey belonging to Zebulon Harrison, crossing Daniel James' Branch, containing 265 acres patented to Wm. Carroll, 10th September, 1752. Delivered: John Alderson, 27th November, 1774.
  • G-263: Reuben Allen of Augusta County, 625 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On North River of Shannondoah, adj. Benjamin Allen, near Frank's Ford, 9 Aug. 1749.
  • G-242: Joseph Allen of Augusta County. 118 acres in Augusta County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. Near place called the Graveyard, adj. Benjamin Allen's Old Patent, near N. R. of Shannnndoah, Jackson Allen, William Moore. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Page 2 - Thomas Burk, 320 acres, Dry Run, north side of Shenandoah River. May 6, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
  • Page 156.--17th Augusta, 1775. Philip ( ) Nicholas, eldest son of Samuel Nicholas and John Thomas, executors of Samuel Nicholas to Jacob Brunk, of Frederick County, Maryland, on Brock's Creek, patented to William Rutledge. 20th August, 1745, and by him conveyed to Cornelius Ruddle. Teste: Caspar Karsnar, George Ruddle.
  • Page 38.--15th August, 1777. James Thomas and Sarah, of Hampshire County to Stuffle Brunk, head of cedar branch patented to James Claypol, Jr., 15th December, 1757, patented to James Thomas 27th August, 1770 between his and Samuel Nicholas' land. Teste: John Thomas, Charles Daley, John Brown.
  • William Bumpass, 267 acres, Cooks Creek. Adjoining Daniel Love, Mathew Blacks. April 27, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 7].
  • Page 384.--20th June, 1769. John Burk to Nicholas Allstot, £200, 163 acres, part of 400 patented to Lewis and John Neal, 1st December, 1740, and by them conveyed to William Burk, deceased, and by him devised to said John; corner Steven Conrod. Delivered: Peter Conrod. 21st April. 1784.
  • Page 126.--16th March, 1773. John Burk to Nicholas Allstot, part of 400 acres patented to Lewis and John Neill, 1st December, 1740, and by them conveyed to William Burk, deceased, father of said John Burk. Delivered: Peter Conrod, 21st April, 1784.
  • Page 482.--21st April, 1748. £20. Francis Kirkley (Kirtley), of Orange County, to Jno. Anderson, farmer, 400 acres on a draft of North River of Shanandoe called the Long Glade joining James Anderson's and James Cathey's Teste: Silas Hart, John Anderson, Geo. Anderson, James Anderson, Francis Kirkley. Acknowledged, 18th May, 1748.
  • Page 223.--18th September, 1768. Henry Long and Catharine ( ) to Jacob Arkinbright (Argenbright), £31.10, 125 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented 12th August, 1760, to said Henry, the other moiety being sold to George Fridley, on a branch between the Peaked Mountain and Shanandoah River. Teste: Adam Pence, Jacob Pence, John Archenbright. Delivered: Jacob Archembright, August, 1769.
  • Page 143.--3d September, 1766. Robert Black and Magey ( ), of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, to Martin Archenbright (Argenbright), £65, 232 acres on Cook's, patented to Thomas Stevenson, 25th June, 1747, and conveyed to Robert, 22d June, 1763. Teste: Hugh Johnson.
  • William Aylor (Ohler, Eiler), received a patent of 1,900 acres, North side of Shenandoah River, part of 3,000 acres formerly surveyed to James Maxwell. August 3, 1765. [Abstracts of Land Grant Surveys 1761-1791, by Peter Cline Kaylor, of Rockingham Historical Society Harrisonburg, VA 1938, pg. 16].
  • Page 447.--__ ____, 1771. Same (From William Aylor (Oaler, Ohler, Eiler)) to Andrew Bartell (Bartill), £5, 230 acres, part of 1,900 acres above, on west side of Shanandore River, corner Windlecoit's land. Delivered.
  • Page 217.--8th January, 1746. Thomas Gillespy to James Bell and John Rutledge, £100; 400 acres on Long Glade, a draft of North River of Janendo (s/b Shanando); head of a draft of Naked Creek. Witnesses, Robert McClenachan. James Irwin, Thomas Rutlidge. Proved by all witnesses, 21st May, 1747.
  • Page 10.--2d February, 1754. Andrew Bird to Abraham Bird, 174 acres in Brock's Gap on North Sharrando River, the patent line to the Chimney Rock.
  • Page 83.--22d February 1750-51. Swain Rambo and Jane to Andrew Bird, 400 acres by patent on Smith's Creek; corner to Andrew Bird, John Philip's line. (See infra, p. 222). Delivered: Andrew Bird, January, 1754. Teste: Peter Scholl, Saml. Newman.
  • Page 7.--2d February, 1754. Andrew Bird to Moses Bird, on Smith's Creek. Andrew Bird's line; Jno. Phillips' line, 350 acres, part of 400, 50 of which were surveyed for Jacob Rambo by deed. Teste: Abraham Bird. Delivered to Jno. Skean, February, 1758.
  • Page 154 - Andrew Bird, 270 acres, between Mathew Harrisons and Millsaps lines. June 5, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 55].
  • Alexander Blair acquired a tract of at least 400 acres, most likely near Naked Creek, which was adjoining land of his brother James Blair and possibly adjoining land of James Anderson, Hugh Campbell and James Gamble, prior to 1747.
  • James Blair acquired a tract (# of acres undetermined), most likely near Naked Creek, which was adjoining land of his brother, Alexander Blair.
  • Land Grant Survey; Page 4 - Conrod Blows, 160 acres, North side Naked Creek. Adjoining Henry Null. September 30, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 2].
  • Page 444.--__ _____, 1770. William Owler (Aylor) to Adam Bowyer, £__, 200 acres on north side Shanandore, part of 1,900 acres patented to William Owler, deceased, 16th September, 1766, pond near Strickler's convey; corner David Lowderback; corner William Mungar. Delivered: Adam Bowyer, August, 1781.
  • Page 426.--22d August, 1771. Thomas Moore to Michael Bowyer, £10, 145 acres, part of 190 acres patented to said Moore, 12th May, 1770, on Smith's Creek, said Bowyer's line, Thomas Lookie's land. Delivered: Boston March by Mr. Bowyer's order, March Court, 1777.
  • Alexander Brownlee (400 acres on No. Side Southernmost Branch of No. River of Shanando, Patented 20 June, 1749, sold 20th August, 1753 to John Cozbey for £14, 5, from Chalkley's), (b. 1718, Ireland), brother of John, William and James Brownlee, who migrated to Augusta County, VA.
  • 1743 - Patent to Andrew Boyd, 240 acres in Orange, on the west side of Blue Ridge, on branch of Stony Creek, Mr. Burden's road.
  • Page 269.--Patent to John Bumbordner (Bumgardner), 25th September, 1746, on head spring of Honey Lick Branch. Patented to Patrick Frazer, 12th May 1770. Delivered: Hugh McCawley. 29th September, 1792. (Note: this patent for 400 acres (as shown in other records) was located on "Stoney Lick Branch", a tributary of the north branch of the Shenandoah River).
  • Pg. 189-190. Indenture 27 June 1745 between Richard Mauldin of Orange County, and William Burk of same... for five shillings.. sells 350 acres in Orange County in that part called Augusta on both sides of Shannando River at the upper end of the said Mauldin's.. (signed) Richard Mauldin (Seal). Witnesses: Abraham (X) Edings, James (R) Putnam, Jemima (her mark) Thornton. Recorded Orange County 26 July 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 46]. (Note: as listed in the disposition, this land was near "Peaked Mountain").
  • Page 92.--Patent to Nicholas Cain, 20th August, 1747; corner Bernard McHenry, on North River of Shanando within the Gap of the Mountains. Delivered: Jno. Thomas, August Court, 1777.
  • Page 512.--19th March. 1755. James Trotter and Mary to Hugh Campbell £50, 268 acres on Naked Creek; Michael Dickey's line; conveyed to Trotter by James Wood, 18th August, 1749.
  • Page 522.--19th August, 1766. John Reaburn and Jean ( ) to Jacob Campbell, £__, 317 acres on Buffelo Draft, a branch of North River of Shanandore; corner Henry Leaburn. Delivered: Jacob Campbell, February, 1768.
  • Page 481.--17th August, 1757. Borden's executors to John Camplin (Kiplinger), £10, 156 acres, part of 800 acres above (part of 800 patented to Borden, 1746). (Note: 212 acres of Borden's 800 acres were sold to Conrad Lamb in the preceding record. The 800-acre tract, located on the North Branch of the Shenandoah River (where the river runs between the mountains (west of Broadway, Virginia, in present day Rockingham County)), was originally granted to Benjamin Borden in 1734).
  • John Caperton received a patent of 275 acres "between Shanandore and Picked Mountain" on 2 June 1760.
  • William Carroll of Augusta County, 600 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek, adj. Mary Newman, wid. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • William Carroll of Augusta County, 143 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. Adj. Carroll's other tract. Samuel Newman, John Ruddle the younger. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Pages 215-216. Know all men by these presents that I, John King, of Augusta County, grant certain peace of Meadow ground unto Adam Carruth of same county.. 8 acres, 3 roods of land being part.. containing 400 acres.. granted by Pattent dated 1 Dec. 1740 and in Secretaries Office in this Colony.. hath sold.. consideration of £7.10.0.. dated 6th May 1745. (signed) John King (Seal). Witnesses: Joseph Russell Junr., James Suggett. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 48]. (Note: a related record in Augusta County Records shows that this land was located "on a branch of Naked Creek; corner to John Seawright's land").
  • Page 95.--20th November, 1762. Nicholas Green, of Culpeper, to Wm. Chesnut, £132, 400 acres, part of 1700 acres granted to Robert Green, deceased, 15th March, 1744, on head branches of Muddy Creek, Daniel Callacahn's Meadow. Delivered: Gawin Hamilton, March Court, 1774.
  • Page 11.--18th November, 1772. William Chesnutt to son John Chesnutt, part of 400 acres conveyed to said William by Nicholas Green, on Muddy Creek; Wood's corner. Delivered: Jno. Chesnutt, 5th April, 1779.
  • Page 207.--3d May, 1754. Cornelius Ruddle and Ingabo, his wife, to James Claypool. On Beach's Creek patented to Wm. Rutledge 20th August, 1754, and conveyed by Rutledge to Ruddle, 237 acres. Cornelius Ruddle, Ingebo Ruddle. (Note: Beach's Creek is a branch of Brock's Creek).
  • James Claypool, Jr. was patented 240 acres of land "at head of Cedar Branch" on 15th December, 1757.
  • Page 667.--21st August, 1764. Christopher ( ) Thompson and Mary ( ) to Jacob Conrod (Conrad), £30, 95 acres on Cook's Creek; corner McDonald's line and one Fisher's survey. Teste: Archibald Huston, Daniel Love, James Thompson.
  • Dec. 15, 1749 - Benjamin Copeland purchased 400 acres on the branch of the north fork of Shenandoah called Buffalo Spring.
  • Page 315.--21st May, 1760. Alvanis Byor and Barbara ( ) to Jno. Couts, £20, 140 acres, part of 280 patented to Alvanis, 10th August, 1759, on a branch between Shanando and Peaked Mountain. Delivered: Jno. Counts, March, 1762.
  • Page 125.--16th May, 1759. Robt. Cravens to his son. Joseph Cravens, £5, 59 acres, part of 200 on a branch of Cook's Creek patented to Robert, 10th February, 1748. Signed. Robt. ( ) Cravens. Teste: Samuel Downey. Delivered: Robt. Cravens, 14th August, 1772.
  • Page 362.--19th May, 1762. John Trimble and Mary ( ) to Henry Criswell (Cresswell), 400 acres on southemost branch of North River of Shanando, on Stony Lick Branch. Acknowledged and privy examination of Mary.
  • Page 325.--19th September, 1780. Edward Erwin (Irvine) and Mary, to Benj. Crow. of Rockingham, part of 400 acres patented to Alex. Brownlee, 12th June, 1749. Teste: James Gauy (Guy), Francis Mara, Robert ( ) Gregg.
  • Page 602.--17th May, 1764. John Cunningham and Margret to Patrick Cunningham, his son, £20, 230 acres on Thorny Branch; corner William Cunningham's land. Teste: Daniel Kidd, John King, George Anderson. Delivered: Edward Erwin, Jr., May, 1767.
  • William Cunningham received a patent for 350 acres "on Thorny Branch of North River of Shanandoah, corner Benj. Copeland's land, John Crosby's land" on 10th August 1759.
  • Dr. Robert Curry purchased 200 acres on Naked Creek near John Young's and friend, George Glenn's land in Augusta Co., VA on Mar 10, 1748/49.
  • Page 90 - John Davison, 225 acres, Dry River. Adjoining Abraham Smith, Stephenson. November 6, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 33].
  • Page 460.--400 acres "on head of a branch of North River of Shanado (Shenandoah River) called Mossey Creek", patented to David Davis. 12th February, 1741.
  • John Davies was granted two patents for land in 1748. The first was for 350 acres on Mossy Creek and on both sides of North River. One corner of this grant was near a "round hill" (Round Hill) and was adjacent to land granted to Hugh Diver (Dever). The second tract consisted of 105 acres on both sides of Mossy Creek. [Source: "A History of Mossy Creek Presbyterian Church", by Charles William Blair, pg. 40].
  • Page 47 - John Davis, 144 acres, between his own land and Francis Erwin. June 6, 1785. [Source: Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791 [Augusta & Rockingham Counties], by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 114].
  • Page 2.--18th November, 1760. John Capbritton (Caperton) and Mary to Christian Dedor (signed Caperton), £15, 275 acres between Shanandore and Picked Mountain, patented to John, 2d June, 1760; cor. to survey of Peter Sellars Delivered: Andrew Lewis, 11th July, 1785.
  • Page 339.--28th November, 1749. Hugh Dever to Charles Dever, 119 acres. Corner to above. Corner Daniel Smith. Corner John Davis, Beaver Creek.
  • Page 227.--20th November, 1759. Charles ( ) Dever to John Diver (Dever), £47, 119 acres on North River, Sharando; corner James Ramsey; corner John Davis, opposite mouth of Bear Creek. (Note: same tract as referenced in record above).
  • Michael Dickey acquired two tracts "on head branches of Naked Creek" of 350 and 170 acres, prior to August 1749, as shown in Chalkley's records.
  • Page 351.--18th May, 1768. Michael Dickey and Mary to James Dickey, his son, £40, 160 acres, part of two tracts surveyed for Michael, one containing 350 acres, the other 170 acres on head branches of Naked Creek. Delivered: James Dickey, June, 1771.
  • G-391: Capt. John Dobkin (Dobbins) of Augusta County, 400 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Holeman's Creek, 2 August 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 42].
  • Page 210.--2d July, 1755. Thomas Beall, of Frederick County, Maryland, planter, to Jonathan Douglas, weaver, 400 acres on a branch of Broad Run on a draft of Brock's Creek. Teste: Silas Hart, Gabriel Pickens, Daniel Smith. Delivered: grantee, 1760.
  • Jonathan Douglas received a patent of 400 acres "on head of Broad Run, a branch of North River of Shanando, cor. Nicholas Mace" on 11 July 1761, according to Chalkley's.
  • Page 305.--8th May, 1776. John Boyd, formerly of Augusta County, to Joseph Douglass, tract patented to Robert Boyd 20th September, 1768, and vested in John as son and right heir of Robert on head of Fisher's Creek, a branch of North River of Shanando; corner Hugh Douglass. Teste: Hugh Donaghe, Thomas Patterson, John Reaburn. William Magill. John Huston. Nathaniel Douglass.
  • Page 225.--21st May, 1747. William Burk to Henry Downs, Gent., £85 current money Virginia; 350 acres on Shenandoe River at the upper end of 2,000 acres that did belong to Richard Malden near Peaked Mountain; corner to Paul Long; Selsor's line. Witnesses, Adam Muller, Barbara Miller, Jno. Edwards. Acknowledged, 21st May 1747.
  • Page 5.--10th February, 1745 (1746). Alexander Thompson to Henry Downs, Sr., of Orange, £60.8.4; 300 acres on both sides South River, Shanando; part of 400 acres of land Alexander now lives on, granted to Alexander 8th July, 1742. Witnesses Thomas Lewis, Jno. Beanham, Jr.; John Nicholas. Acknowledged, 10th February 1745. Note: this transaction immediately follows:
  • Page 278.--19th August, 1747. Henry Downs, Gent., of Orange County, to Henry Downs, Jr., of Augusta, £60.8.4; 300 acres on South River Shanando, part of tract Henry, Jr., now lives on; patented to Alexander Thompson for 400 acres, 30th July, 1742. Teste: John Harvie, Jno. Ruddle, Jr.; G. Jones. Acknowledged, 19th August, 1747.
  • Edward Erwin, Sr. acquired 350 acres of land in Augusta County on 6 April, 1748, on "Long Glade", North Branch, Shenandoah River.
  • Page 211.--21st November, 1759. John ( ) Cozby (Cosby) and Elizabeth ( ) to Edward Erwin, Jr., £26, 400 acres on north side southermost branch of North River, Shanando, conveyed to John by Alexander Brownlee, 20th August, 1755. Delivered: Edward Erwin, May, 1767.
