Early Settlers on the South Branch of the Potomac River, Augusta County, VA

Share

Contents

Welcome to
Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant
Register
Data
Maps
Places
Library
History
Index

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky

__________________________

Overview

The records that appear on this page list early settlers on the South Branch of the Potomac River. The earliest settlements appear to be about 1747---most of these settlers probably came down from areas of Pennsylvania west of the Cumberland Valley.

Related

Settlement of the South Branch of the Potomac

Description

Enlarge



Tributaries

Potomac River (formerly called the "Wappaconee River") Area (includes the "Northern Neck", "South Branch", Cacapon River' (sometimes called "Lost River of Calaphon"), Coan River, Occoquan River, Yeocomico River, Accotink Creek, Dogue Creek, Aquia Creek, Beaver Creek (near Howell's Branch), Chopawamsic Creek, Catoctin Creek, Hull Creek, Hunting Creek, Licking Creek, Mattox Creek, Neabsco Creek, Pohick Creek, Pope's Creek, Quantico Creek, Seneca Creek, Bull Run. (Note: the Cacapon River area falls into what became part of Frederick and (later) Hampshire County)
Old Augusta includes the portion of the Potomac River Watershed west of the Blue Ridge, and in particular the Shannadoah River Valley. Settlement began occurring in this area about 1730, primarily from settlers moving south along the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road from Pennsylvania. A second stream of settlers from Eastern Virginia joined them, following the Three Notched Road, and crossing the Blue Ridge at Woods and Rockfish Gaps.

Settlers

From Chalkley's (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree), unless otherwise stated:

  • Page 267.-(undated, appears to be abt. May 1773) -130 acres on head of South Branch of Potowmack, patented to Michael Arbocust (Arbogast).
  • Page 90.--17th August, 1779. Abraham Smith and Sarah, of Rockingham, to Michael Armingcost (Arbogast), on Crab Apple Waters on head of the South Branch of Potomack, Lynche's line. Teste: William Booney, Jonathan Shipman.
  • Page 184.--3d May, 1769. Nicholas Sybert (Seybert), eldest son and heir-at-law of Jacob Sybert, deceased, of Frederick County, Maryland, to John Blizard, £200, 210 acres on southermost branch of South Branch of Potowmack, part of 2,643 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746, and by him conveyed to John Patton, Jr., 5th November, 1747, and by him conveyed to said Jacob Seybert, 21st May, 1755; corner Rodger Dyer. Teste: Mathew Patton, James Dyer, Adam Lock, Robert Minnis. Delivered: Daniel Smith, September, 1770.
  • Page 192 - John Blizzard, 28 acres, South Branch Potomac River. December 26, 1771. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 69].
  • Page 471.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to George Bush, £40, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmock, 116 acres, part of 470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: Bastian (Sebastian) Hover (Hoover), September, 1763.
  • Page 7 - George Bush, 33 acres, Potomick, Brusy Fork. Dec. 3, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
  • Michael Bush, 375 acres, South Branch of the Potomack. December 10, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 23].
  • Henry Carr (Kerr) is listed as acquiring 215 acres on South Branch of the Potomac River in the "Northern Neck", most of which is now Hampshire County, Virginia. [Source: "Early Fairfax Land Grants Along the South Branch of the Potomac", by Charles Morrison, pub. in "West Virginia History", Vol. 37: 1-22 (Oct. 1976)].
  • James Coburn migrated to the South Branch, Potomac area (later Hampshire County), prior to 1742, where is was living on land belonging to Isaac Van Meter.
  • G-535: Luke Collins of Augusta County, 386 acres in said County on Lost River of Cacapehon, Surv. Mr. George Washington. 5 June 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 50].
  • Page 437. -- 24 May 1763 - James Green and Moses Green, of Culpeper, and Mary Wood, of Frederick, to Jacob Conrod (Conrad), £90, 457 acres on South Branch Potomac, part of 660 acres patented to Robert Green, who devised the same to grantors, 203 acres being sold to Joseph Skidmore and Gabriel Coyle. Teste: Mathew Patton, Postel (Sebastian) ( ) Hover (Hoover) and Henry ( ) Pickles. Delivered: Jacob Conrad, January, 1765.
  • Page 462.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper), to Uldrick (Ulrich) Conrod (Conrad), £55.12, 278 acres at same place(on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), part of 370 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746. Delivered to same (Andrew Johnston, June, 1767).
  • Page 307.--18th May, 1778. James Trimble's executors (John, Isaac and James Trimble), of Rockbridge County, to Woolderick (Ulrich) Conrod (Conrad), Jr. Delivered: Jacob Conrod, son of Wooldruck Conrod, 23d May, ____, on South Branch of Potomac.
  • Page 462.--18th March, 1777. Ulrick Conrad, Sr., to Ulrick Conrad, Jr., his son, at mouth of Black Thorn on South Branch of Potowmack, 6 acres with mill seat thereon erected, patented to Ulrick 12th May, 1770.
  • Page 539.--20th August, 1761. Joseph ( ) Skidmore, Jr., to Gabrial Coil (Coyle), £25, 102 acres, part of lot No. 16 above (on South Branch of Potowmack, part of one of the lots formerly surveyed for Robert Green, gent.). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • Page 243.--16th May, 1774. George ( ) Goile and Hannah ( ) to Jacob Goile (Coyle), 131 acres on north side of South Branch of Potowmack, patented to George, 14th July, 1769. Teste: Thomas Jones.
  • Gabriel Coil, Jr., 55 acres, branches of South Branch. Adjoining George Coil. February 13, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 117].
  • Page 75.--17th November, 1761. James Trimble and Sarah to Valentine Goyle (Coyle), £16, two tracts 330 acres on South Branch Potowmack above the Front Rock: 1st, containing 100 acres; 2d, containing 130 acres adjoining. Delivered: Jacob Goyle, 7th October, 1772.
  • Page 544.--18th August, 1761. James Trimble and Sarah to Mary Cunningham, of Hampshire, £12.5, 160 acres on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, above John Cunningham's Walnut Bottom. Teste: John McFerran, Malcolm Allen, Samuel ( ) Luisey. (Note: Mary was the widow of John Cunningham who was killed at South Branch in 1758).
  • Page 547.--18th August, 1761. James Trimble and Sarah to Robert Cunningham, on South Branch in Hampshire County, £22.10, 300 acres in the Crab Apple Bottom, on a branch of South Branch of Potowmack. (Note: Robert was the son of John Cunningham who was killed at South Branch in 1758).
