Andrew, David, William, and Samuel Cowan settled in Southwest Virginia between 1769 and 1772. David is known to have come to the area by 1769, but Andrew, Samuel and William are thought to have come somewhat later (c. 1772). The later three married daughters of John Walker III and Ann Houston of the Wigton Walker line, and settled in the Castle's Woods area of modern Scott County. All four are thought to be related to each other, but the exact nature of the relationship is unclear. We'd like to know where these Cowans came from prior to their appearance in Southwest Virginia.
3d June, 1762. George Bigham, late of Augusta, to Robert Erwin, yeoman, £32.5, 251 acres on Muddy Creek of Shanando. 'Teste: Andrew Cowan, Robert Hamilton and James ( ) McNabb. Acknowledged, 17th August, 1762. Delivered: Francis Erwin, 9th July, 1773.
18th March, 1771. William Currey to James Currey, £20, 130 acres in Beverley Manor; corner McCorkel's land; corner James Moody, Andrew Cowan's line; corner William Curry. Teste: George McAfee, Wliliam Cowan. Delivered: James Curry. 1st June, 1773.
John Montgomery of Russel County, aged 47 years, deposes, 11th March, 1811, in 1778 Andrew Cowan and Thos. Osborn went down to improve a piece of land on a creek they called Black Water at the Flat Lick, and on their return they came by Kooser's (Hoovers) cabin. Black Water is a north Branch of Clynch.
17th November, 1778. David Kerr to Robert Donaldson, 230 acres, part of the tract that Andrew Cowan lived on in Beverley Manor. (See deed Donaldson to Kerr next succeeding.)