- Intermediate Sources:
- Source:Rankin, 1934
- Buffalo Presbyterian Church Cemetery
- Source:Donnell, et al. 1994
- early Church members
- Buffalo Presbyterian Church, Guilford, Rowan County, NC
- Source:Adams, 2009
- The Nottingham Settlement
The Nottingham Colony initially secured 33 grants, each comprised of one section (640 acres). Some members of the colony took up more than one section. Source:Rankin, 1934 identified 19 members of the Nottingham Colony, noting that this was not a complete list, but that some of the original colonists did not remain in the area, died, etc. Rankin thought that all of the colonists were members of the Buffalo Creek Presbyterian Congregation, but others (Source:Donnell, et al. 1994 think otherwise
One error that Rev. Rankin makes is in assuming that people who lived near Buffalo Church must have belonged to it. There were Quakers living next-door to some of these Scots-Irish families, but that didn't make them Presbyterians and members of Buffalo Church.
||located on the Reedy Fork near the mouth of Horsepen Creek.
||John, Robert, James, David, Jean and others.
- David became a Presbyterian minister; Robert (1754-1838) located near Speedwell Church in Rockingham County; James moved to Georgia; Jean married first Mr. Walker, and after his death she married Adam Scott, and was the mother of Thomas Barr Scott; John Barr moved to Alabama.
|Thomas Beals ||secured his section of land on Horsepen Creek.|| So far as the records show he left but one son, John. John wa a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and died in 1778, perhaps from exposure at Valley Forge, Pa. He left a widow, Sarah, and several children. ||Thomas Beals must have died before the War.
|George Black|| secured his section on the Reedy Fork. ||He left at least two children, Thomas and Jean. Thomas married Rebecca, daughter of William Denny and granddaughter of James, Sr., and located on North Buffalo; Jean married William Gorrell, son of Ralph, Sr., in 1791.||He appears to have been a young man when he came.
|John Blair* ||secured his section on the headwaters of North Buffalo. On January 2, 1765, he sold this to Dr. Caldwell, and located on the Reedy Fork. ||Jean,|| children were Thomas, John, Andrew, Jonathan, Jean and Martha. ||All this family moved away. John Blair, Sr., died in 1778.
|John Cummings ||secured his grant on Reedy Fork.|| He had at least two sons, George and John. George married Mary, daughter of Moses McQuiston, and located near the Rockingham County line, and his descendants are in that county; John located several miles west of the church, and his descendants are now living in the county.||
|John Cunningham* ||secured his section of 640 acres on the Reedy Fork, near what is now the Hardie Mill. || Mary, ||Children:
- Jean married William Wilson in 1774;
- James appears to have moved to Tennessee after the War;
- Joseph, no record;
- Jeremiah married Hannah, daughter of John Coots in 1779;
- William married Martha, daughter of John Blair, in 1771;
- Hugh, no record after the War;
- Mary married William Smith, son of Robert, Sr.;
- John, Jr., married first Margaret, daughter of James Donnell, Sr., in 1786; second, Mrs. Mary Mitchell McMurray, in 1798, widow of John McMurray, Jr., and daughter of Adam Mitchell, Jr., and third, Polly, daughter of James Finley, in 1818. The children of John, Jr., by the first marriage were James (1787-1821), Isabella and John (1795-1817); and by his second marriage, Mitchell (1799-1842), Hannah (1801-1844), Joseph, Polly (1805-1877), William, Andrew, Elizabeth and Nancy (1817-1828). Of the children of John, Jr., James married Mary B., daughter of James Patrick, of Rockingham County; Isabella married Mr. Sims; Hannah married Ervin Donnell, son of Daniel, in 1818; Joseph married Abigail Peoples in 1833 and located two miles south of Doggett's Mill; Polly married William Pritchett in 1823; William died unmarried; Andrew married Elizabeth, daughter of Col. Nehemiah Whittington, in 1849, and lived in Greensboro; Elizabeth married Christopher Brown in 1835; Nancy died unmarried. We have no record of the marriage of Mitchell.
|Robert Donnell, Sr.,* ||secured two sections, one on North Buffalo and one on Reedy Fork. He first located on North Buffalo and later moved to Reedy Fork. In 1786 he bought one thousand acres on Big Troublesome Creek in Rockingham County. H|| Mary,|| children were Robert, John, Thomas, Mary, Margaret and William. Robert married Catherine McCalib in 1776; John married Sarah, daughter of Robert Connell, the 2nd, in 1779; Thomas became a Presbyterian minister; Mary married first James Denny, son of William, Sr., and second, John McAdoo in 1782; William married Martha, daughter of William Denny, Jr., and located on Big Troublesome Creek, Rockingham County.||the brother of Thomas Donnell
|Thomas Donnell*|| He located on North Buffalo, four miles east of the church. ||Jane Latham||His children were James (1744-1811), Hannah (1746-____), John (1748-1822), William (1749-1822), Robert (1752-1816), Thomas (1754-____), Andrew (1757-1835), George (1759-____), Jane, Latham (____-1828) and Alexander, who died young. James married Agnes, daughter of William Denny, Sr., and lived just north of the John Rankin farm. In 1799 he moved to Tennessee. Hannah married first Alexander McKnight and second George Denny, son of James, Sr., in 1775; Major John married first Hannah Meek in 1771, and second Elizabeth, daughter of James Denny, Sr., in 1781; William married Nancy, daughter of James Denny, Sr.; Robert married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Donnell, the 2nd, in 1775; Thomas became a physician and located in Mecklenburg County; Andrew married first Agnes, daughter of John Brawley, in 1779, and second Mary Creswell in 1819; George married Isabella, daughter of David Kerr, in 1784, and lived near Alamance Church, in which he was a ruling elder. In 1804 he moved to Wilson County, Tennessee, and his son George became a renowned Cumberland Presbyterian minister; Latham married Mrs. Charlotte Ervin, widow of Robert and daughter of Adam Mitchell.||1712-1795; was born in Ireland, came to Pennsylvania about 1737, and there he married Jane Latham in 1743. He came to North Carolina with the Nottingham Colony and secured grants to three sections of land.
|Hugh Foster ||secured a grant for 640 acres on Horsepen Creek. ||Martha,||children were John, William, Samuel, James, and perhaps others. John married Grace, daughter of Nathan Dicks, and located on North Buffalo in 1771, and their children were Abigail, Nathan, Elmira, and Joshua.
 ||He was a justice of the peace in Rowan County before Guilford was formed.
|John McClintock* ||secured his section of land near Martinsville. || Isabella, ||children were John, William, Samuel, Robert, Isabella (1768-1818), Nancy, Margaret, and another daughter who became the second wife of James Coots. John married Isabella, daughter of John Starrett; William married Sarah, daughter of Edward Weatherly; Samuel married Anne, daughter of James Stafford; Robert married and located on the Reedy Fork; Isabella married James Dick, son of William, and was the mother of Judge John McClintock dick and six other children; Nancy married John Ballinger; Margaret married Samuel Thompson. ||John McClintock, Sr., died in 1807.
|James McQuiston* ||located on Richland Creek of Reedy Fork. || Janett
- Jane married Thomas Flack;
- Lavinia married John Nelson in 1764;
- Dorcas, married John McQuiston, son of Thomas, in 1768;
- Gustavius moved to Tennessee;
- Thomas and
- James, Jr., was tried before the session for fighting and withdrew from the church, and deeded to the McQuiston family a plot on his farm for a graveyard.
|James, Sr., died in 1766. Brother to Robert and Thomas McCuiston
|Robert McQuiston*|| located near his brother at the mouth of Horsepen Creek. || Anne,|| children were Moses, Walter, James, Robert, Jean, Margery, Sarah and Mary. Moses married Elizabeth, perhaps a daughter of Alexander Nelson; Jean married James Finley, son of George; Margery married John Trindell; Sarah married Robert Cherry in 1769; Mary married John Coots in 1769, and she was his second wife. ||Robert McQuiston, Sr., died in 1766. Brother to James and Thomas McCuiston
|Thomas McQuiston, Sr.,*||located on the headwaters of North Buffalo, and was a neighbor of Dr. Caldwell. ||His children were James, Thomas, John and others.||Brother to Robert and Thomas McCuiston
|Adam Mitchell* ||secured his grant on the North Buffalo. The church is located on a part of his grant. ||Mary, ||Children: John, Adam, Jr., and Jennet.
- John; name does not appear on any record after the War;
- Jennet married her first cousin, Adam Mitchell, son of Robert;
- Adam, Jr., married Agnes, and their children were Samuel (1771-1851), John (1773-1841), Adam (1776-1841), Mary and Charlotte. Of the children of Adam Mitchell, Jr., Samuel married Margaret, daughter of John McMurray, Sr., in 1795; Adam married first Isabella Gwyn, and second Elizabeth Allen; Mary married first John McMurray, Jr., and second John Cunningham, Jr.; Charlotte married first Robert Ervin and second Latham Donnell; John never married.
|Robert Mitchell,* ||Secured his grant near the Guilford Battle Ground. ||Margaret, || children were Adam, Mary, Rebecca, Jean and Henry.|| All this family moved to Tennessee after the War. He was the brother of Adam Mitchell
|John Nicks* ||secured grants for two sections just east of the church.||Margaret, ||children were Sarah, George (1756-1838), John, Elizabeth, Nancy, Quinton, and two other daughters, one of whom married Bazell Brasher, and the other married Isaac Brasher, sons of Robert, and both moved to Tennessee after the War; Sarah married William Spruce and lived on the south side of North Buffalo; John moved to Tennessee after the War; Elizabeth married George Purcell of Rockingham County; Nancy married Zacheriah Roberts and moved to Tennessee after the War; Quinton died unmarried; George married Elizabeth, and their children were John, Sarah, Margaret, George, Elizabeth, Yarburough and Anne. George, Sr., lived at the J. Al Rankin place.|| John Nicks, Sr., died in 1781.
|Robert Rankin* ||secured his section on the waters of Reedy Fork, where the Carlson peach orchard is. He later sold this section to William Denny and secured another section about one mile west of the church.|| Rebecca,||their children were George, Robert, Rebecca, John and others. George died in 1761, leaving a widow, Lydia, and two children, Robert and John; Robert lived at the home of his father, and his children were Robert, William, John and others; John located on Reedy Fork and had one son, John, and perhaps others.|| All the male members of this Rankin family moved west, most of them to Tennessee. John Nicks entertained Rev. Hugh McAden, the missionary, in 1755.
|Samuel Scott* ||secured two sections of 640 acres each on the waters of the Reedy Fork, in what is now known as the Moore community. ||
||He had at least two sons, Samuel, Jr., and William. Samuel, Sr., returned to Pennsylvania, carrying all his family with him except Samuel, Jr., who had married and located here. Samuel, Jr., died shortly thereafter, leaving four children: Samuel, Jr. Jr., Jane, Mary and Anne, who married William Gowdy, Jr.; Jane married John Bell, son of Samuel, in 1778; Mary married Robert McMurray, son of John, Sr., in 1791; Samuel, Jr. Jr., married Jane, daughter of James McAdoo, Sr., in 1788, and their children were John, David, Samuel, Joseph L. and Mary. Samuel, Jr. Jr., died in 1797, and his widow married Col. William Ryan in 1799.
|Andrew Wilson ||located some three miles north of the church. ||married Margaret Robinson in 1774|
and this must have been his second wife.
|children of Andrew Wilson, Sr., by his first wife:
- James, located just north of the church;
- Andrew, Jr. (1752-1834),
- William located on Reedy Fork,
- David, moved to Tennessee after the War;
- John, No record
- George, on Record
- Mary married Robert Russell in 1762;
- Margaret married William Jackson, and they named one of their sons Andrew. This Andrew Jackson is sometimes confused with General Andrew Jackson, as both were here at the same time. Andrew Wilson, Jr. (1752-1834), located on South Buffalo, and built the first grist mill there, now known as the John C. Dick Mill. He married first Agnes, daughter of John Chambers, and their children were Daniel, Robert, and James; his second wife was Mary, daughter of Robert Rankin, and their children were William R. (1787-1855), Andrew and Maxwell; his third wife was Elizabeth, daughter of John McKnight, Sr., and their children were John and David (1798-1856).
|He died shortly after 1774. A deed of Andrew Wilson, Jr., calls for the boundary line of the widow Wilson's land.
- ↑ Note by Guilford County GenWeb Coordinator: This Dicks family was Quaker and not the same family as the Dick family of Buffalo Church.
Help fund new features!