  • Vol. 2 - 1750-51, February 22d--John Croutch, 200 acres, joining to, or near, James and Edward Williams' entries; bought by Even McDonald, and is to live there next fall. Christian Clayman, vid. Thos. Turk. Robert Caldwell, vid. John McGreery. (Note: other records indicate that this land was located on the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River).
  • Page 394.--7th February, 1753. James Wood, of Frederick; Wm. Russell and Wm. Green, of Culpeper, to John Davis, 330 acres on South Forks of South Branch Potomac, patented 1750. Teste: Roger Dyer and Samuel (X) Patton. Delivered to Charles Smith, 1773.
  • Page 545.--21st May, 1764. Mathew Patton to Robert Davis, £75, on South Fork of South Branch of Potomac; corner Frederick Kiester. Teste: John Smith, John Poage, Robert Armstrong. Delivered: Samuel Morrel, 25th June, 1787.
  • Page 196 - James Diver, 126 acres, Bever Creek. Adjoining Daniel Henderson. March 25, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71].
  • G-533: John Dunbar of Augusta County, 412 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. G. Washington. On Lost River of Cacapeon. 4 June 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 50].
  • Page 396.--5th November, 1747. £8 current money Virginia. Robert Green, of Orange, to Roger Dyer, 190 acres, same as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746); corner to John Patton, Sr. Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 412.--5th November, 1747. £25 current money Virginia. Robert Green to Roger Dyer, 620 acres, same as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746); Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 400.--5th November, 1747. £14 current money Virginia. Robert Green to Wm. Dyer, 350 acres, same as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746). Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 367.--On North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, patented to Jacob Eberman, 1st August, 1772.
  • Page 157 - Francis and George Evock, 160 acres South Branch of Potomac. Adjoining George Dyces. Aug. 27, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 57].
  • Page 34 - Francis Evick, 118 acres, South Branch of the Potomac. March 6, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 109].
  • Page 360.--26th September, 1765. Thomas Parsons and Esther ( ) of Hampshire to Peter Flesher, £50, 200 acres on South Branch Potomac. Delivered: Wm. Flesher, 14th May, 1787.
  • Page 467.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Jonas Friend, £8.15, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), 44 acres, part of 350 acres above (part of 350 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746). Delivered as above (Andrew Johnston, June, 1767).
  • Page 64.--18th November, 1767. Jacob Hornberrier (Harnsbarger) and Elizabeth M. to Jacob Friend, £17, on a branch of the South Fork called Richardson's Run on west side of Dyche's land, 229 acres patented to Jacob Hornberrier, 10th July, 1767.
  • M-103: Henry Fry of Hampshire County, 213 acres on Great Cacapehon in said county. Surv. Mr. John Mauzy. Adj. Hugh Hughs, Thomas Hughs. 30 Dec. 1762. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 148].
  • Page 689.--17th August, 1764. Frederick Kister and Hannah ( ) to George Fults, £20, 35 acres at a place called the Little Walnut Bottom on the mountain between the South Fork and the South Branch of Potowmack.
  • Page 234 - Cutlip Gabbart, 50 acres, South Branch of Potomac. Adjoining Henry Swadley. October 21, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 83].
  • Page 235 - William Gragg, 200 acres, Seneca Creek. October 27, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 83].
  • Page 242 - William Gragg, 64 ares, Seneca Creek. Dec. 10, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 85].
  • Page 215.--21st November, 1775. Andrew Johnson, of Culpeper, and Michael Erreman (Ebermann), of Augusta, to William Gragg. Patented to Andrew and Michael 16th, 1771, on Senecar Creek, a branch of North Branch of South Branch of Potowmack.
  • Page 133.--21st March, 1754. Francis McBride and Mary McBride, his wife to Jacob Gum on Lost River of Cacaphore, 330 acres, all rights, Royal Mines excepted and a full third part of all lead, coffee, tinn, coals, iron mines; and iron ore that shall be found there on Fairfax's land.
  • Page 458.--29th May, 1760. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper),to George Hammer, £19.17, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), cor. tract sold to Jonas Friend; cor. tract sold Jacob Harper, 114 acres, part of 350 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746. Delivered to same (Andrew Johnston, June, 1767).
  • Page 111.--28th November, 1771. Same (From Henry Lancisco, Sr.) to Zichman Harman, £20, on North Fork of South Branch of Potomac, 130 acres part of 310 acres conveyed by Wood, Russell and Green, to Henry, 16th February, 1750, and part of greater tract patented to James Wood, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: Samuel Miller as above.
  • M-35: Jacob Huntsbarger (Harnsbarger) of Frederick County, 214 acres near Potomack River on Elk Branch in said County. Surv. Mr. Thomas Rutherford. Adj. George Henry Peachtolt. 2 Sept. 1762. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 144].
  • Jacob Harnsbarger received a patent for 229 acres "on a branch of the South Fork (of the Potomac River) called Richardson's Run on west side of Dyche's land" on 10th July 1767.
  • Page 460.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Jacob Harper, £16.6.4, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), , 96 acres, part of 350 acres, supra. Delivered to same (Andrew Johnston, June, 1767).
  • Page 27.--15th August, 1769. William Montgomery and Jean ( ) to Adam Harpole, £82, 470 acres on mountain between South Fork and South Branch of Potomac, line of Jacob Sivert's survey. Delivered: Adam Harpole, 23d May, 1785.
  • Page 475.--20th August, 1770. Robert Davis and Sarah to Frederick Havoner, £10, 33 acres on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, part of 327 acres whereon said Davis lives; said Hevener's corner. Delivered: David Steel, per order, 28th September, 1817. (Note: Frederick was the son of Nicholas Havener, listed in the following acquisition).
  • Page 109.--21st May, 1755. John Smith and Rebecca (mark) to Nicholas Havener, £107.10.0, 300 acres conveyed to John by Robert Green, of Orange, 5th November, 1747, on southermost branch, of South Branch of Potomac; corner to tract surveyed for Mathew Patton. Delivered to Nicholas Havener, 1765.
  • Page 8 - Joist Hinkle, 220 acres, North fork Potomack. April 3, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
  • Page 177.--15th November, 1775. Tully Davitt and Jane to John Hiner, of Dunmore County, 140 acres on South Fork of Blackthorn, a branch of South Branch of Potomac. Delivered: John Heslin, February, 1777.
  • Page 226.--23d November, 1775. John Hiner, of Dunmore County, to Sebastian Hover (Hoover) and Gasper Taylor, on head of South Fork of Blackthorne, a branch of South Branch of Pattomack; corner tract belonging to heirs of Samuel Wilson, deceased.
  • Page 435.--16th November, 1763. George Bush ( ) and Susannah ( ) to Sebastian Hover (Hoover), £94, 116 acres on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, conveyed to George by Mary Woods and Green, 29th May, 1761. Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • G-538: Joseph How (Howe) of Augusta County, 386¼ acres in said County. Surv. Mr. G. Washington. On Lost River of Caccapehon adjoining James Scott. 6 June 1751. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 50].
  • Page 198 - Peter Hoal (Hull), 97 acres, branch of Jackson River. April 10, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71].
  • 1771 - Andrew Johnston of Culpeper and Michael Ebermann of Augusta County obtained a patent for land "on Senecar Creek, a branch of North Branch of South Branch of Potowmack",
  • Page 455.--24th May, 1763. Same (From William Green, &c.) to Martin Judy, £27.10, 367 acres as above (on South Fork of Potomac, part of 600 acres patented to Wood, Russell and Green; corner Jacob Rollman and Catherine Zorn's land). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • Page 469.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper),to George Kaplinger, £19.7, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), cor. George Hammer, 114 acres, part of 350 acres patented as above (part of 350 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746). Delivered to same. Teste: Gabriel Coil.
  • Page 481.--29th May, 3761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Frederick Kester (Keister), £64, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, 256 acres, part of 1470 acres above. Delivered: A. J. above.
  • Page. 197 - Barnet Lance (Lantz), 50 acres, South Branch Potomac. Adjoining Abraham Smith, Michael Armocust. April 8, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 71].
  • Page 187.--3d May, 1769. Same (From Nicholas Sybert (Seybert), eldest son and heir-at-law of Jacob Sybert, deceased, of Frederick County, Maryland) to Adam Lock, £10, 88 acres on the mountain between the South Fork and South Branch of Potowmac patented to Jacob Sybert, 10th November, 1757; Michael Mallow's line. Teste: John ( ) Blizard. Delivered: Grantee, 15th April, 1814.
  • G-529: Francis McBride of Augusta County, 386 acres on Lost River of Cacapeon in said county. Surv. Mr. G. Washington. 3 June 1751. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 50].
  • G-531: Francis McBride of Augusta County, 386¼ acres in said County. On Lost River of Cacapeon. Surv. Mr. G. Washington. Adj. Francis McBride's other land. 4 June 1751. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 50].
  • Page 496.--20th August, 1752. Edward Hogan, farmer, and Sarah, to Francis McBride, Lost River of Cacaphout (Caccaphon), 330 acres. Teste: Philip Chittam, John Dunbar, John Lewis.
  • G-532: Barnaby McHendry (Handry) of Augusta County, 400 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Washington. On Lost River of Cacapeon, adj. Luke Collins. 4 June 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 50].
  • Page 398.--18th August, 1772. George ( ) Shaver, eldest son and heir apparent of Paul Shaver, deceased, and Elizabeth ( ) Shevar, widow of Paul, to Michael Mallow, 200 acres lately the property of Paul on Licking Creek, a branch of South Branch of Potowmac, opposite Shelton's land.
  • Michael Mallow had 470 acres surveyed in Augusta County in October 1753 "on the mountain between South Fork of South Branch of Potowmac, line of Jacob Sybert's survey" [Augusta County Survey Book, History of Pendleton County, Virginia, Morton].
  • Page 161 - Valentine Metsclaw (also known as Valentine Metzger or Butcher), 130 acres, South Branch of the Potomac. December 15, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 58].
  • Page 452.--18th August, 1752. John Dunbarr, farmer, to Wm. Miller, farmer, of Frederick Country. On Lost River of Calaphon, from Fairfax, 412 acres. Delivered: Francis McBride, January, 1754. Teste: Robert Renick, John Erwin.
  • Page 481.--16th May, 1768. Michael Mallo (Mallow) to William Mountgomery, £50, 470 acres on the mountain between South Fork of South Branch of Potowmac, line of Jacob Sybert's survey.
  • Page 217.--On North Fork of South Branch, part of 156 acres patented to Daniel Mouse, 6th April, 1769. Delivered: Leonard Miller by order of George Mills (s/b Miller), 1st April, 1794.
  • Page 252.--18th May, 1773. Jacob Eberman and Barbara ( ) to Daniel Mouse, on North Fork of South Branch of Potomac, about one mile from Suicea Creek. Teste: Ephraim Dunlop.
  • G-249: Leonard Naff of Frederick County, 432 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Tract No. 11 on South Fork of Wappacomo or Great South Branch of Potomack River. 5 Aug. 1749 [Index - Leonard Naffe.].[Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 35].
  • Page 475.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant of James Wood, William Green and William Russell (by consent of Mary Wood, devisee of James Wood and William Russell, son and heir-at-law of said William) and Ann, his wife, to Jeremiah Ozburn (Osburn), £41.16, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract surveyed for Charles Willson, 220 acres, part of tract patented to James, William and William above, 23d October, 1750. Teste: Frederick Kister (see Easter, Hister, &c., above). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • Vol. 1 - August 24, 1749 - (264) William Parks's 2,464 acres on So. Br. Potomac to be valued by Geo. Sea, Martin Stroup, John Knight Owells (O'Neils), Henry Kerr, John Skelton, John Patton, Jr., James Rutledge and John Smith.
  • Page 420.--5th November, 1747. Robert Green to John Patton, Sr., £18 current money Virginia, 453 acres adjoining Wm. Stephenson as above on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746). Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 393.--5th November, 1747. £8.10.0 current money Virginia. Robert Green, of Orange, to John Patton, Jr., of Augusta, 210 acres on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746; corner to a tract sold to Roger Dyer. Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell. Proved by all, 18th November, 1747.
  • Page 408.--5th November, 1747. 16 current money Virginia. Robert Green to Matthew Patton, 157 acres, same as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746). Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 155.--27th February, 1750. Roger Dyer to Matthew Patton, 190 acres on South Fork South Branch Potomac. Cor. John Patton.
  • Page 465.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Henry Penniger (Penninger), £11.15.2, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), 168 acres, part of 370 acres, supra. Teste: Frederick Hister (as above). Delivered to same (Andrew Johnston, June, 1767).
  • 1750-51, March 18th--Gabriel Pickens, 100, on Howell's Branch, near Jacob Gilisby and Henry Smith; two rights.
  • Gabriel Pickens received a patent for 200 acres on 12th May, 1759, "on a branch of Bever Creek; corner Hennery Smith's land; corner Jacob Gallespy".
  • Page 480.---20th May, 1777. Jacob Goyle (Coyle) and Margaret ( ) to Christian Pickle, 100 acres on South Branch of Potowmack above Trout Rock patented to James Trimble _____, and by him conveyed to Valentine Goyle (Coyle), deceased 17th November, 1761, and descended to Gabriel Goyle as eldest son and heir. Teste: Valentine Cloninger, Valentine White.