  • Page 498.--19th August, 1766. Patrick Cunningham to Edward Erwin, £80, 230 acres on Thorney Branch; corner William Cunningham's land. Delivered: Edward Erwin, Jr., May, 1767.
  • John Erwin received a patent for 400 acres "on Long Glade, a branch of North River, Shanando; corner Francis Erwin" on 16th August 1756.
  • Page 472.--3d June, 1762. George Bigham, late of Augusta, to Robert Erwin, yeoman, £32.6, 251 acres on Muddy Creek of Shanando. Teste: Andrew Cowan, Robert Hamilton and James ( ) McNabb. Acknowledged, 17th August, 1762. Delivered: Francis Erwin, 9th July, 1773.
  • Land Grant Survey: Page 4 - Windle Evert, 300 acres, Naked Creek. Adjoining Blows. September 30, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 2].
  • Page 413.—14th August, 1753. Thomas Waterson and Mary to John Fowler, 120 acres patented to Thomas 12th January, 1746, on North River Shannando, crossing Cook's Creek. Teste: Robert Wilson, Samuel McKune.
  • Page 768.--19th March, 1766. Patrick Fraizer (Frazier) and Mary to John Fraizer, his son, £10, 110 acres, part of 400 acres patented to John Baumgardner, 25th September, 1746. and conveyed by him to Patrick, 19th August, 1760, on head branches of Stony Lick, a branch of Shanandore. Teste: William Christian, Jr. Delivered: John Frazier, August, 1768.
  • Page 90.--8th February, 1750-1. David Maggard and Daniel Weitreith of Frederick, to John Fudge. Delivered: to Geo. Zimmerman, June, 1754. 300 acres on Shanando joining Wm. Philips. Teste: John Hopes, John Funk, Jr., Mathias Seltzer.
  • Page 364.--14th August, 1753. Robert Shankland, Sr., to John Fulton, 1753. Cor. Jacob Dye, North Mountain, patented 1746, 300 acres. Teste: Ro. Ralstone, Ephraim Love, Jno. Thomas.
  • Pg. 199-202. Indenture 7 May 1745 between Thomas Rutherford of County of Frederick and James Gill of County of Augusta .. for five shillings.. parcel of land in County of Augusta on the North River of the Shannendo above the Great Plains, containing 400 acres of land.. granted to Thomas Rutherford by Pattent 30 June 1731.. (signed) Thos. Rutherford (seal). Witnesses: Andrew Campbell, James Porteus, Jno. Newport, Wm. Russell, Wm. Green. Proved and recorded 23 May 1745, Orange County. Payment of ₤80 Pennsylvania money.. release acknowledged. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 47].
  • Thomas Gillespie acquired "400 acres on Long Glade, a draft of North River of Janendo (s/b Shanando); head of a draft of Naked Creek" (likely a patent), prior to 8 January, 1746.
  • In 1794, Isaac Glass purchased 148 acres on Lick Run, a branch of North River in Augusta County, which he later sold in 1813.
  • Page 118 - Land Survey for John Gordon, 318 acres, Muddy Creek. Adjoining Thomas Shanklin, Archibald Hopkins, James Woods, and his own land. November 25, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 43].
  • G-387: Peter Gortner (Cotner) of Augusta County, 368 acres in said County, on Holeman's Creek. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. Adjoining George Brock (Broock), Thomas Holeman, Archibald Ruddle. 1 Aug. 1750. {Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 42].
  • Henry Gohenour, no warrant - 1 Nov. 17_(torn) (prob. 1750) - date of grant - 20 Oct. 1750; 300 acres on North branch of Narrow Passage a branch of Shannandoah. Chain Carriers - Abraham Dilbeck & George Mowry. Surv. John Baylis. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 24].
  • Jacob Gohenhour, no warrant - 2 Nov. 1750; 400 acres on branch of Stovers Run a branch of North Shannandoa; adj. George Mowery. Chain Carriers - Abraham Dilbeck & George Mowery. Surv. John Baylis. On reverse of survey, "to be drawn & charged to Mr. Lewis Stephens." [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 24].
  • Henry Creybill (Grabill), assignee of Henry Miller; 8 Dec. 1749 - 16 Mar. 1749/50; 205 acres; Henry Miller requests survey of waste land where he lives on North River of Shannandoah, bought of Wm. McKenny & within Hites claim. (Note: Henry Miller's request signed). Chain Carriers - Christian Wallter & Frederick Dillow. Martin Funk present on survey. Surv. George Byrne. (deed drawn in name of John Creybill). [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 22].
  • John Crybiel (Grabill), 7 Dec. 1749 - 16 Mar. 1749/50; 72 acres on North River of Shannandoah opposite to land settled by Christian Hogman/Hockman. Chain Carriers - Christian Wallter & Fredrich Dellines. Capt. John Funk present on survey. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 23].
  • Page 166.--16th February, 1763. William Wilson and Agness to Robert Gragg, £20, 200 acres, part of 400 acres on North Fork of North River of Shanandoe patented to William, 25th March, 1752; David Williams' land. Delivered: Frederick Michael, 7th March, 1792.
  • Page 258.--19th May, 1767. William Shannon and Jean ( ) to Robert Gragg, £35, 100 acres, part of 400 patented to William Humphrey, 25th June, 1747, and by him conveyed to Henry Smith, and by him to Wm. Shannon, on North River Shanando, white oak on Castle Hill. Teste: Samuel McFeeters, Moses Hall, John ( ) Cozby. Delivered: Frederick Michael, 7th March, 1792.
  • Page 237 - 86 acres patented to Abel Griffith on Mossey Creek, 1st March, 1773. 316 acres on Mossey Creek, patented to Abel Griffith, 1st March, 1781, joining Thomas Reed; 160 acres patented to same on same day.
  • Page 144 - Daniel Grub, 88 acres, Smiths Creek. Adjoining Harmantrout (Armentrout), Bell. May 25, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 51-52].
  • Page 40 - Jacob Grubb, a tract of land, North side of the Peaked Mountain on a Branch of Smiths Creek. Adjoining Harrison, Grub, his own land. May 3, 1765. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 16].
  • Vol. 2 - 1749, September 5th--Moses Hall, 150 (acres), on Pudding Spring; surveyed.
  • Page 433.--On Pudding Spring Draft, patented to Moses Hall (wife Honore), 16th August, 1756, 12th February, 1755. Delivered: John McDougal, 25th March, 1791, for Mr. Hogshead.
  • * Page 96.--17th November, 1767. Abraham Smith (and Sarra) to James Hanna, £5. (This is a deed of B. and S., but recites a lease prior which does not appear of record at this place.) 150 acres; corner Hugh Diver's land. Teste: William Crow, James Hill, Benj. Keys. [Note: Other records indicate that this tract was located on Briery Branch, a tributary of the North Branch, Shenandoah River]
  • Page 118 - Land Grant Survey: James Hanna, 300 acres, Briery Branch. Adjoining James Diver and his own land. June 24, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 43]. [Note: other records listed indicate that Briery Branch was a tributary of the North Branch, Shenandoah River. This tract appears to be adjoining the tract he acquired from Abraham Smith in the preceding year]
  • Daniel Harrison received a patent of 400 acres "on head of Dry Fork of Smith's Creek", 20th August 1741
  • Page 752.--19th November, 1764. Thomas Harrison and Sarah to Jeremiah Harrison, £__, 212 acres on Dry Fork of Smith's Creek.
  • Page 336.--23d June, 1763. Jonathan Douglas to Daniel Harrison, £40, 306 acres, part of two tracts of 400 acres each, whereof Nicholas and Henry Mace and Patrick Quin possess the other part, the one tract granted to Jonathan by Thomas Beal, of Frederick County, Maryland, 1755; the other patented to Jonathan, 11th July, 1761, on head of Broad Run, a branch of North River of Shanandoe, whereon said Douglas now lives Mortgage.
  • Page 253.—22d August, 1749. Daniel Davison, yeoman, and Phoebe, to Zebulon Harrison, yeoman. Daniel James's branch. Delivered: John Harrison, November, 1756. 46 acres patented to Daniel Davison, 25th September, 1746. Witnesses: John Denton and John Phillips. Teste: John Den- ton, Jr., Robert Breckenridge, John Phillips.
  • Page 258.—22nd August, 1749. Same as above (Daniel Davison, yeoman, and Phoebe, to Zebulon Harrison, yeoman). Phoebe, wife of Daniel, on Smith's Creek. Stephen Howorth's line. 156 acres, patented to Daniel, 25th September, 1746.
  • Page 101.—19th November, 1766. Benj. Logan to Jacob Hornbarrier (Harnsbarger), £40, 160 acres on North River Shanandore. patented to Wm. Brown, 11th July, 1761. and by him conveyed to Benj., below mouth of Cook's Creek. Delivered: Jacob Hornberry (Hornberger), November, 1768.
  • Page 450.--28th October, 1765. Charles Crosson (Cresson) and Martha to William Harshman, £200, 230 acres on Shanandore River. Teste: Conrad Bloss. Wm. Owler, Michael Coker (Coger).
  • Page 250.—6th June, 1749. John Smith, Gent., to Silas Hart, mason, 400 acres on South Fork of North River of Shannadore. James Wood's line. Patented to John, 25th June, 1747. Margaret, John's wife, releases dower. Teste: John Thompson, John Poage, John Archer.
  • Adam Haverstock received a patent of 235 acres on Brock's Creek, corner Rees Thomas on 7th July 1763.
  • Page 38 - Samuel Hemphills, 43 acres, East Branch Cooks Creek. Betwen his own land and Thomas Harrison land. February 15, 1764. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 15].
  • Page 141 - Samuel Hemphell, 125 acres, East Draft of Cooks Creek. Adjoining Harrison. November 15, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 51].
  • Page 437.--16th May, 1768. Charles Smith and Margarett to Alexander Henderson, of Albemarle County, £40, two tracts on Dry River, a branch of North River of Shanandore--A, containing 165 acres conveyed to Charles by Samuel Henderson, 17th November, 1762; B, containing 117 acres conveyed to same by same; corner Daniel Smith's land. Delivered: Samuel Henderson. February, 1774.
  • LAND ENTRY BOOK NO. 1, AUGUSTA COUNTY. 1750, November 29th--Daniel Henderson, 100 (acres), on Spring Creek, joining Hugh Diver's entry of this date, two rights; 100, on Dry River Bottom, at a place called the Pond, two rights; 50 on Bever Creek, at the Big Spring, with one right.
  • 7th August, 1761 - 650 acres on Beaver and Spring Creek were patented to Daniel Henderson,
  • Page 469.--26th July, 1753. Francis Puicer (Puison, Puiser) and Sarah, of Rowan County, North Carolina, to John Hinton (Henton), 1753, 236 acres on Muddy Creek. Teste: Joseph and John Bryan and Paul Kuster.
  • Page 295.--19th April, 1763. William McMullin and Mary ( ) to John Hinds, £65, 120 acres on North Branch North River Shanando called Woods Creek. Teste: Jonathan Douglass. Delivered: John Hinds, May 11, 1764.
  • Samuel Newman sold 210 acres to Jacob Hodgh (Hodge), 21st June, 1763, patented to Samuel on 29 August, 1757, on Smith's Creek.
  • 2 August 1750 - Grant to Daniel Holeman of Augusta County of 395 acres on the north river of Shannondoah ... west side of Cedar Hill ... land surveyed for John Ruddle junr. ... to the river side ... land of Doctr. Henry Naffe ... [Northern Neck Grants, pg. 393].
  • 2 August 1750 - Grant to Daniel Holeman of Augusta County of 420 acres on the west side of the North river of Shannondoah ... bank of the said river and at the lower end of the said Holeman's plantation ... Jacob Holeman's line ... [Northern Neck Grants, pg. 394].
  • 2 August 1750 - Grant to Daniel Holeman of Augusta of 130 acres on the North river of Shannondoah ... near the North River side ... line of said Holeman's other survey ... to the river side ...[Northern Neck Grants, pg. 395]
  • 3 February 1749/50 - Grant to Jacob Holeman of Augusta County of 420 acres on Holeman's Creek where he had begun a settlement ... south east side of a branch of Holeman's Creek ... head of a valley ... foot of a hill ... [Northern Neck Grants, pg. 359].
  • 3 February 1749/50 - Grant to Thomas Holeman of Augusta County of 428 acres, a tract where he lives on the south fork of Holeman's Creek ... corner to George Brook ... Peter Gortner's survey ... Mary Hill's line ... Ruddle's line ... [Northern Neck Grants, pg. 358].
  • Page 390.--16th March, 1757. William ( ) Castleberry and Margaret ( ), his wife, to Ersbald (Archibald) Hopkins (delivered Archibald Hopkins, May, 1763), £130, 350 acres on Muddy Creek.
  • Page 244.--22d June, 1763. Thomas Campbell to Archibald Hopkins, £7, on Muddy Creek of North River, 40 acres; corner to land now or formerly Robt. Raulston's. Teste: John Poage, Richard Shanklin, James Hughes.
  • Page 352.--17th September, 1763. John Megarry and Sarah by James Greer, attorney, to Archibald Hopkins (John, formerly of Augusta, but now of North Carolina), £40, 170 acres on Muddy Creek on a line of Pincher's old place. Teste: John Archer, Wm. Hyde. Delivered to Thomas Hopkins, the grandson of grantee, who produced the original patent for the same lands in testimony of his right to have the same as per receipt filed with the deeds of this same date, 19th January, 1814. (Receipt says Thomas is entitled to the land by devise from Archibald, his grandfather.)
  • Page 533.--20th August, 1761. William Hopkins and Elizabeth to John Hopkins, £20, 200 acres, part of 258 acres conveyed to William by Cap. Ephraim Love, on a branch of Muddy Creek; cor. between William and John Hopkins; cor. Ephraim Love. Teste: Daniel and Ephraim Love.
  • Page 443.--17th June, 1771. Ephraim Love to John Hopkins, on head branches of Muddy Creek, part of tract whereon said Love now lives. Teste: Silas Hart, Daniel Smith, Jno. Grattan, Jno. Steed, Jno. Gorden.
  • Page 234.--18th May, 1773. Jacob ( ) Trumbo and Mary ( ) to Michael Hover, patent to Cornelius Murley, 16th June, 1744, and by him conveyed to Jacob, 24th June, 1752.
  • Page 193.--11th December, 1746. James Gill and Eleanor, his wife, late of Orange County, to Edward Hughes, £25 current money Pennsylvania; on a branch of North River of Shanando called Waitings Creek, 186 acres. Witnesses, Samuel Bryan, Morgan Bryan, Jr.; John Ellis, Eleanor ( ) Gill. Proved by all witnesses, 18th March, 1746.
  • Page 518.--17th May, 1768. John ( ) Blizard and Ruth to Andrew Hulings, £20, between Bird land and Smith's Creek, part of 400 acres patented to Swan Rambo; corner old patent and John Philips; Andrew Bird's line; 30 acres. Teste: Andrew Bird, John Phillips, Edward Sampson. Delivered: Andrew Huling, May, 1773.
  • Page 546.--3d May, 1763. Benjamin Kinley to Martin Humble, £16, 215 acres adjoining Rees Thomas and Daniel Harrison, and a survey of said Benjamin Kinley commonly called the Sinking Spring. Teste: Robert Morris, Conrad Humble, A. Hamilton.
  • Page 152.--13th August, 1759. James ( ) Baggs and Elizabeth ( ) to Uriah Humble, £25, 220 acres in Brock's Gap of North Mountain patented to James and lies on side of Third Hill upon Dry River, a branch of Shanando. Teste: James Johnson, Johannis Keplinger. Delivered: Uriah, April, 1765.
  • Page 322.--18th June, 1770. Uriah Humble and Charity ( ) to his son, Conrad Humble, £30, 220 acres in Brock's Gap on Dry River patented to James Baggs, 12th January, 1746, and by him conveyed to Uriah. Teste: Jacob Miller, Conrad Custer, John Thomas. Delivered: Jno. Ruddle, 10th May, 1784.
  • Page 178.--15th March, 1774. John Jackson and Martha ( ) to John Hunter, on a branch of North River of Shanando, called Vails Spring, joining lands of Borden and Shoemaker, patented to said John Jackson, 16th February, 1771.
  • John Jackson received a patent (# of acres not specified) on "North River of Shanando, called Vails Spring, joining lands of Borden and Shoemaker" on 16 February 1771.
  • G-238: William James of Augusta Co., 315 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek, adj. Samuel Luske, (also adj. John Ruddle). 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Page 586.--28th February, 1749. Daniel Harrison, Gent., to Arthur Johnston, 190 acres; 10 acres; Cook's Creek (Harrison's stonehouse).
  • Page 333.--3d August, 1772. Michael ( ) Hover and Barbere ( ) to Nicholas Karin (Kearn, Kern), 335 acres patented to Rudolph Mack 30th August, 1763, on north side of the North Fork of Shenandore, on head of Fort Run; corner Frederick Woolfort.
  • Page 406.--17th August, 1773. William Samples and Sarah ( ) to George Kersner, on Brock's Creek, 235 acres patented to Adam Hoverstick, 7th July, 1763. Teste: Henry Runyon, Obediah ( ) Muncy.
  • John King received a patent for 400 acres (location not listed) on 1 Dec. 1740, (Note: a related record in Augusta County shows this tract was located "on a branch of Naked Creek", a tributary of the North Branch of the Shenandoah River).
  • Francis Kirtley acquired, prior to April 1748, 400 acres on a draft of North River of Shanandoe called the Long Glade joining James Anderson's and James Cathey's,
  • Page 443.--19th August, 1767. Same (Thomas ( ) Burk and Clerey ( )) to Francis Kerkley (Kirtley) gent., £350, two tracts, A containing 220 acres on Shanandore, oak by mouth of Dry Run, McCoumus's corner; B containg 200 acres adjoining former, deeded to Wm. Burk, 23d February, 1743. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, 20th March, 1786.
  • Page 479.--16th August, 1757. Borden's executors to Conord (Conrad) Lamb, £10, 212 acres, part of 800 patented to Borden, 1746. Delivered: Geo. Kinder, 1767. (Note: the 800-acre tract, located on the North Branch of the Shenandoah River (where the river runs between the mountains (west of Broadway, Virginia, in present day Rockingham County)), was originally granted to Benjamin Borden in 1734. Source).
  • Pg. 112-114. Indenture 23 May 1744 between George Scott and Mary, his wife, of Orange County and William Lamb (Lamme) of same... for five shillings.. land in that part of Orange County called Augusta.. 370 acres.. north side of the North River of Shannando.. Stony Lick Branch granted to George Scott by Pattent bearing date 30 July 1730. . . .(signed) George Scott (seal) Mary (X) Scott (seal). Witnesses: James Pendleton, Jas. Porteus, J. Clayton. Lease acknowledged.. recorded 24 May 1744.. ₤26 paid and acknowledged. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 15].
  • Page 131.--16th February, 1750. Same (From James Wood, Wm. Russell and Wm. Green) to Henry Lanciscus (Lancisco), 310 acres on North and South Forks of North Branch of South Branch of Potomac, part of 660 acres; patented to grantors. Teste: John Sturman, 23d October, 1750. Fairfax's line.
  • Page 262.--20th May, 1755. William Russell, Wm. Green, of Culpeper, and James Wood, of Frederick, to Henry Lanciscus (Lancisco), £70, 350 acres remaining part of 660 acres granted, patented to grantors, west side South Branch, Lord Fairfax's line at mouth of North Fork. Delivered: Valentine Power, November, 1771.
  • Page 379— 20th September, 1763. John Cunningham and Margrett ( ) to Robert Law, £40, 200 acres, part of 400 acres patented to John, 5th April, 1749, on Thorney Branch. Teste: John Poage, James Fowler, John Cunningham. Delivered: Robert Law, 26th November, 1783.
  • James Leeper received three patents "on Naked Creek of North River Shanandore" on 26th April 1742 (# of acres not determined), 26 April 1746 (230 acres) and 12th July, 1746 (# of acres not determined), according to Chalkley's records.
  • Page 115.--16th May, 1759. James Leeper to his son, James Leeper. £5 on Naked Creek of North River patented to James, Sr.. one patent 12th July, 1746. part of patent 26th April 1746, containing 230 acres. Teste: Michael Dickey. Delivered Wm. McMullin, July 1761.
  • Page 118.--16th May, 1759. Same (From James Leeper) to son, Gawen Leeper, £5, on Naked Creek, part of two patents dated June 5, 1747. and April 26, 1742, 353 acres. Delivered: D. Laird by your order, July, 1763.
  • 20th August 1747 - Samuel Lockhart was patented 179 acres "on No. Riv. Shanandoe; Alexander Thompson's land".
  • Page 159.--10th April, 1751. Patent [for 400 acres] to Samuel Lockhart. Delivered: David Laird, 8th May, 1784.
  • Page 244.--4th September, 1765. John McMahan and Isabella of Frederick County, to Benj. Logan, £100, 400 acres on North River of Shanandow on the next spring branch below the mouth of Cooks Creek. Delivered: George Mallo, March, 1773.
  • Page 153 - Thomas Looker, 165 acres on east side of Smiths Creek. Adjoining his old corner. June 1, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 55].
  • Page 265.—22d August, 1749. William Lamb (Lamme) to John Lynd, Gent. Shannadore. 320 acres on No. Br. No. Riv. Robert Scott's land. Stoney Lick Branch. Teste: Gabriel Pickins and Robert Scott.
  • Page 272.---15th March, 1769. Peter Miller and Mary ( ) to Charles Long, £50, 248 acres on Stony Run, corner Barnet Man, Hermon's line. Delivered: Conrod Levingston. 26th April, 1785.
  • Henry Long received a patent for 250 acres "between Picked Mountain and Shenandore River, Jacob Hannon's line, corner Peter (?) Miller's land" on 20th August 1760.
  • Daniel Love received a patent for 280 acres on Cook's Creek on 16th August, 1746.
  • Daniel Love, 53 acres, Branch of Cooks Creek. Between Cravens and his own land. February 15, 1764. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 15].
  • Page 16.—29th July, 1748. Jacob Dye and wife Mary, farmer, to Ephraim Love, late of Lancaster County, Penna. Delivered: Wm. Hopkins, 5th March, 1753. Muddy Creek; corner Daniel Harrison, Wm. White, Wm. Carroll.
  • Vol. 2 - 1750, November 28th-- Ephraim Love, 50 acres, joining Shanklin, with one right; 50 on a branch of Muddy Creek, near Harrison's meadow, with one right.
  • Page 279. - 6th April, 1753. James Downing and Mary to John Love, 1753 on Smith Creek; corner John Love's land, near land of John Davison, 175 acres. Teste: Thomas Milsap.
  • * Northern Neck Survey: Samuel Lusk, 19 Jan. 1748 - 17 Apr. 1749; 404 acres on Smiths Creek where he now lives; adj. his own line, Samuel Newman's survey, the [Great] Waggon Road. Chain Carriers - William James & Nichles Seehon (?) [sic, s/b Seahorn]. William Carroll present. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 27].
  • G-233: Samuel Lusk of Augusta County, 404 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek, adj. Samuel Newman, by Waggon Road. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • James McCarroll received a patent for 275 acres "on a branch of North River of Shanando. Cor. David Lojo. (prob. Logan)" on 5 July 1751.
  • Page 287.—18th September, 1749. James Armstrong (Malster) and Jane to Robert McClenachan, Gent. Corner James Caldwell. Corner John Madison, Gent. Jane, wife of James. 310 acres on Christian's Creek. Teste: John Madison, Da. Stewart.
  • Page 201 - John McClure, 300 acres, North River. Adjoining Hugh Duglass, John Logan, John McGill, William Herron, Morris. Mentioned that the line runs to the mouth of Dry River. July 14, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
  • Page 237.--Patent to John and James McCoy, 5th September, 1762, 320 acres on Mossey Creek.
  • Vol. 2 - 1751, April 14th-- John McGreery (McCreary), 300 (acres), on Muddy Creek, joining Robt. Caldwell and Aaron Oliver (c. g. e. p.).
  • Page 5.--John Hopes to Randolph McDonald (McDowell), on Cook's Crek, 200 acres; patented to John Hopes, 5th September, 1479 [sic]. Teste: Andrew Erwin, Thomas Stevenson.
  • Page 172 - Mathias McGlammery, 590 acres, Smith Creek. Adjoining Harrison, Needham. NOvember 2, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 62].
  • Page 102.—Robert Green, of Orange County, to Robert McKay, of Augusta, and Jost Hite, of Frederick. Bond in £3000 dated 18th June, 1746. Whereas, Robert McCay, Jost Hite, Robert Green, and Wm. Duff, deceased, did in lifetime of Duff obtain order of Council for one tract of 3,060 acres on north branch of Shanando; one tract of 9,860 acres in a hollow of the mountains in the fork of Shanando; one tract of 2,200 acres on north branch of Shanando; one tract of 7,000 acres on south branch of Shanando; one tract of 891 acres on north branch of Shanando; one tract of 310 acres on south branch of Shanando (in order for the more speedy conveying same to purchasers). Parties agree that patent should be made to Robert Green. Condition that Robert make proper conveyances to purchasers and one moiety of the residue to the other parties. Witnesses, Jno. Smith, Thos. Stevenson, Jno. Hite. Acknowledged, 18th June, 1746.
  • Page 68.--20th August, 1748. Henry Downs, Gent., and Jane, to John McKemey (McKinney) farmer, 388 acres on north branch Shanando at end of Buckhill. (See infra, last entry from this book.) Teste: Ro. Rennick. (b. bef. 1709, prob. Scotland/Ireland, d. 24 Nov. 1760, Augusta County, VA).
  • Page 404.--21st August, 1771. John McKemey and Agness to William McKemey son to said John, £100, 107 acres, part of tract conveyed to John by Henry Downs, on branch of North River of Shanando, at end of Buckhill. Teste: Thomas Woddall, John Hogshead, Alex. Kilpatrick. Delivered: William McKemy. 19th June, 1772.
  • Page 57, November 17, 1763. William McNees - 200 acres between John Magills on the North side of North River joining Shanklie's land. [Augusta County Land Entry Book 1]
  • March 16, 1764, Survey for William McNees - 159 acres lying on the head of the West branch of Cook's Creek joining Craven's and Hemphill's.
  • Page 477.--22d February, 1747. £11.5.0. David Davis to Wm. McFetters (McPheeters, 400 acres patented to David, 12th February, 1742, on head of a branch of North River of Shanado called Mossey Creek. Teste: John Madison, Andrew Lewis, David Stuart. Proved by all, 16th March, 1747.
  • Page 386.--19th August, 1760. Same (Jonathan Douglas and Jemima ( ) ) to Henry Mace, £5, 34 acres, part of 400 above; cor. Robert Poage. Delivered: Geo. Skileron, 1761.
  • Page 432.--23d August, 1754. Jacob Stover, Jr., of Lunenburg, and William Russell, of Culpeper, to John Madison, £6, 200 acres of Shanando River, part of 5,000 acres patented to Jacob Stover, Sr.; corner to Francisco's land; line of land formerly belonging to John Bumgardner.
  • David Maggard and Daniel Weitreith received a patent of 300 acres (perhaps more) "on north side Shanando joining Wm. Philips" on 1st June, 1741,
  • Page 382.--19th August, 1760. Jonathan Douglas and Jemima ( ) to Nicholos Mase, £15, 160 acres on Broad Run near Linvell's Creek, part of 400 surveyed for Thos. Beal and conveyed to Jonathan, 1755; cor. to that part of tract surveyed to Henry Mace; cor. John Fare. Teste: Michael Hogshead, Margaret Woods. Delivered: Geo. Skelerom, 25th April, 1761.
  • Barnet Mann received a land patent for 200 acres (or possibly more) "on Stony Run", a tributary of the Shenandoah River near Peaked Mountain, on 12th May 1759.
  • Page 469.--21st May, 1766. Bamet (s/b Barnet) Man and Margret ( ) to George Man, £20, 100 acres, part of tract patented to Barnet, 12th May, 1759, on Stoney Run, corner Jacob Man's land. Teste: Jacob Parsinger, Steven Conrod, John Man.
  • Page 472.--21st May, 1766. Same (From Barnet Mann and Margaret) to Jacob Man, £20, 100 acres, part of above patented tract on Stoney Run.
  • Page 267.--14th March, 1769. Jacob ( ) Parsinger and Cathrine ( ) to Nicholas Millberry, £70, 240 acres on Cub Run of Shanando, Charles Rush's line; Courtz's line; corner Patrick Wilson; corner Pound's land, part of Stevens' patent conveyed to Christophel Francisco and to Peter Hull, and to Jacob Parsenger. Delivered: Peter Rush, 20th August, 1787.
  • Alexander Miller, 175 acres, Cooks Creek. Adjoining Benjamin Harrison, Daniel Loves, William Bowyers and his own land. December 1, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 51].
  • Thomas Millsaps acquired a tract of 400 acres prior to February 1747, which was located between Smith's Creek and Limestone Ridge, adjoining a tract belonging to Andrew Bird.
  • Page 215.--12th May, 1762. Charles Crosson (Cresson) and Christina (signed Corous, Croson) to Jacob Mayer (Moyer), £70, 380 acres on east side of Shanadore on Naked Creek. Teste: Augustin ( ) Price. Henery ( ) Price, Thomas Burk. Delivered: Jacob Maver, March, 1770.
  • Page 167 - John Monger, 84 acres, North side of the Shenandoah River. Adjoining Francis Kerkley and his own land. April 30, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 61].
  • Page 443.---19th November, 1771. William Oaler (Aylor) to William Munger (Monger, Manger), £4, 250 acres, part of 1,900 acres patented 16th September, 1765. one Windleverley's corner; Adam Boyer's corner; one Strickler's corner. Delivered to order of grantee's heirs, 6th September, 1804.
  • Page 152 - John Needham, 144 acres, both sides of Smith's Creek below William Hinton. Adjoining Reuben Harrison, Zebulon Harrison. May 21, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 54-55].
  • G-390: Dr. John Henry Naffe of Augusta County, 470 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On North River of Shannondoah, adj. Daniel Holeman, John Ruddle, Sr., William James, Samuel Lusk. 2 Aug. 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 42].
  • H-449: Dr. John Henry Neff of Augusta County, 200 acres in Augusta County. Surv. Rob't Rutherford. Adjoining George Nicholas on North Mountain. 20 June 1754. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 75].
  • Samuel Newman received a patent of 200 acres from Lord Thomas Fairfax on Smith's Creek, prior to 12 July 1750.
  • Page 349.--26th July, 1753. Thomas Moore and Mary to Samuel Newman, Smith Creek. From Fairfax to Newman and by Newman to Moore, 200 acres. Teste: Wm. Carrel and John Hughes.
  • Samuel Newman received a patent of 210 acres on 29th August, 1757, on Smith's Creek
  • Page 430.--19th January, 1779. Nicholas Leeper by George Seawright, his attorney, to John Oliver. Gawin Leaper, late of Augusta, sold to John Oliver 66 acres patented to James Leeper, father to said Gawen, 5th June, 1747. James died intestate and land became vested in Nicholas Leeper as heir (?). (Note: this land was located on "Naked Creek", as shown below).
  • Page 433.--18th January, 1785. John Oliver and Sarah ( ) to James Oliver, his son, tract on Naked Creek where said Oliver now lives.
  • G-370: John O'Neal(Nale) of Augusta County, 502 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrn. On North River Shannondoah, adj. Lord Fairfax. 14 July 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 41].
  • Page 445.-- 1757. Same (Adam Rader and Barbara (signed in German, Adam Rader, Bora ( ) Rädjiou)) to Alex. Painter, £50, 250 acres, part of 480 acres above (part of 400 acres on North River of Shanando, patented to Cornelius Robinson, 15th March, 1744, and conveyed by him to Adam), a corner made for the division of Mathias Rader's part. Delivered: George Skiliron, 13th March, 1761.
  • Page 437.--2d August, 1761. Adam Reder and Barbary ( ) to Alexander Painter, £5, adjoining land said Paitner lives on. Raider's old patent, 20 acres. Teste: Burr Harrison, Robert Peyton, Andrew ( ) Trumboer.
  • Page 213.--14th May, 1771. Alexander Painter and Margaret ( ) to Christly Painter, £100. parts of several tracts patented to said Alexander, on waters of North River of Shannndoah. Thomas Moore's survey, crossing Fort Run, corner land purchased by Alexander from Adnm Raider, containing 279 acres. Delivered: Christly Painter. November Court, 1773.
  • 1750, April 2d--John Patterson, 50 (acres), with one right, joining his own land on Naked Creek.
  • Page 235.--10th May, 1754. James McCarroll to Valentine Pence, 275 acres by patent 5th July, 1751, on a branch of North River of Shanando. Cor. David Lojo (prob. Logan).
  • Page 30.--14th August, 1769. Michael Hover and Barbara ( ) to Peter Pannenger (Pennenger), all parties of Frederick County, £25, 100 acres, part of 335 acres patented to Rudolph Mauck, 30th August, 1763, and by him conveyed to Michael on North Branch of Shannandore, corner Charles Long. Teste: Daniel Smith, Adam ( ) Hoverstick, Peter Churo. Delivered: Peter Panninger, 12th August, 1771.
  • May 29, 1767 - Conrad Peterfish acquired 86 acres of land on the north side of the Shenandoah River.
  • Page 163.--2d November, 1768. Thomas ( ) Burk and Clearey ( ) to Conrad Peterfish, £14, 177 acres on Dry River, branch of Shanandore, patented to said Burk, line of land patented for John and Lewis Neall. Teste: Joseph Hannah, Robert ( ) Frazor. David Frazor.
  • 19 May 1767 - John Phares (Ferris) purchased 400 acres on the southernmost fork of the North River of the Shenandoah for £47 from Henry Cresswell and his wife Rebecca. It is described as being on Stony Lick Branch, commencing from an oak near Stony Lick. (Source: THE PHARES FAMILY OF ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, VIRGINIA, with a few notes on the allied families of Johnson, Gragg, Reynolds, Hill, Wilmoth, Veneman, and others, by Warren Skidmore)
  • Page 31 - Adam Phifer, 250 acres. North Shenandoah River, in a place called the Forrest. Adjoining Rader, Lare, December 4, 1782. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 108].
  • Page 223.--Patent (# of acres not listed) to William Pickens (wife Ann), 20th September, 1748. (Note: based upon other records found in Chalkley's, William Pickens' land was located at Cedar Creek, North Branch of the Shenandoah River, adjoining the land of James Claypool).
  • Page 80.--20th August, 1765. Hugh ( ) Botkin and Easter (Esther) to Henry Pickett, £20, 174 acres on a draft of North River Shanandoe corner Robert McMahon. Delivered: Hugh Donaho, 1st June, 1769.
  • Page 33.--18th November, 1760. John Rodes, of County Frederick, to Henry Price, of Frederick County, £15, 400 acres at foot of Peaked Mountain. Delivered to grantee's son, Adam Price, 20th March, 1815. (Note: "Peaked Mountain" was later called "Massanutten Mountain").
  • Page 262.—22d August, 1749. John Hopes (Hoopes?/Hope?) of Frederick, and Mary to Patrick Quin. On Naked Creek. Corner Jost Hite, Robert McKay, William Duff, Robert Green's line. 200 acres, patented to said John Hopes, 12th January, 1746. Teste: David Logan, John Homes.
  • Page 45.--18th November, 1761. Jonathan Douglas and Jemima ( ) to Patrick Quin, £20, 350 acres on head of Broad Run, a branch of North River of Shanandoe, part of two tracts, one of 400 acres patented to Jonathan, 11th July, 1761, the other of 400 acres also patented to Jonathan, adjoining above; cor. Nicholas Mace.
  • Page 492.--21st November, 1751. Thomas West and Christian (tiana) to Adam Rider (Rader), 1751, 186 acres on Willing's Creek of North River of Shanandore. Delivered: George Rider, 26th April, 1755.
  • Swain Rambo received a patent of 400 acres "on Smith's Creek; corner to Andrew Bird, John Philip's line", before 1751.
  • Pg. 227-230. 25 Sept. 1745 - Indenture between Mathias Solsor (Selser) of Orange County and Michael Rynard (Reinhart) of same... lease and release for £40.. 100 acres of land on the North side of the River of Shanando.... (signed) Mathias Solsor (Seal). Witnesses: G. Hume, Jno. Newport. Recorded Orange County 26 September 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 49].
  • Page 154 - Joseph Reice, 42 acres on west side of Smith Creek. Adjoining Andrew Bird, Rambo. June 6, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 55].
  • Pages 403-06. 26-27 May 1741. Jacob Greuter of Orange County to John Rode of same. Lease and release; for £16 Pennsylvania money. 100 acres on the north side Sherrundo River joining to Martin Kauffman's tract at Elk Lick and Prubecker's (Proopecker, Brubecker) lower tract. (signed) Jacob Greitter. 28 May 1741. Acknowledged by Jacob Greuter to John Rhode. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 62].
  • Page 230.--20th March, 1770. Joseph Poindexter and Elizabeth to Thomas Rodgers, £50, 143 acres on north side Shanandore; John Patrick's line; Thomas Turk's line. Teste: John Rodgers, James Kennerly, Jr., Samuel Woods.
  • G-243: Archibald Ruddle of Augusta County, 406 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Holman's Creek, adj. Capt. John Dobkins, Peter Portner. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • G-241: Cornelius Ruddle of Augusta County, 393 acres, 3 Ro. in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek, adj. John Ruddle. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg.34].
  • G-397: Isaac Ruddle of Augusta County, 140 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On North River of Shannondoah, adj. Augusta Coffman, Christian Bowman. 2 Aug. 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 42].
  • G-239: John Ruddle of Augusta County, 412 acres in same County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek, adj. William James. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Page 418.--10th March, 1757. Same to same (Cornelius Robinson, of Anson County and Province North Carolina, to Adam Reider (Rider, Rader),. Whereas Cornelius empowered to make deed for this land by will of his father, Charles Robinson, which will is recorded in Anson County Court in North Carolina, as appears by the copy certified by the Clerk, Jno. Frohock, £60, 400 acres on a branch of North River of Shanando called Fort Run.
  • Page 353.—13th November, 1753. Wm. Rutledge, of Granville County, North Carolina, to Cornelius Ruddle, 237 acres, Brock's Creek, patented to Wm. 20th August, 1745. Teste: Stephen Ruddle, Thomas Lonetally, Erwin Patterson, Isaac Ruddle. Acknowledged before Thomas Lonetally, a J. P. for Granville County.
  • Page 387.--15th September, 1778. Richard Payne and Ailer (Ailie) to Cornelius Riddle (Ruddle), of Albemarle County, on Black Run, a branch of Christian's Creek.
  • Page 828.--8th February, 1765. Valentine Metcher (Matcher) to Ludwick Francisco and Charles Rush, mortgage, £25, 275 acres on a branch of North River of Shanandoe, purchased by Valentine from Peter Miller; corner David Logan's land. Delivered: Charles Rush, May, 1766.
  • Wm. Rutledge received a patent of 237 acres at Brock's Creek on 20th August, 1745.
  • Thomas Rutherford acquired 400 acres "on the North River of the Shenandoah River above the Great Plains" by patent on 30 June 1731, later sold to James Gill in 1745 [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 47].
  • Page 427.--13th February, 1754. Jacob Stover, Jr., of Lunenburg County, son and heir of Jacob Stover, late of Orange County, deceased, to William Russell of Culpeper, Gent., £85, 4,000 acres, the reversion of a patent granted to Jacob, Sr., for 5,000 acres on west side of Blue Ridge of mountains on the waters of the Sherondoe, then Spottsylvania County, now Augusta, dated 15th December, 1733, which descended to Jacob, Jr., son and heir of Jacob, Sr. Teste: Thomas West.
  • Page 138.—15th September, 1748. Joseph Reed, Taylor to David Sayers (Sawyers), Jr. Bought by Joseph from Wm. Beverley, 24th July, 1740, and 26th September, 1741. Corner James Robinson; Christian's Creek; corner Francis Beaty. Teste: John Buchanan, Charles and Pat. Campbell.
  • G-237: Nicholas Seahorn of Augusta County, 399 acres, 3 Ro. 24 Per. in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrn. On Smith's Creek, on Waggon Road, adj. Valentine Savier, William Carroll, Mary Newman, Thomas Loocker, Jane Schene. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Pages 59-62. 25-26 Aug. 1742. Joseph Stover of Orange County to John Seawright of same. Lease and release; for ₤20 current money. 100 acres in that part of Orange County called Augusta on a branch of the North River of Shanando called Naked Creek... corner to William King... (signed) Joseph (I) Stover. Wit: Zach. Taylor, Wm. Phillips, Henry Downs. 26 Aug. 1742. Acknowledged by Joseph Stover. [Orange County Deed Book 8, pg. 70]
  • Pg. 18-21. Indenture 24 Nov. 1743 between John Seawright of County of Orange, Carpenter, and James Seeper, of county aforesd, Blacksmith... for five shillingslll sold 400 acres of land being in that part of Orange called Augusta... on a branch of the North River at Shanando called Naked Creek.. and bounded... James Cathey... John Seawright... Hen. Downs.. (signed) John Seawright (seal). [Orange County Deed Book 9, pg. 3].
  • Jane Schene, widow of Matthias Schene, no warrant, date from survey - 19 Jan. 1748 - 11 Apr. 1749; warrant issued in name of Matthias Schene; 301 acres on Smiths Creek where he then lived and now deceased. Surveyed at request of widow, Jane Schene; adj. Capt. Peter Scholl, Thomas Locker & part of Vallentine Survier (Sevier) survey. Chain Carriers - Robert Collvell & Andw. Burd. Capt. Peter Scholl present on survey & sundry other persons. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 31].
  • Peter Scholl, 19 Jan. 1749 - 10 Apr. 1749; 420 acres where he now lives on Smiths Creek, joyning the boundary line; adj. John Hodgh (sic), Jane Schene & part of Vallintine Survire [Sevier] survey. Chain Carriers - Thomas Loocker & Andw. Burd. Samuel Newman & sundry other persons present on survey. Surv. George Byrne. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 31].
  • Page 280.--11th September, 1768. Henry Seller to Adam Seller, £60, 168 acres patented to Henry, 1st June, 1750. on Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers'; also 205 acres patented to Henry, 30th August, 1763, between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger. Teste: John Seller, Daniel ( ) Price, Jacob Hammer.
  • Henry Seller received a patent of 205 acres on 30 August 1763 "between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger".
  • Page 415.--18th August, 1761. Henry Seller to son John Seller, £5, 130 acres on Price Run between Shanandoe River and the mountain.
  • Page 421.--18th August, 1761. Henry Seller to Peter Seller, £30, 123 acres, 100 acres whereof patented to Henry, 10th March, 1756; 23 acres part of tract whereon Henry now lives, on Shanando River. Delivered: Jno. Seller, August Court, 1776.
  • Valentine Savier (Sevier) of Augusta County, 370 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Byrne. On Smith's Creek adj. John Hodge, Capt. Peter School, Waggon Road, adj. Jane Schine. 21 July 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 34].
  • Page 342.--29th September, 1749. James Wood, of Frederick, to Robert Shankland, of Lancaster, Penna. Muddy Creek. Corner Jacob Dye. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746, 300 acres. Teste: William Dobbin, James Carroll, Thomas Wood, Valentine Sevier, Edward Shanklin.
  • Page 421.--27th August, 1751. John Lynn and Naomie, to Robert Shanklin. 320 acres on No, River Shan, joining Robert Scott, Stoney Lick Branch. Teste: Robt. Hook, Patrick Wilson.
  • Page 831.--18th August, 1750. James Wood, Gent., of Frederick, to Thos. Shankland, North Mountain, 400 acres on Muddy Creek, patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: Thos. Storey, David Ne(e)lson, Jno. Hopes, Thos. Wood.
  • Matthew "Matthias" Shaup acquired 350 acres of land "near upper end of the Peaked Mountain", prior to 1759, from Jacob Harmon.
  • 1777 - Jacob Sheets bought 300 acres on Naked Creek in Augusta County, had 27 acres surveyed on Naked Creek in 1785, and had 200 acres surveyed on Naked Creek in 1791. [1]
  • Isaiah Shipman, 380 acres, on Beaver Creek of North River of Shanando, patented 10th March, 1756.
  • Page 36.--18th November, 1760. Same (John Rodes, of County Frederick) to Daniel Sinks, £10, 400 acres in Forks of Shenandore near Picked Mountain.
  • Page 9.--9th August, 1748. Wm. Walling to Jno. States. Teste: Peter Schall, Samuel Newman, David Stewart. William's wife was Mary Catharine. (Note: this deed is for "100 acres on North River, Shenando, above the Gap". (Listed in "Fitzwater vs. Hughes", 1808, Chalkley's)).
  • Page 321.—28th November, 1749. Francis McCown, yeoman, to Andrew Steel, yeoman, Benjamin Borden, Kennedy's Creek. Teste: John Smith, Alexander Gibson, James McCowan.
  • Page 491.—20th April, 1754. Robt. Breckinridge and Mary to David Stewart and Robt. McClenachan, £9, 300 acres by patent to Robt. Breckinridge, 6th February, 1754; corner to a survey by James Bartone in Forks of Shanando, near Peaked Mountain.
  • Page 429.--200 acres on the Bare Spring, a branch of the Dry River, at a place called the Maple Swamp, patented to William Stephenson, deceased, 16th June, 1756, 10th November, 1757, and devised to son Mathew. Teste: Robert Davis and John Stephenson.
  • Page 269.--3rd July, 1749. William Thomptson, Sr., to William Thomptson, Jr. 400 acres on Middle River, opposite mouth of No. Br. of Shannado. James Craig. Patented to William, Sr., 22nd September, 1739. Teste: James Patton, John Buchanan, Robert and George Scott.
  • Page 4 - Samuel Thornhill, 70 acres, Between Stony Run and Dry Run. Adjoining Jacob Runkle. October 1, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 2].
  • Page 168 - Samuel Thornhill, 145 acres, between the Peaked Mountain and the Shenandoah. Adjoining Kersh. April 20, 1770. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 61].
  • Richard Tictom (Dictom) received a patent for 100 acres "on North River Shanadoe; corner Bernard McKenny, mouth of Beaver Run" on 25th June, 1747.
  • Repentance Townsend received a patent for 227 acres "on No. River of Shanado on a branch called the Second Fork of Thorney Branch. Cor. Smith's land", on 5th September 1749.
  • Page 174.--15th March, 1770. Nicholas ( ) Millberry, farmer, and Barbara ( ), to Peter Tresler, farmer. £20, 130 acres patented to Nicholas. 14th July, 1769; corner Samuel Thornhill, Stony Run. Delivered: Henry Tresler, 13th May, 1786.
  • Page 357.—21st August, 1754. Alexander (his mark) Brownlee and Sarah to Jno. Trimble, 400 acres by patent, dated 8th November, 1752, on the southermost fork of the North River of Shanando on Stoney Lick Branch, near a Stony Lick.
  • Page 298.—18th August, 1749. James Wood, above, to James Trotter On Naked Creek, 268 acres. Michael Dickey's line. Patented to James, 12th January, 1746. Teste: William Burk.
  • Page 93.--20th August, 1765. Robert ( ) Brown, plantationer, and Mary ( ) to James Trotter, £250, 300 acres on Culton's Branch of North River of Shanandoe, south side Anderson's Branch. Teste: Charles ( ) Campbell, John ( ) Craney.
  • Page 380.--24th June, 1752. Cornelius Murley and Austas to Jacob Trumbo, 400 acres. On North Fork, North River Shanando, above gap in mountain.
  • Page 28 - Solomon Turpine, 192 acres Dry fork of Smiths Creek. Adjoining Daniel Smith, Jeremiah Harrison, January 31, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 11].
  • John VanMeter received a grant of 10,000 acres on the north branch of the Shenandoah River on 17 June 1730, as listed in records of Orange County, Virginia.
  • Christopher Vickery and his wife Hannah (Hodge) acquired land "on Smiths' Creek, (Shenandoah River)" from Hannah's brother, Jacob Hodge on 9 November 1772.
  • Page 91 - John Warmley, 384 acres, Mole Hill Draft, a branch of Cooks Creek, Adjoining Daniel Harrison. December 2, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 34].
  • H-300: George Weavour of Augusta County, 300 acres in Augusta County on Passage Creek, in Powel's Fort. Surv. Mr. R. Rutherford. Adj. Patrick Fitzsimmons. 24 Apr. 1753. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 67].
  • Page 283.--15th October, 1765. Patrick ( ) Willson to George Weaver. £130, 380 acres, art of 5,000 acres patented to Jacob Stover, 3,100 acres thereof being conveyed by Jacob to Christopher Francisco and recorded in Orange County, on Shanando River; corner Morris Pound whereon he lives. Delivered: Geo. Weaver, 20th December, __94.
  • Page 354.--20th August, 1747. Edward Hughes, yeoman, to Thomas West. farmer, £22.10.0; on a branch of North River of Shanandore called Walling's Creek; 186 acres, being the land granted to James Gill by patent, 30th June, 1743. and sold by Gill to Hughes, 11th December, 1746. Teste: Johnn Harvie, James Porteus, Benj. Johnston. Acknowledged, 20th August, 1747.
  • Page 904.--22d May, 1765. Hugh ( ) Davor (Dever) (Diver) and Anne ( ) to Robert Williams, £40, 100 acres on headwaters of Cub Run. Teste: Hugh Hamilton, John Frezer. Delivered: Robert Williams, October, 1776.
  • Pages 149-54. 21-22 May 1742. Charles Robinson [Robison in lease] of Orange County, yeoman, to James Wood of same, Gent. Lease and release; for £40 current money. 400 acres... branch of the north branch of the South River of Sharrando (Shenandoah)... granted to Charles Robinson 22 Sept. 1739. (signed) Charles Robinson. Wit: Isaac Perkins, Wm. Glover, Just Hite. 27 May 1742. Proved by Just Hite and William Glover and affirmation of Isaac Perkins. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 8].
  • Page 149.—4th February, 1749. John Hodge, farmer, and Elizabeth, his wife, to Jacob Woodley. Smith's Creek; Daniel James' branch; Valentine Sevear's Mill; the mill tract, Y? acre, is to return to heirs of Jacob Woodley. Teste: Wm. Rambo.
  • Page 144.--20th August, 1748. Samuel Harrison to Mary, his wife, to Jno. Wright. Cooks Creek. Teste: Daniel Harrison, Samuel Newman.
  • Page 516.--2d May, 1752. Joseph Powel to John Wright, 400 acres on head of Dry Fork of Smith's Creek on Irish Road. Teste: Thomas Harrison and Daniel Harrison.
  • Page 381.--1st February, 1757. John (Jacob) Gardner to Jno. Craven and Jno. Wright, £100, 310 acres on East Fork of Cook's Creek and a draft of Smith's Creek, Daniel Harrison's land, granted to Jacob. 16th August, 1756. Teste: Ro. Craven ( ), Samuel Hemphill, Matt. and Robert Black. Delivered: Jno. Wright, August, 1758.
  • Page 189.—Hugh Campbell to John Young. Naked Creek, part of 400 acres patented to Hugh, 25th September, 1746. Teste: John Francis, Alexander Blair, Wm. Preston, Esther, wife of Hugh.


__________________________


South Branch Land Transactions:

Early Settlers on the Shenandoah River (South Branch)

Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia