The Jackson River was used as an early landmark by surveyors in Augusta County. It now runs through Allegheny County. It includes the areas of Back Creek/River, Naps (or Knaps) Creek, Dry Run and Falling Spring Valley.
From Chalkley's, unless other source stated (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):
- Page 335.--18th May, 1761. Thomas Lewis to James and Robert Allen, £80, 560 acres on West Fork of Jackson's River. (Note: this appears to be Robert Allen and his son James).
- Page 315.--19th Mav, 1754. Adam Dickinson to James Boreland (Bourland), £75, 327 acres, part of a large tract patented to Adam 1st June, 1750, on Jackson's River, west side of River; corner John Bordon (Bardon), the patent line.
- Page 321.-- 18th May, 1754. Adam Dickinson to John Bird (Byrd), £25. 215 acres, part of above patent; corner Wm. Jackson. Delivered to John Dean June, 1765.
- Joseph Carpenter received a patent for 782 acres on Jackson's River on 1 June, 1750 as listed in the following record:
- NOVEMBER 28, 1770. Page 162. - William Hugart vs. Joseph Carpenter} Decree for plaintiff for sale of 160 acres on Jackson's River, part of 782 acres patented to Joseph (Carpenter) - June 1, 1750. Memo.--The land was sold by Edward McMullen, Jan'y., 1771, at public auction, and bought by plaintiff for £90.
- Page 873.--20th May, 1765. Same (From Joseph Carpenter, Sr.) to Solomon Carpenter, planter, £10, 160 acres, John Man's line. Delivered: Wm. Huggart, 4th November, 1772.
- Page 359.--20th September, 1763. John ( ) Davis and Judith to William Clark, £65, 65 acres on Jackson's River, formerly conveyed by Thomas Hughart to John, May, 1762. Delivered to William Clark, September, 1765.
- Page 200 - John Davis, 153 acres, branch of Jackson River. Adjoining William Cunningham. October 10, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 72].
- Page 318.--19th May, 1754. Adam Dickinson to William Dean, £75, 327 acres part of 820 acres patented to Adam as above on Jackson River; corner James Boreland on Indian Camp Creek. Teste: Archibald Boreland. Delivered to John Dean. 1765.
- Page 454.—17th August, 1753. John and David Standley (Handley) to John Dickinson, 546 acres on Falling Spring of Jackson River, lower end of the Sinking Spring. Teste: John Wardlaw.
- Page 451.--17th August, 1753. Adam Dickinson to James Dunlap, 875 acres on Meadow Creek of Jackson's River near the Indian Path. Patented to Adam 1st June, 1750. Teste: Charles Dunlap, John Robison.
- Page 421.--22d September, 1763. Thomas Fulton and Elisabeth to William Galloway, 165, 115 acres on west side Jackson's River, beginning about 3/4 mile above mouth of Cowpasture. Delivered: William Galloway. September, 1765.
- Page 423.—16th August, 1753. Thomas Lewis to Samuel Gay, 489 acres. Jackson's River, cor. tract in possession of John Lewis.
- Page 271 - Mary Gregory, 188 acres, Jackson River. Mentioned James Cunningham. April 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 93].
- Page 203.--1,000 acres on Jackson's River, patented to William Jackson, 1st June, 1750. Patent to Robert Hall, 7th February, 1784. Teste: A. Stuart, Joseph Jewell, Michael ( ) Cawley, J. Lyle, Jr.
- Page 487.--17th August, 1762. Joseph Carpenter to John Mann, £70, 230 acres on Jackson's River.
- Jeremiah Seely took a survey of 100 acres at the mouth of Dry Run in 1754. [Source: A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia, Ruebush, 1923].
- Page 64 - Land Survey, Jeremiah Seely, 200 acres, Falling Spring Valley. December 1, 1766. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 25].
- 1770 Botetourt David Tate (Margaret) to John Sproul and wife Margaret, 85A, £20, on Jackson River, known by name as “English Place”. [Botetourt County records].
- Page 208.--17th March, 1767. John ( ) Davis and Judey ( ) to David Tate, £17, 85 acres on Jackson's River. Delivered: David Tate. June, 1770.
- Page 119.--19th November, 1766. Robert Gay and Sarah ( ) to John Vance, £50, 133 acres, part of 664 acres conveyed to Robert by Robert Abercrombie, 23d October, 1760, on Back Creek, a branch of Jackson's River; corner Samuel Vance's part. Delivered: Samuel Vance, devisee, 7th November, 1797.
- Page 271 - John Vance, 54 acres, Jackson River. April 7, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 93].
- Page 121.--19th November, 1766. Same (From Robert Gay and Sarah) to Samuel Vance, £50 to the said Henry and Gay paid, 180 acres, part of 664 acres above, mouth of Naps Creek.
- Page 202 - Samuel Vance, 47 acres, Jackson River. October 9, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 73].
Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia