Need map of Cathey's River Area.
Cathey's River was the original name of Middle River, that runs through Beverley's Manor, a tributary of the Shennandoah. Its watershed includes Andersons Branch, Buffalo Lick Creek, Finley's Branch, McClure Run, Moffett's Branch, Jenning's Branch (on the road to the Great Calfpasture) and Walker's Run, as listed in the Chalkley's references below.
Note: Part of Cathey's River runs through the northeast section of Beverley Manor and some of the settlers appearing here will also be listed with the listing of settlers there.
From Chalkley's (listed in alphabetical order, based upon grantee/acquiree):
Note: only lists early settlers outside of Beverley Manor.
- (60) ( ) ye 2, 1738, survey for Wm. Allen, beginning at 2 White Oaks, draft of Cathie's River. ["Hume's Old Field Book"].
- Page 263.--21st May, 1747. James Bell to Thomas Armstrong, £20 current money Virginia; 400 acres on a branch of Cathey's River called Jennings Branch. Teste: Andrew Cowen, James Bell, Jr.; Thos. Rutlidge Acknowledged, 21st May, 1747. Rachel releases dower.
- James Bell acquired a patent of 400 acres "on Buffalo Lick Branch of Cathey's River", on 1 December, 1740.
- Page 288.--23d May, 1751. Robert Rallstone (Ralston) and Martha, to Thomas Bradshaw, 364 acres, Moffett's branch of Cathey's River; corner John Smith; patented to Robert, 15th December, 1749. Teste: William Snadon, Alex. Gardner.
- (17) May ye 9th, 1738, survey for John Brown beginning at Cathey's Kreek. ["Hume's Old Field Book"].
- James Cathey had land surveyed on Cathey's Creek on 10 May 1738. ["Hume's Old Field Book"].
- William Christall received a patent for 320 acres "on Jennings Creek" on 10th July 1767.
- Page 192.----17th August, 1774. Charles Philips to John Crawford, on Buffelo Lick Branch, a branch of Cathey's River, part of tract patented to James Bell. deceased, 1st December, 1740, and devised to William and James Bell by will of James Bell. Delivered: Hugh Brown, August, 1779.
- John Crawford, 398 acres, Buffillo Branch. Adjoining John Wood, Phillips, William Bell, Francis Gardiner, Sagars. October 28, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86].
- William Cunningham received a patent for "90 acres on head of Moffett's Branch" on 12th February 1755.
- Matthew Edmiston was an early settler near Jenning's Creek, prior to February, 1746.
- Page 351.--28th May, 1747. John Trimble to John Ellote, £10; 200 acres on head of South Fork of Jennings Branch, North Fork of Buffilo Lick Brance. Teste: Jno. Harvey, James Porteus, John Madison. Acknowledged, 19th August, 1747.
- Page 291.--18th June, 1763. John Ramsey to Charles Floyd, £7, 90 acres near Jennings' Gap. Deceased, Charles Floyd, 25th January, 1775.
- Page 366.—28th November, 1749. John Finley to Alexander Gardner, 183 acres on Finley's Branch of Cathey's River, William Anderson's line. Delivered: John Archer, November, 1753. Teste: Robert Scott, James McCorkall, Francis Beaty.
- Page 27.--11th February, 1745-6. Daniel McEnair, Gent., to Thomas Gardiner, "Sawer," £18 current money of Virginia; 165 acres on Jennings Creek, part of 400 acres granted to Caniel by patent. Witnesses, Silas Hart, Matt Edmiston, James Trimble. Acknowledged by Daniel and Hannah, his wife, 11th February, 1745-6.
- Page 259.--1st May, 1747. James Rentfroe (Renfro), of Lunenburg County, to Archibald Graem (Gream/Graham), of Augusta, £_____ current money Virginia; 148 acres patented to _____, 28th September, 1745; near Buffalo Creek.-- James Rentfro, Esther Rentfro. Teste: Robert Mountgomery, Patrick Shirkey, James Mountgomery. Proved by first two witnesses, 21st May, 1747, and by last 18th May, 1749.
- Page 89.—15th February, 1748. Robert Rennick to Silas Hart, mason, part of 400 acres patented to Robt., 10th June, 1740; Buffilo Lick Branch. Elizabeth, wife of Robert.
- Page 405.—26th February, 1749. John Kerr to John Hind, 100 acres in a loop neck of Cathey's River; Thomas Storey's line. Dower released by Lucy, wife of John Kerr. Delivered: William Hinds, December, 1754. Teste: Francis Beaty, John Pickens.
- Page 265 - Bryant Keney, 80 acres, Jennings Branch. Adjoining Michael Hogshead, Robert McKitrick, Hugh Johnson. April 5, 1775. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 92].
- Page 207.--19th November, 1755. Wm. Cunningham and Gennet ( ) to Chas. Killpatrick (Kilpatrick), £14, 90 acres on head of Moffett's Branch, patented to William 12th February, 1755. Teste: John Davis, James Hogshead, John Malkem. Delivered: James Lockhart, 17th May, 1757.
- Page 196.—17th May, 1749. James Bell and Rachel to James Kirk, 400 acres Cathey's River; Jennings Branch. Teste: Andrew Boyd, Alexander Crafford. Delivered Ro. Armstrong 5th March, 1753.
- (61) 9 ber ye 3, 1738, survey for John Lowery, beginning ( ) William Allen, (draft of Cathie's River). [From "Hume's Old Field Book"].
- Page 244 - George Moffett, 160 acres, Jennings Branch. Adjoining Daniel McOnails (or McAnails [sic. s/b McNare]), John Beard. February 9, 1775. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86].
- Page 456.--On Jennings Branch and Middle River, 625 acres patented to Daniel McNare 1st February, 1781; also 96 acres patented to said Daniel 20th July, 1768. Teste: Rebekah and Hanna Sawyers, Wm. Buchanan.
- Page 395.—28th November, 17—, William King, blacksmith, to John Nickoll, 400 acres on Moffett's branch of Cathey's River. Ralston's Path. Patented to William King, 10th February, 1748. Teste: Robert Ralstone. Delivered: Alexander Gibson.
- Page 244 - Robert and Andrew Nicholl, 270 acres, Moffett's Branch. November 25, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86]. (
- Page 59.--17th October, 1787. John Gardner and Elizabeth, and James Griffith and Mary, to John Poage, on head branches of Falling Spring, patented to George King, 1770.
- Robert Ralston received a patent for 364 acres on "Moffett's branch of Cathey's River; corner John Smith" on 15 December 1749.
- James Renfro acquired 148 acres "near Buffalo Creek" in a patent (most likely from William Beverley) on 28 Sept. 1745, according to the record listed below in Augusta County. (Note: since deeds were not recorded in Augusta County until late 1745, the record of the original patent is most likely located in the Orange County (the predecessor county of Augusta), Virginia records).
- Page 428.--15th March, 1757. Matthew Edmiston and Margaret to Jno. Richey, £32, 76 acres on a draft of Joining's (s/b Jenning's) branch. Teste: Wm. Wallace, Samuel Colwell.
- Page 15.-- 10th February, 1745-6. James Givvons (order book says James Givens) to Hugh Ross, £10 Pennsylvania money, 170 acres on west side Cathey's River called Walker's Run, Benjamin Allen's road. Acknowledged, 10th February, 1745.
- Page 362.—28th November, 1749. John Archer and Rebecca, his wife, to James Sayers (Sawyers), 225 acres; Buffalo Lick Creek, a branch of Cathey's River. Corner Ro. Renick. Delivered: Samson Archer, March, 1759.
Link to return back to Article: Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Help fund new features!