  • Page 477.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, and James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Michael Proops, £30, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack; cor. tract sold to Mark Swadley, 415 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June 1747. Teste: Mark ( ) Swately. Delivered as above.
  • G-273: Anthony Regan (Reager) of Augusta County, 498 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Tract No. 6 in Plat on South Fork of South Branch of Potomack River. 15 Aug. 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Volume 2, pg. 36].
  • Page 234 - George Rexroad, 53 acres, South Branch of Potomac. October 21, 1773. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 83].
  • Page 47 - Zechariah Rexroad, 100 acres, South Fork of South Branch. May 12, 1785. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 113].
  • Page 308.--30th August, 1776. David Mathew. of Tygar's Valley, to Jacob Roote, on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack below Deep Spring.
  • Page 124 - John Rion (Ryan), 23 acres, Branch of the Potomac. Oct. 31, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 45].
  • Martin Shobe (Schaub), 130 acres, South Branch of Potomack. April 11, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 4].
  • Page 112.--21st May, 1755. John Patton, Jr., to Jacob Sybert, 210 acres conveyed by Ro. Green to John Patton, 5th November, 17xlii (1752?), recorded in Augusta on same stream as above (southernmost branch of South Branch of Potomac); corner to tract sold to Roger Dyer. Teste: Thomas Fulton, John Mills.
  • Page 238.--11th March, 1778. John Smith and Margaret to Nicholas Seybert, on a branch of the Straight Fork of Potowmack, at a place called Frame's Cabbin.
  • Page 10 - Paul Shever, 200 adres, South Branch of Potomack. April 11, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 10].
  • Page 357.--9th October, 1765. Thomas Parsons, Jr., of Hampshire, and Mary ( ) to Leonard Seaman, £31, 200 acres on South Branch Potomac patented 22d September, 1757.
  • Page 526.--14th May, 1787. Leonard Simmons to Peter Simmons, his son, tract patented to Leonard by the Commonwealth, joining Mark Simmons and John Somvalt, crossing Gyle's Run.
  • Page 2.--19th August, 1767. Jacob Conrod to Joseph Skidmore, £3, 14 acres on South Branch of Potomac (Patowmack), part of 457 acres whereon Jacob lives adjoining said Skidmore's mill tract.
  • Page 381.--On South Branch Potomac, patent to Joseph Skidmore 10th September, 1767. Sent as per order 22d January, 1802.
  • Page 456.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper, to Joseph Skidmore, Jr., £50.15, on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, 203 acres, part of 660 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Teste. Mathew Patton, Michael Prop (Propps), Frederick Easter (Hister). Delivered: Andrew Johnston, June, 1767.
  • Page 387.--26th August, 1772. Joseph Skidmore, Sr., and Agness to Samuel Skidmore, their son, £45, patent to said Joseph, 1767, 10th September, on South Branch of Potowmack where said Skidmore formerly lived. Teste: John Skidmore, Jonas Friend, John ( ) Caplinger. Delivered: Felix Gilbert, August Court, 1773.
  • Page 391.--17th August, 1772. Same (Joseph Skidmore, Sr., and Agness) to their son Thomas Skidmore. At a place called the Little Walnut Bottom, on North Fork of South Branch of Potomac. Delivered: Jno. Skidmore, August, 1773.
  • Page 331.--18th May, 1762. Gabriel Pickens to Abram Smith. £50. 200 acres on a branch of Bever Creek; cor. Henry Smith; cor. Jacob Gillespy's land. Delivered: Col. Abraham Smith. March, 1772.
  • Page 473.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper) to Andrew Smith, £17.10, on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, 131 acres, part of 370 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746. Delivered.
  • Page 416.--5th November, 1747. £12 current money Virginia. Robert Green to John Smith, 300 acres as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746). Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 10 - Peter Smith, 110 acres, South fork of Potomack. April 14, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 4].
  • Page 404.--5th November, 1747. £8 current money Virginia. Robert Green to Wm. Stephenson, 200 acres, same as above (on the southermost branch of the south branch of Potomac, part of 2,643 acres patented to Rob. Green, 12th January, 1746). Tested and proved as above (Teste: James Porteus and Gabriel Jones, Wm. Russell).
  • Page 182.--21st March, 1780. Jacob Trace, of Hampshire, to Bastain Stone, on head of South Branch of Potomac, patented to said Jacob, 5th July, 1774. Teste: James Dyer, Henry Flersher.
  • Page 82.--26th May, 1761. Peter Horse to Adam Stroud. £20, 275 acres on South Fork of Potomac, part of 700 acres of Postle (Sebastian) Hover (Hoover) 's, Michael Kynes' cor. Teste: Mathew Patton, Robert Ralston, Postle ( ) Horse. Delivered: Adam Stroud, March, 1769.
  • G-227: Michael Stump of Hampshire County, 366 acres in Hampshire County. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Lot No. 3 on South Fork of South Branch of Potomack river. 8 Sept. 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 34].
  • G-247: Michael Stump of Frederick County, 510 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. No 12 in Plat on South Fork of Wappacomo or Great South Branch of Potomack River. 3 Aug. 1749. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 35].
  • Page 487.--29th May, 1761. Mary Wood, &c. (as above, (William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c.,)), to Mark Swatley, £27.10, on South Fork, &c., as above, 426 acres, part of 1470 acres patented to Robert Green, 25th June, 1747. Delivered: A. J. as above.
  • * Page 8 - Mark Swadley, 130 acres, Branch of Potomack. April 15, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 3].
  • Page 437.--15th March, 1757. Wm. Stephenson and Sarah ( ) to Mathias Tise, £90, 200 acres on southernmost Fork of South Branch Potomac, part of 2640 acres patented to Ro. Green, 12th January, 1746, and conveyed by Green to William, 5th November, 1747; cor. tract sold to Jno. Patton, Jr. Delivered: Mathias Tice, March, 1769.
  • Page 123 - George Teter, 120 acres, South Branch of the Potomac, October 26, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 45].
  • Christian Tosher (Dasher) acquired 200 acres land on the "South Fork, South Branch" of the Potomac, in what later became Hampshire County, Virginia. ["Wappatomaka, A Survey of the History and Geography of the South Branch Valley", by Charles Morrison].
  • G-135: Abram Vanderpool of Augusta County, 432 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Tract No. 10 on South Fork of Wappacomo or Great South Branch of Potomack River. 19 Oct. 1748. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 29].
  • Page 230.—25th May, 1751. Abraham Vanderpool and Rebecca to George Yoccum (Yoccomb), No. 10 held by patent of Lord Fairfax, 19th October, 1748, on ye south fork of ye Wappaconee (or) Great South Branch of Potomac, 430 acres. Endorsed and delivered to James Machir for George Harnost, Sr., one of the heirs of the grantee, 16th July, 1806. Teste: Wm. White, Thomas Moore.
  • John Varvel was an early settler on the South Branch of the Potomac River prior to 1749.
  • Peter Veneman (Vaneman) received a patent (# of acres not listed) "on Dry Run of North Fork of South Branch of Potomac" on 1st March 1773.
  • G-536: Andrew Viney of Augusta County, 386¼ acres in said County. Surv. Mr. G. Washington. On Lost River of Cacoapehon. 6 June 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 50].
  • Page 306.--18th May, 1762. John Duncle to Ludwick Wagoner, £20, 151 acres on South Fork of Potomac (Patowmack), part of 2643 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746, part of which was conveyed to John Patton. and by Patton 453 acres were conveyed to John, and 151 is now laid off for Wagoner. Delivered: Ludwick Wagoner, 19th June, 1765.
  • G-133: Abel Westfall of Augusta County, 400 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Tract or lot No. 9 on South Fork of Wappacomo or Great South Branch of Potomack River. 6 Oct. 1748. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 29].
  • G-136: Jacob Westfall of Augusta County, 400 acres. Surv. Mr. James Genn. Tract No. 13 on South Fork of Wappacomo or Great South Branch of Potomack River. 20 Oct. 1748. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 29].
  • Page 58 - Michael Wiltfeng, 111 acres, South Branch of the Potomack. April 24, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 23].
  • Page 485.--29th May, 1761. William Green, surviving joint tenant, &c., &c., and Anna as above, to Charles Willson, £19.13, on South Fork of South Branch of Potowmack, on Kettle River, 131 acres, part of tract patented to Wood, Green and Russell, 23d October, 1750. Delivered: A. J. as above.
  • Page 63.--17th August, 1779. Peter Venimon (Vaneman) and Elizabeth ( ), of Rockingham, to John Wormsley, patent to Peter 1st March, 1773, on Dry Run of North Fork of South Branch of Potomac. Teste: Thos. Myns, Richard Barret.
  • P-337: Deed 15 June 1754 to James Warden of Augusta County, 330 acres between Andrew Viney & Luke Collins on Lost River of Cacapehon in then Augusta now Hampshire County as by survey by Mr. George Washington 16 June 1750. Deed is lost and was not recorded. James Warden has authorized Mr. Peter Hog Att'y at Law to convey his Right & Title to John Bare of Augusta County by letter of 7 Nov. 1772 recorded in County Court of Hampshire. Adjoining Luke Collins, Andrew Viney. 15 Mar. 1775. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 229].
  • G-534: William Warden of Augusta County, 400 acres in said County. Surv. Mr. George Washington. On Lost River of Caecapehon; across Brown Loaf Mt. 4 June 1750. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 50].

__________________________

Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia