- Ephemeral Source] Fo extract, citing: :The Woods Family Magazine. Vol. 6(2): July 1978. Itself citing "Albemarle Co., VA Wills, 1748-1800"
- Wheeler Family Genealogy, January 2011 for text of will
- person:Michael Woods (1)
- Notebook. Albemarle County Wills Related to the Woods, Walker, and Cowan Families
"Albemarle Co., VA Wills, 1748-1800"
- B/129 -- Michael Woods' will, dated 24 Nov 1761 - proven 11 Jun 1762.
- Sons Archibald and John, and
- daughter Hannah
- Margaret's (deceased) children;
- children of William Wallace.
- Son William Woods;
- daughter Sarah;
- Grandson Michael, son of Archibald. Executors:
- sons Archibald adn John Woods and William Wallace. (Administers?)
- Wit.: Michael Woods and Michael Wallace.
- In the name of God, Amen, this twenty fourth Day of November One thousand seven Hundred and Sixty one, I, Michael Woods of the Colony of Virginia and County of Albemarle, being very sick and weak in Body, But of Perfect mind and memory thanks to God, Therefore calling to mind the Mortality of my Body and Knowing that it is apointed for all men once to Die, Do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament that is to say principally and first of all, I Give and Recommend my Soul into the Hands of Almighty God that gave it and my Body I Recommend to the Earth, to be Buried in Decent Christian Burial, and as touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to Bless me in this Life, I give devise and Dispose of in the following manner and form.
- Firstly, Get all my Debts paid.
- Second, I give and bequeath to my Son Archibald Woods ten pounds.
- Thirdly, I give and bequeath to my Son John Woods Ten pounds.
- Fourthly, I give and bequeath to Daughter Sarah Ten Pounds,
- Fifthly, I give and Bequeath to daughter Hannah Ten pounds,
- Sixthly, I give and Bequeath my Deceased Daughter Margaret's children Ten Pounds.
- Seventhly, I give and bequeath to Son Archibald and Son John my six hundred and eighty acres of Land Lying on Ivy Creek and the said Land shall be Sold and the Money Divided among Sons John and William Wallace's Families and that each Grand child now in being shall have an Equall Share.
- Eighthly, I give and bequeath to Son William Woods Twenty Shillings which shall be paid out of Said Land.
- Ninthly, I give to William's Son Michael Twenty Shillings which shall be paid out of Such Land.
- Tenthly I give and bequeath to Daughter Sarah one pistole which Shall be of the Ready money now By me.
- Eleventhly, I give and Bequeath to Son Archibald's Son Michael my Great Coat.
- And I do hereby utterly revoke and disallow all and every other former Testaments Wills Legatees Bequeaths and Executions by me in any ways before named Willed and Bequeathed, Ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof, I have hereunto Set my Hand and Seal the Day and Year above written.
- /s/ Michael Woods
- Signed Sealed Published Pronounced
- and Declared by the said Michael Woods
- as his last Will and Testament
- in presence of us the
- Michael Woods, Minor
- Michael Wallace
- I Do by this presents constitute and appoint Son Archibald Woods, John Woods & William Wallace to be my Sole Executors as Witness my hand the year A.D. above written.
- /s/ Michael Woods
Help fund new features!