From Abingdon Website
In 1760 Colonel William Byrd and his regiment of men cut the Great Road through what is now Abingdon and on to present-day Kingsport, Tennessee. During that same year, Daniel Boone came and camped in Abingdon. Along with his companion, Nathaniel Gist, he was on his way through the area on a hunting trip. While they camped here, wolves emerged from a cave before them and attacked their dogs. Boone then gave Abingdon its first name, "Wolf Hills." Today, the Cave House Craft Shop sits on the site of the wolves' den.
Abingdon carried the name of "Wolf Hills" until 1774 when Joseph Black erected a fort in the area, and gave it the name "Black's Fort." After fierce Indian invasions, the fort was enlarged to hold up to 600 men, women, and children. Here, the townspeople remained during the raiding season from early spring to late fall.