The Kanawha River is located in the Ohio Drainage Basin in current West Virginia. It's tributaries include the New River (formerly called "Woods River"), Bluestone River, East River, Little River, Crab Creek, Cripple Creek, Chestnut Creek, Meadow Creek, Reed Island Creek, Reed Creek, Sinking Creek, Tom's Creek, Wolf Creek, Walker Creek and Sams Spring. (Source: List of Virginia Rivers)
The New River is the major tributary of the Kanawha River system. It flows northward through portions of Old Augusta from its headwaters in North Carolina, joining the Kanawah at Point Pleasant in what is now West Virginia.
|The Virginia portion of The New River (light blue) was settled beginning about 1750; Many of these settlers had to flee the area during the French and Indian War.
|The Battle of Point Pleasant (October 10, 1774), occurred at the mouth of the New River where it discharges into the Kanawha during Lord Dunmore's War. A force of over one thousand Virginia militiamen, led by Colonel Andrew Lewis (1720–1781), defeated a roughly equal force of an Algonquin confederation of Shawnee and Mingo warriors led by Shawnee Chief Cornstalk (ca. 1720-1777). While the event is celebrated locally as the "First Battle of the American Revolutionary War", and in 1908 the U.S. Senate authorized erection of a local monument to commemorate it as such, most historians regard it not as a battle of the Revolution (1775–1783), but as a part of Lord Dunmore's War (1774). Wikipedia:Point Pleasant, West Virginia.
The following early settlers of Old Augusta settled in the New River portion of the Kanawha, primarily in what is now Montgomery and Pulaski Counties, VA.
From Chalkley's (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):
- Page 51.--2d February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to John Adams, 210 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. land of Michael Kinder; cor. Price's land, Lorton's line, Jacob Harmon's line.
- Page 113.--15th January, 1754. Garrett Zinn to Manuel Ekerling, 125 acres, part of 900 acres patented to Garrett 20th June, 1753, on Woods River Cor. John Miller.
- Page 348.--29th May, 1751. John Mills to Samuel Akerling, 100 acres on Little River of Woods River; patented to John, 15th September, 1749. Teste: Andrew Cowan.
- Page 79.--19th May, 1755. John Vance, of Bedford County, to Robert Alleson, £20, 192 acres on North Fork Reed Creek patented to said John Vance. Teste: Wm. Scott, Geo. Wilson, Peter Scott.
- Page 94.--10th February, 1754. Same to Casper Barrier (Barger), 507 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. Wm. Ingles, Lepard's line; Martin Loy's line.
- John Bingaman received a patent for 460 acres "on Woods River at Poplar Camp" on 20th June 1753.
- Page 233.--10th May, 1754. Humphrey Baker to John Bingamon, Sr., 100 acres conveyed by Col. Jno. Buchanan, 18th May, 1750, on north side Wood's River. To lie for further proof.
- Page 16.--7th February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to William Byers, 160 acres on Tom's Creek. Cor. John Cook; cor. to another tract belonging to Byers; Conrad Kinder's line.
- Page 97.--10th February, 1754. Jacob Harmon to Wm. Byers, 170 acres conveyed to Harmon by Patton 1st February, 1754, on Tom's Creek. Cor. John Adams.
- Page 517.--10th August, 1769. Jacob Lingle and Ann ( ) to Peter Gunrod (s/b Conrad) and Stephen Gunrod (Conrod), £46, 280 acres on Tom's Creek of New River, conveyed to Jacob by Col. James Patton, patentee, corner Casper Barger, Draper's line.
- Page 73.--7th February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to John Cook, 190 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. Wm. Byer's land; cor. Conrad Kinder.
- Page 442.--6th August, 1754. Robert McFarland to John Downing, £20.14.0, 248 acres on Stoney Fork of Re(e)d Creek. Teste: Abraham Dunckleberry, Nathaniel Wilshire.
- Page 35.--10th February, 1754. Col. James Patton to John Draper, 315 acres, part of Patton's patent on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. Wm. Englis' land; Lingell's line.
- Page 38.--9th February, 1744. Same (from Col. James Patton) to John Draper and Wm. Englcs (English), 440 acres, part, &c., as above. Cor. to land on which William Engles lives, estate in the Barrens. Cor. Barrier's land.
- Page 32.--10th February, 1754. Col. James Patton to Wm. Englis (English), 255 acres, part of Patton's patent on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. John Draper's land; Lingell's line; Barrier's line.
- Jacob Harmon acquired 170 acres on "Tom's Creek, corner John Adams" on 1st February 1754 from Col. James Patton.
- Page 70.--2d February, 1754. Same to (from Col. James Patton) Jacob Harmon, Jr., 625 acres on Tom's Creek as above, estate in the Barrens. Cor. Jacob Lorton, pine by the Beaver Dams.
- Page 265.--21st November, 1755. John Harrison, yeoman, to Jeremiah Harrison, £38, 278 acres (one line supposed to interfere with Ro. Craven's land) on Crab's Creek, cor. John Hopes.
- Page 88.--29th October, 1767. John McFarland and Mary, of Bedford County, to James Holles, £40, 98 acres on a branch of Reed Creek, a branch of New River, betwixt the land of the said John and the Cove, patented to John 20th June, 1753. Teste: Israel and William Christian, Daniel McNeill, Robert Brsckenridge, Samuel Black, William Wright, William Bates, George Dair.
- Page 88.--11th February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Conrad Kinder, 290 acres on Tom's Creek. Cor. Michael Kinder; cor. Wm. Byers, John Cook's line; Jacob Lingel's line.
- Page 55.--2d February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Michael Kinder, 200 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. John Adams, white oak in the Naked Land; cor. Jacob Lingell.
- Page 61.--10th February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Jacob Lingell, 280 acres on Tom's Creek as above. Cor. Casper Bonier, Draper's lines.
- Page 48.--21st March, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to William Lipperd, 620 acres on Tom's Creek as page 32, supra. Cor. Captain Barrier's land.
- Page 58.--2d January, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Jacob Lorton, 560 acres on Tom's Creek as above, a pine by the Beverdams; cor. Jacob Harmon; cor. Price's land. Teste : Samuel Ross.
- Page 262.--17th May, 1767. Ebenezer ( ) Wascoat, of South Carolina, and Jacob Shell, of Augusta, to Jacob Lorton. Ebenezer Wastcoat, late of Augusta County, but now of Berkeley County, South Carolina, sometime before his removal from Augusta County agreed to sell to Jacob a tract of 666 acres on Crab Creek, a branch of New River and received from Jacob £40, and afterwards (on 9th February, 1767) he gave a power of attorneyto Jacob Shell to execute deeds to Jacob Lorton, purchased by Ebenezer James Patton, 14th January, 1754; corner Palser Smallser. Delivered: Thos. Dunn by your order, October, 1767.
- Page 85.--2d February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Martin Loy, 230 acres on Tom's Creek. Cor. George Sharp's land.
- Humberston Lyon acquired (at least) 650 acres on Wood's River, prior to July 1755.
- Robert McFarland acquired 248 acres of land "on Stoney Fork of Re(e)d Creek" prior to August 1754, and probably closer to January 30, 1753.
- John Noble acquired land "on "Cripple Creek at Big Spring", prior to his death in 1752.
- Page 138 - Henry Patton, 400 acres on Wolf Creek, 2 miles above Rocky Gap, settled 1771. [Source: Kegley, Mary "Early Adventurers" vol II]
- Page 137. - Thomas Patton, 400 acres at Sams Spring, settled 1768. [Source: Kegley, Mary "Early Adventurers" vol II]
- Page 67.--2d February, 1754. Patton (Col. James Patton) to Augustine, Henry and Daniel Price, 1130 acres on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. Jacob Lorton, line of John Adams' land.
- Page 446.--21st June, 1769. Philip ( ) Horless (Harless) and Margaret to Michael Price. £26.5, 365 acres, part of 660 acres patented to Philip, 31st October, 1765, on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Delivered: Thomas Madison. January, 1770.
- Daniel Ratcliff received a patent for 104 acres "on Meadow Creek of New River" on 22 August 1753.
- Page 110.--2d February, 1754. John Miller to Reuben Ratcliff, 65 acres patented 22d August, 1753, on Little River.
- Land Patent Book 31: Samuel Ratlive, 104 acres in Augusta County on branch of New River called Meadow Creek; 22 August 1753, pg. 400. 10 Shillings [Source: Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, pg. 154].
- Page 100.--11th January, 1754. Daniel Ratcliff to James Scags (Skaggs), 104 acres patented to Samuel 22d August, 1753, on Meadow Creek of New River.
- Page 103.--11th January, 1754. William Pellum to James Skags (Skaggs), 134 acres patented to William 22d August, 1753, on Meadow Creek of New River.
- Page 91.--2d February, 1754. Same (Col. James Patton) to George Sharp 285 acres on Tom's Creek, supra. Cor. Martin Loy's land.
- Page 45.--2d February, 1754. Same (from Col. James Patton) to Harness Sharp, 320 acres on Tom's Creek as page 35, supra. Cor. George Sharp's land.
- Page 144.--6th September, 1762. Same to same (John Bingeman and Elizabeth ( ) of Broomfield in Culpeper Co. to Thomas Stanton, Jr., of same parish and county), £50, 100 acres by patent to John Buchanan, 5th April, 1748, on Wood's River, known by the name of Bufflo Pond. Teste: Jno. Hume, Thos. Stanton, Joseph Ham, Richard Stanton, Simon Tomison. Delivered: Thos. Madison, 1770.
- Page 146.--16th October, 1762. Same (John Bingeman and Elizabeth ( ) of Broomfield in Culpeper Co.) to Thomas Stanton, £61, 460 acres by patent to John (Sr.), 20th June, 1753, on Woods River at Poplar Camp. Teste: Nicholas ( ) Null, Thomas Stanton, Jr.; Richard Stanton, Jno. Hume. Delivered: Thomas Madison, 1770.
- Page 81.--12th February, 1768. Frederick Starn (Stern) to George Teetar (Teater), £10, 85 acres by patent 22d August, 1753, on Crab Creek, a branch of New River. Teste: W. Ingles, William Davis, John Taylor, John and Wm. Buchanan. Sent to George Teeter by his order, April, 1769.
- Page 410.--22d September, 1763. William Davis, of Philadelphia, to Jno. Wiley, £120, 400 acres on east side New River, Francis Riley's line. Acknowledged by William. Delivered to John Wiley, August, 1765.
- Page 44.--19th August, 1765. John Willey (Wiley) to Peterand Alex. Wiley, sons of John, £200, 400 acres on New River, Francis Riley's line. Delivered: Pat. Lockhart, September, 1772. (Note: Alexander Wiley later sold some or all of his land on New River to Andrew McCartney, prior to 1791).
- 20th June 1753 - Garrett Zinn received a patent of 900 acres on Woods River. Cor. Manuel Ekerling, opposite a long island.
Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia